Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

davidnholtjr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

So, got my D500 ordered and now I need to get some faster cards because the old ones I used for my D300s will be to slow.

Would a Sony 32GB QDN32 XQD N Series Memory Card be fast enough for the D500 or just get the faster G Series for $50 more?

Now SD card, Sandisk 95 mb/s will they be fast enough or just get the 280 mb/s card?

Jan 13, 2016 at 06:01 PM
nismoxr34
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

You probably won't see the difference in write speeds with a good buffer. The only reason to go faster would be for the write speed into your computer.

The slower xqd are already as fast or faster than the fastest c.f. cards.

Jan 13, 2016 at 06:12 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

You need 4 aces David, then you can get a D5 as well.

Morris

Jan 13, 2016 at 06:32 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

It depends if you absolutely need the 20 seconds continu shooting with the fastest xqd card (400mb/s= 200 pictures before the buffre fill up)

With a 260mb/s you can take 74 pictures, so a 7.4 second before the buffer fill up

https://youtu.be/H1TD1Px5oVY

Jan 13, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

This one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086276-REG/sony_qd_g32a_32gb_g_series_xqd.html

Jan 13, 2016 at 09:42 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

The camera has a SDXC slot and this is the one I will be using. With the 200 RAW file buffer the write speed to the memory card is not important for the camera's use. I have never done a 20 shot burst much less a 200 shot burst in all my years of photography. There may be a benefit with video but I cannot see what it could be.

XQD cards that cost $140 for 64GB for the 200 MB/s as compared to $35 for a 1000x SDXC card that provides 160 MB/s are not a smart buy.

The version 2 XQD cards at 64GB sell for over $200 to provide 400 MB/s write speeds and are an even greater waste of money.

I can use the built-in SD card reader on my laptops but would have to use a special external card reader just for the XQD cards. Upload times might be 25% faster with the 4 times as expensive XQD cards but that provides no real benefit to me. I upload files while doing other work on the computer so whether it takes 10 minutes of 8 minutes has no impact at all. If I paid the 6x premium for version 2 XQD cards and could do the upload in 6 minutes instead of 10 minutes the extra hundreds of dollars spend for the cards and readers would still not provide a tangible benefit.

I want to reduce upload times with multiple SDXC cards it is simple enough to add a second SDXC card reader and cut my upload times by 50% and this would cost me $30 to accomplish.

There is a reason why no other camera manufacturer has adopted the XQD card for its cameras and why Nikon chose not to use it with its three 36MP cameras. Now we are gifted this unneeded third card format for two 21MP cameras. This really makes no sense at all.

Nikon is not even being honest with its customers as to the "benefits" of the XQD card with its statements on its website that the card permits higher fps rates. The increase in frames per second with the D5 and D500 is the result of the improved processing of analog data by the new EXPEED 5 processor. The processor has been the bottleneck for years. Compare cameras with EXPEED 4 processors and the fps is directly correlated to the amount of data per frame from the sensor. The D4s with 16MB of data per frame is twice as fast as the D810 with 36MB per frame and this is not the result of the D4 using XQD cards but with the camera's sensor providing less than half as much data to be processed with each shot taken.

This is further shown by the fps specs provided where it does not change with the type or speed of memory card used but does change with the image area or crop mode which affects the amount of data per shot and it does change with going to 12-bit RAW or 14-bit RAW as this again changes the volume of data that the EXPEED chips must process for each shot taken.

Sony's XQD memory card is the latest Betamax technology from this failing company. I suspect that Nikon has a business arrangement to help promote the XQD card format as part of its business relationship with regard to the development and use of camera sensors from Sony. I can see where Nikon has to help Sony with its XQD cards as part of its overall digital sensor business arrangement. This type of deal is common between companies and is often referred to as "bundling".

Nikon was not willing to bet the farm and so wisely provides D5 buyers with the option of a camera with two CF card slots and its D500 cameras with a SDXC slot in addition to the XQD slot. This indicates that there was push back on the D4/D4s for the XQD cards.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

elkhornsun wrote:
The camera has a SDXC slot and this is the one I will be using. With the 200 RAW file buffer the write speed to the memory card is not important for the camera's use. I have never done a 20 shot burst much less a 200 shot burst in all my years of photography. There may be a benefit with video but I cannot see what it could be.

The 200 RAW buffer quoted by Nikon is based on the buffer-clearing throughput of a 400 MB/s XQD card. With a 260 MB/s SD card the raw buffer capacity was 74 frames. I'm guessing the camera's actual raw buffer is closer to about 40 frames.

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

elkhornsun wrote:

XQD cards that cost $140 for 64GB for the 200 MB/s as compared to $35 for a 1000x SDXC card that provides 160 MB/s are not a smart buy.

