New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Import Catalog over WAN?

oguruma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Import Catalog over WAN?

I should be getting my Macbook pro back from Apple soon, and I am looking forward to experimenting with LR CC on it. I am curious: is there any issue with backing up my LR Catalog to a NAS, then downloading it to edit photos on the Macbook?

For example: I take a bunch of pictures, and import them to a local disk, then copy them to an External HDD attached to my Windows machine. I edit the photos some, and then take the external HDD and my Macbook to a coffee shop. I forget to save the catalog to the external HDD, but it is backed up to my NAS. Can I import the catalog over WAN and pick up where I left off?

Would I run into issues in terms of telling LR that the original raw files are located on a new drive, not the one they were originally imported to?

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Import Catalog over WAN?

with the catalogue you'd have no issues . it would need to be downloaded to the local machine and run from there .
but with the images if the machine can't see them then LR will just show a grey box . If the LRcat on the NAS has a preview file with it then you will be able to navigate in the LIBRARY mode . if you create and store SMART PREVIEWS you will be able to edit (but stuff like NR and sharpening isn't recommended on smart previews )

Jan 17, 2016 at 02:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Import Catalog over WAN?

OK Ive re read your OP :

do you mean you have the images (raw) files on the external disk but have forgotten to include the LRcat file ?

if so you can pull the cat file down from your NAS and run it . but you will have to point LR at the raw files (if you keep them in a Parent folder you only have to point LR to the top of the tree )

then when your back at your main machine you will need to point LR at the original location

Jan 17, 2016 at 02:53 AM
oguruma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Import Catalog over WAN?

Thanks for everybody's input. So I guess my question is: Let's say I download my catalog onto my laptop, and I edit photos. My wife gets on my desktop at the same time, and begins editing photos. Now, is there any way to merge these two catalogs? Is there any way to support two simultaneous users without having to deal with having two different catalogs?

Jan 21, 2016 at 08:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Import Catalog over WAN?

oguruma wrote:
Thanks for everybody's input. So I guess my question is: Let's say I download my catalog onto my laptop, and I edit photos. My wife gets on my desktop at the same time, and begins editing photos. Now, is there any way to merge these two catalogs? Is there any way to support two simultaneous users without having to deal with having two different catalogs?

on the 2nd point : LR is not multi (simultaneous ) user . you cannot both work on the same cat . its one of the reasons LR is designed to have the cat file live on the machine it runs on rather than on a network drive .

on the first point :

you can import 1 catalogue into another . but in this case I would advise against it . I've tried exporting a cat with a couple of thousand smart previews and then reimporting it and its either been really sow to import or it just plain didn't work . with less images it works fine . i would be more inclined to export a cat (with only the images you worked on ) on the laptop and then import that cat onto your desktop machine .

i will add that when doing anything like this make sure you have a robust and uptodate backup of the cat file . and in this case not just of the one on the desktop .

Jan 22, 2016 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.