Archive 2016 · My friend Kesava

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My friend Kesava

A quick portrait from New Years:
http://bainesphoto.com/webpost/kez-001.jpg
Rolleiflex 3.5F, Portra 400.

Also, if any of you are so inclined, I rolled out a new website at http://www.evanbaines.com and I would love any feedback on that.

Jan 14, 2016 at 09:12 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My friend Kesava

Nice, Evan! Is that window light you're using here? Checked out your website, really like what you have there. I think I've already seen every picture on there already, I was hoping to find a few new surprises. Saw a few new ones with the travel shots and the "where we eat" series.

One thing I really like about your website is the separation of b&w and color images. I think it's pretty cool how you see some images with color, and others in b&w. Also, I really liked seeing the military portraits side by side like that. They really stood out to me.

Great job, keep 'em coming!

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My friend Kesava

Thanks Ron!

Yeah its north light in our apartment with a simple blue seamless backdrop. We have nice light.

Thanks for checking out the site! I've got a big project coming out over the next few months and I wanted the site to be ready for it.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:19 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My friend Kesava

Nice work as always, your portraits are so consistently solid.

I checked out the site and really enjoyed the work you've posted. I remember when you started the how we eat work, but hadn't seen anything on the topic since then (I think it was a nashville burger joint at night?). It's a good commentary.

Your landscape work has definitely improved as well.

I know nothing about websites (or photography if I'm being honest) so take this with a grain of salt.... but, the one part that's a little distracting is the way the it scrolls. The photo being highlighted is centered, but the next up is often cut off and the eye tends to wander to a partial photo. Some form of demarcation could help; maybe a break in between photos or graying out the non centered photo?

Best,
Dave

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:57 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My friend Kesava

Hi Evan,

Is there a reason you chose to shoot down on him?

Just need to know intent. Also is this part of series of portraits of him? I really like the B&W of him on your site and the site looks good. Easy to move around and not over saturated with work.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My friend Kesava

Thanks all!

I am interested in whether anyone sees a particular vibe in the portrait, so I'll refrain from answering the angle question publicly.

I see what you mean Dave about the pictures... I may play with adding a break and see how it looks.

Jan 15, 2016 at 08:34 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My friend Kesava

Evan Baines wrote:
I am interested in whether anyone sees a particular vibe in the portrait, so I'll refrain from answering the angle question publicly.

I can pull a few different interpretations or imaginings from the image, Evan... but the one I keep circling back to is something along the lines of:

Steady, but not at rest. The combination of his left arm/shoulder, the look in his eyes and the juxtaposition of his right and left collars suggest to me a mild tension - very subtly sort of coiled, if you will.

He isn't looking at me, he's looking through me. Something's on his mind. It may not be unpleasant or menacing, but it's not trivial.

Your angle of capture compresses his stature into a tighter, more tangible feel of all the above and the ever so slight tilt of his head to me implies a lean into whatever is on his mind.

The way he's cutting his eyes toward me suggests his focus was someplace else before turning attention my way, but he doesn't care enough to actually turn his head - adding to the sense that whatever his mind is on is his priority.

His mouth is largely benign. It could go either way but as is, provides little to no inference of mood or intent.

If I had to distill it down to a vibe, it would probably be intelligent, introspective street - somewhat tightly wound at the moment the shot was taken.

Or, he could have just plopped down, crossed his legs and draped his left arm over his knee.

Either way, I really like the portrait.

Chuck

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.