Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

PIOK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

I left at the plane my Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer Filter

I want to buy a new one - up to 160 USD *****

1) Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer II Filter - Now $129 ( I like this one a lot and I think is very good )

2) I have B+W 67mm Circular Polarizer MRC Filter ( $71 Now - I paid 113 in 2013 ***** colors not so nice like with Nikon and Very Difficult to clean - will not buy it again )

3) I also have Hoya 77mm ( I don't know model but did not cost more than $80 - don't even come close to Nikon colors )

So I am ready to spent $160... What could be better choice than NIKON ?
There is 3 B&W Filters from 140 - 175 USD. Any other options or just get Nikon again

Jan 15, 2016 at 09:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

http://breakthrough.photography/product/x4-circular-polarizer/

at this point I have to say this is the best thought out CPL I have seen and used so far. I have pretty much unloaded the others I have and this is the only one I use now. more neutral and higher light throughput and extremely slim. the multicoating allows for easy cleaning. worth every penny. and its 14900 pennies or $149us +shipping.

their round ND filters are the most neutral around too that I have seen and own 2 of them 6 and 10 stop.

I use the 82mm and step down from there.

Edited on Jan 15, 2016 at 12:51 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:01 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

Thats a serious recommendation, sjms does not impress easily. Will have to look into it.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:58 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

Looked at BP's X4 CPL yesterday as a matter of fact, and am strongly considering it. There's currently a 4-6 week wait on new orders for the 67mm size; not sure about other sizes.

Which raises the following question: when using a larger version of the filter and step down rings, what do you do if you also need to use a lens hood? I used to use a Cokin X-PRO X350 bellows hood, but sold that off a few years back.

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

your not using a hood when your playing with a CPL. at least I haven't over the past 40 years of polarizer use. if at all I pop out a small 10" sunshade if on a set of legs. your access to your CPL is pretty limited by the length of the hood or you can get a matching screw on one if you really feel you need it. I don't buy multiple $150 filters if I can avoid it.

Edited on Jan 15, 2016 at 01:31 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:28 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

I often use those screw-on rubber collapsable hoods in that case. vignetting is a possibility depending on the lens etc. I suppose you could Dremel a slot in the plastic bayonet mount ones but YMMV.

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:30 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

Ah, yup, you're right. The thought came up while I was thinking of when I might use a CPL and what I might do to handle harsh light in conjunction with it. A sunshade would do the trick on a tripod.

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:32 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

how about something that attaches to your hat or head, w/ those plastic thingys used in CNC machining. That would hold a flag. So basically when your head is in viewfinder position, the flag is blocking the sun.

Of course, you'd have to deal w/ the ridicule

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:39 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

howardm4 wrote:
how about something that attaches to your hat or head, w/ those plastic thingys used in CNC machining. That would hold a flag. So basically when your head is in viewfinder position, the flag is blocking the sun.

Of course, you'd have to deal w/ the ridicule

...and a t-shirt that says "photographer."

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:44 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

or the popular variation of a VAL....

VAS (voice activated sunshade, aka, wife)

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:55 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

I have high hopes for the Breakthrough circular polarizers, but they are brand new, and the two I ordered in the initial offering have not yet arrived. My go to filter for polarizers for many years has been B+W, and you might want to consider them as an alternative to waiting for Breakthrough. Besides places like B&H, there is company that specializes in filters, and they provide good service and reasonable prices. Here is a link:

http://www.2filter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/BW_XSPro_Circular_Polarizers.html

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:58 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

howardm4 wrote:

Ridicule, I'm not afraid of. But a wife...

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:59 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

Roland W wrote:
I have high hopes for the Breakthrough circular polarizers, but they are brand new, and the two I ordered in the initial offering have not yet arrived. My go to filter for polarizers for many years has been B+W, and you might want to consider them as an alternative to waiting for Breakthrough. Besides places like B&H, there is company that specializes in filters, and they provide good service and reasonable prices. Here is a link:

Thought of that also. I've used 2filter in the past (a few years back) and they provided excellent service.

Jan 15, 2016 at 02:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

howardm4 wrote:

that function's been inoperative for a long time.

Jan 15, 2016 at 02:05 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

smart man

Jan 15, 2016 at 02:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

jancohen wrote:
Thought of that also. I've used 2filter in the past (a few years back) and they provided excellent service.

absolutely the do. I still do use them. I stop by on my way into the Whites.

Jan 15, 2016 at 02:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

Roland W wrote:

I know its going to take a bit of time but these days I seem to be less in a hurry to let my money leave my wallet. after using the Tiffen Digital HT (High Transmission) polarizers to begin with I stopped working with my B+W because of the light loss differences between the two (filter factor) due to the newer foils used by Tiffen. so I sold off the B+W stuff awhile back (about 3 maybe 4 years ago). BT looks to be using the same and or slightly improved versions of these foils in theirs. I wish I had a 3 year old B+W filter still to show you the rather pronounced difference which was over 1/3 stop. only recently has B+W come out with their HTC version.

so I still have a 77mm Tiffen and now a 82mm BT. I am currently using the BT one only. (yes its only been a few weeks )

on the subject of the frames. yes, the BT frame has, i'm going to hate saying it, better traction/grip for use with and w/o gloves.

Edited on Jan 16, 2016 at 03:40 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2016 at 09:28 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

Believe me, I'm very tempted by BP's latest offerings, even with the wait that's currently involved.

I've got an older 82mm B+W E KSM -C CPL filter that I've been thinking about replacing, but am going to wait until I've had a chance to test it with a 100 MP that's showing up Monday.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

the only difference will be the increased light input and any angle with the BT along with easier handling overall.

Jan 16, 2016 at 05:41 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 77mm Circular Polarizer - what to buy ?

I bought again - Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer II Filter - should be fine ....

Jan 28, 2016 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.