The version
...Show more

too much coffee this morning? CF is a EOL product which has reached its technical limit. you either go to SATA aka CFast which is already a "mature" product that has a brick wall already in sight or PCIe which has legs and room to actually grow. the next "option" has yet to rear its head.

now we all know that CFast is an open standard and has been for many years. never got off the ground though the cards were around. now the cinema industry has taken to it to an extent but as with most of the tools of today there is modularity involved so it makes tech changes fairly easy.

now XQD is also an open standard as of 4 or so years ago to when the D4 came out. there are choices to make.

the D5 offers an option to go either way, straight to the wall or a more then possible/open ended future.

the price for XQD cards have already dropped by half and will reach a truly competitive range. like i said in another thread. for the majority it is a commodity and a consumable and in the long run a investment/write off.

i like the future.

on SDXC UHS-II. they are and always have been the "also ran" . i have a few.

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:13 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

Thanks for the replys, have some looking to do.

Jan 26, 2016 at 01:50 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

As Snapsy points out, the buffer size of 200 RAW files i only true if you use the fastest cards. Since there's also a chance that the cards you buy now will last longer than your camera, and your next camera will require even faster cards, I would buy the fastest cards that I can afford (which is exactly what I'm doing myself right now, after struggling with slow cards for my D810 for a year).

Jan 26, 2016 at 03:08 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

snapsy wrote:
The 200 RAW buffer quoted by Nikon is based on the buffer-clearing throughput of a 400 MB/s XQD card. With a 260 MB/s SD card the raw buffer capacity was 74 frames. I'm guessing the camera's actual raw buffer is closer to about 40 frames.

The real write speeds at this time for SDXC 1000x cards is 155 MB/s. The version 2 XQD cards that cost $140 for a 64GB card have write speeds up up to 210 MB/s (dependent on how fast the camera's processors can actually deliver the data to the card). The ver 2 XQD that have a 440 MB/s theoretical write speed cost $204 for a 64GB card.

To actually need a 200 file RAW buffer at 10 fps with the D500 one would have to shoot continuously for 20 full seconds. I would be interested in who has ever had a reason or occasion to shoot continuously at 10 fps for even 10 seconds and what they were photographing.

Where I have needed to use maximum fps settings with my cameras the actual action I was attempting to capture was over in less than 5 seconds. There is also the aspect of shooting at 10 fps and whether there is going to be any usable difference between frames 88, 89, 90, 91, etc that requires shooting 200 frames to be safe.

For my part whether shooting motor sports or wildlife I have not needed 10 fps and used a slower setting to get fewer nearly identical images that I would have to sort through and delete later. This also speaks to the workflow problems with the amount of time it takes to import 2000 RAW image files at the end of the day into Lightroom or to get them processed in Bridge to be able to start to review and delete duplicates. The bottleneck has simply been moved to the computer from the card reader and there is no net time savings, quite the opposite.

Take a look at your own pictures taken over the past years and see how often you missed something because you could only capture 30 frames before filling the buffer. The Canon 1d X by the way has a 37 RAW file buffer but I have yet to read of someone commenting about shots they missed as a result.

There is a point where the product marketing people are using a capability to hype their product as being better than a competitors even though it has no difference in real world use. It is like Ford and Chevy each coming out with engines with more and more horsepower that can spin the tires more for customers that find that appealing.

This is not really any different for the hype around 1000x versus 600x cards that provide little or no benefit to the majority of users but do greatly improve the sales and profits of the memory card manufacturers. They are already up against it as there is a limit to how many image files can be captured in a day or even in a week and so photographers spend less and less each year on memory cards with their falling prices. My first memory card was an IBM 1GB microdisk that cost me $700. Now I can by a 64GB SDXC card for $35 and that does not do much for the sales of the card companies. But if you can convince people to spend $203 on a 2933x XQD card instead of $35 on a 1000x SDXC card then the company has helped offset the decline in card prices.

Jan 27, 2016 at 01:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

I would have to assume that the 200 frames is not a buffer size, but a shutter count before the camera is programmed to stop. Think about the power drain and heat generated by such continuous shooting. Even if the battery is good for 2000 frames that would only be 200 seconds of shooting.

EBH

Jan 27, 2016 at 08:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

really in the end the use of a G series card will have its advantages in the including the reader that comes along with it. both the D5 and D500 are set to use the newr XQD2 cards. using a slower card is like putting a governor on it.

Jan 27, 2016 at 09:18 PM
Mark K
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

Just placed my orders for UHSII and XQD cards...and it takes 2 weeks to arrive...can't keep D500 waiting

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:11 PM
bioyuki

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

elkhornsun is incorrect on cost...XQD has dropped a ton in price recently. You can get a 64GB Lexar 2933x XQD card for $99 from B&H/Adorama, not the $204 s/he says

Apr 25, 2016 at 02:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Got the D500 ordered, but what cards do I need to get??

elkhornsun wrote:
The real write speeds at this time for SDXC 1000x cards is 155 MB/s. The version 2 XQD cards that cost $140 for a 64GB card have write speeds up up to 210 MB/s (dependent on how fast the camera's processors can actually deliver the data to the card). The ver 2 XQD that have a 440 MB/s theoretical write speed cost $204 for a 64GB card.

To actually need a 200 file RAW buffer at 10 fps with the D500 one would have to shoot continuously for 20 full seconds. I would be interested in who has ever had
...Show more

please, give it up

Apr 25, 2016 at 03:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.