New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Nikon 14-24 zoom ring sticks

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 14-24 zoom ring sticks

I have a several year old lens that I bought used. It has been my most used and favorite lens. It has had normal wear and tear with a few mild bangs and bumps but nothing huge in the way of trauma. Several days ago I took it out of the bag and noticed that when I zoom in or out midway through the range it gets very difficult to turn. It then works normally until I zoom back through the mid-range. Everything else seems to work perfect (focus manual and auto, aperture). I haven't done detailed testing but at first glance the quality of the images produced looks unchanged. I will try to look closer at that this weekend.

I looked on line and this seem to be something that happens and is not really fixable with out a pretty large cost of a barrel replacement. Its not under warranty since I got it used. I am debating just trying to live with it for a while to see if it drives me crazy or not rather than just spending the $600 plus dollars the repair will likely be.

Does anyone think that it will hurt my camera? or damage the lens further if I just wait? I can probably get a new used one for $1300 or so that will have fewer miles should I just save up for that? Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much Brian

Jan 12, 2016 at 07:38 PM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 14-24 zoom ring sticks

I had that happen to me, Rick at Discount Camera Repair in Colorado did a nice job repairing the lens barrel (a subsequent fix required Nikon's attention, but that's neither here nor there). Cost me $140, and worked beautifully afterwards. If you're not sure what Nikon charges, you can go to the site and enter the issue, and it will tell you the cost to have them do it. When I did later have to send it to Nikon, it was more expensive, but they did a massive amount of work for what I paid.

EDIT: Dug up the post, here is my quote from it:

My $420 basically got me a new 14-24.

The following parts were replaced:
Lens unit
Bayonet mount
Cam ring
Main tube
Lens barrel unit
Front element lens
SWM

Repaired impact damage
Adjusted auto focus operation
Checked optical alignment
Checked resolution
Check communication

And they cleaned it.

Jan 12, 2016 at 08:42 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 14-24 zoom ring sticks

It is very likely that internal screws have worked loose and are grinding into the helicoid.
Don't delay in sending the lens in for service because the situation will only get worse with the strong likelihood of increasing internal damage and a very large repair bill.

Jan 12, 2016 at 09:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.