New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Telephoto landscape

sinecure

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Telephoto landscape

Here's a sharper landscape than my last one.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Corrected dust and CA.

Across the water

Edited on Jan 14, 2016 at 11:36 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:18 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Telephoto landscape

I like the clouds on the mountains, but the bottom half of the image seems pretty uninteresting...also there is a lot of digital noise. There also seems to be severe chromatic aberration at the top of the mountain. That should be easy to fix with post processing.

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:58 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Telephoto landscape

+1 @ Jim - I'd crop a bit under the clouds and fix that CA in post.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jan 14, 2016 at 03:13 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Telephoto landscape

I think I was probably over generous with my comments. The quality of this image looks really bad. I would guess it was taken with an old cellphone camera except there are dark spots which seem to be sensor dust.

Jan 14, 2016 at 03:45 PM
sinecure

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Telephoto landscape

OK, I'll double check for dust it. It was a long exposure that I'm sure is magnifying issues. Seeing what I can do about the CA in post. ISO was 100, f22, 400mm, 25sec exposure.

Jan 14, 2016 at 04:39 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Telephoto landscape

sinecure wrote:
OK, I'll double check for dust it. It was a long exposure that I'm sure is magnifying issues. Seeing what I can do about the CA in post. ISO was 100, f22, 400mm, 25sec exposure.

Why f22?

Jan 14, 2016 at 05:38 PM
sinecure

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Telephoto landscape

I wanted a long exposure to blur the clouds.

Jan 14, 2016 at 06:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Telephoto landscape

+1 @ f22

Diffraction inducing, but combining it with long exposure times will make for an even greater degree of image degradation from shot noise in the long exposure ... both adding to a reduction in sharpness.

Instead of f/22 @ 25 sec @ ISO 100. I'd think something more like f11 or f8 would be a better choice optically, for a 2-3 stop gain in exposure and less diffraction. DOF variance should be negligible at that distance.

So, a three stop variance in aperture, could equate to a 3 stop variance in shutter, which would take 25 sec, down to 3 sec exposure. Combine that with a two stop ISO bump to ISO 400 and you now have an exposure just under 1 sec without much degradation from ISO noise amplification.

Certainly other combinations exist, but f22 just doesn't strike me as anything helping the image.

Jan 14, 2016 at 06:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Telephoto landscape

sinecure wrote:
I wanted a long exposure to blur the clouds.

Gotcha @ using ISO & aperture to achieve longer exposure. I'm not so sure that the "blur" of the clouds in this one is really conveying the vibe that you might have been going for ... they just kinda look soft, like the whole image does, so without the delta / variance between the clouds vs. static, the motion / blur of the clouds doesn't really come across to the viewer well, imo. I think it is probably a swing (dig the try ) and a miss for me on this one because of the detracting factors.

Sometimes we have to weigh the pro's / con's of our strategy against our outcomes. Maybe a different strategy could have been for time lapse / multiple images to get the differing placement of the clouds (retaining a higher IQ for the static areas) and subsequent composting PP for the motion.

As a former "purist", I certainly understand the try for a long shutter duration too. Maybe using a polarizer / ND filter instead of f22 could have been plausible. But, even with that I'd likely still have shot a bracket set for the static aspects for optimal IQ over f22. I mean, if you are stable enough to shoot 25 sec, then bracketing / stacking is no hill for a climber either.

Also, I think the heavy CA is an attribute of long duration rim lighting that a shorter shutter could have greatly mitigated.

HTH

Edited on Jan 14, 2016 at 10:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2016 at 06:42 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Telephoto landscape

Ouch!

Jan 14, 2016 at 08:50 PM
sinecure

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Telephoto landscape

Thanks Rusty. I appreciate the constructive criticism. I'm new to removing CA in post, so I'll definitely invest some time there. Noted on the f22, it was as you said a swing and a miss.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Telephoto landscape

The nice thing about when we "swing and miss" ... well, we get WAY MORE than just three strikes before we have to go sit down.

I can't begin to image how many times Ansel and others missed the mark along the way. Kinda like Babe Ruth, we hear mostly about the home runs, but the truth is there were a whole lot of strikeouts that don't get talked about very often.

Swing and a miss ... hey, that just means you're in the game instead of the bleachers.
Before you know it, the next one is on its way, so be alert and forever steadfast.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:10 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.