Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

With the going price of D4S in B&S and the new price of D5, are the improvements worth the extra $2000.00 + most will fork out for the upgrade?

The D5 specs are impressive. But are they that much more impressive and does it really fill a void you were not able to do with the D4S?

JT

Jan 12, 2016 at 05:52 PM
Genes Home
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

The question you ask is answered by your last sentence.

Jan 12, 2016 at 05:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

Well nobody has really tested a D5 yet so it's a bit early for an answer that isn't full of speculation.

If you believe the current buzz, reviews of pre-production cameras, tech PDFs, etc. it will likely be a significant step up for someone already using a D4S at it's limits. It's the biggest upgrade Nikon has offered since the introduction of the D3, with all the important bits getting an overhaul (AF, metering, processor, sensor, etc.) A casual hobbyist who has a D4S only because they can afford it likely won't be getting much from the upgrade, but they also will probably be some of the first users to upgrade haha.

As one example, the D5 should let you shoot longer as the sun goes down, both thanks to improved ISO performance and significantly more sensitive AF. Maybe that affects your shooting, maybe it doesn't. You're going to be the only one who knows if it's worth an extra $2000 for you.

It's a significant upgrade in enough important areas that I think a lot of people are going to upgrade, even if they don't 'need' it.

It's the same thing anytime a new camera comes out. Some people will experience an enormous difference, others won't see the value at all. Completely depends on the usage and how the new features affect your personal shooting style.

Jan 12, 2016 at 06:01 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

For high ISO sports or wildlife, where clean images are a must for your job, then I think $2000 is well worth the increase in keepers that you'll get. What's more, if you are competing with others for these shots, then it will be a must have as other people with D5s will be able to get shots you cannot.

If you don't need to capture fast moving action in very low light conditions, then I would say the D4 and D4s (and D3s for that matter) are probably adequate, as might be several other bodies.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:33 PM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

I hope it is worth it as you just sold your D4s. Soon you can tell us if it was.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

Shooting in low light is serious business. As in six figures of yearly income. I think the upgrade is as obvious choice for pros.

Jan 13, 2016 at 02:48 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

To me the difference in autofocus performance that is expected will cause wildlife, sports, and wedding photographers to get the D5 camera. This is what sets the D5 above all other cameras from Nikon. The rest is for the most part icing on the cake to make the $6500 price tag more palatable to photographers. The more shots per battery charge is also going to be received with favor as it is a substantial increase and most photographers will be able to get through a day of shooting with a single battery.

Jan 13, 2016 at 04:17 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

gdsf2 wrote:
I hope it is worth it as you just sold your D4s. Soon you can tell us if it was.

Sold it but not for a D5. Wanted to sell before much more devaluation. I am pretty much all mirrorless now although I do miss the feel of a good dslr vs a small mirrorless.

Jan 13, 2016 at 04:44 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Sold it but not for a D5. Wanted to sell before much more devaluation. I am pretty much all mirrorless now although I do miss the feel of a good dslr vs a small mirrorless.

If you aren't getting a D5, then what is the point of your initial question?

Jim

Jan 13, 2016 at 05:34 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

JimFox wrote:
If you aren't getting a D5, then what is the point of your initial question?

Jim

Just like any other question here. I wanted to know.

Jan 13, 2016 at 09:22 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

I have two D4s bodies. Planning to sell one and add the D5 to my gear.

The AF and slightly higher MP can help a bit (low light breakdancing, and group shots, respectively).

Wonder if it has AF-A also (since D4s only has AF-S/C, but the D750 has AF-S/C/A). Would be neat if it did.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:17 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

CanadaMark wrote:
Well nobody has really tested a D5 yet so it's a bit early for an answer that isn't full of speculation.

It is never too early to discuss something we know nothing about.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

Jorge Torralba wrote:
With the going price of D4S in B&S and the new price of D5, are the improvements worth the extra $2000.00 + most will fork out for the upgrade?

The D5 specs are impressive. But are they that much more impressive and does it really fill a void you were not able to do with the D4S?

JT

would it enhance your personal abilities to take pictures under the various circumstances when you actually do shoot? I mean, for some, it might help for others possibly not. where do you think you stand in any particular group?

remember Jorge, Digital gear is a poor investment. you buy you should have a use for it and then do so. otherwise you just have this relatively high tech doorstop around your home. I had an D810 till just recently. shot a few jobs with it and found it was just not what was necessary for me or needed for the work I do. someone else is now happier for those facts. I store that educational data for the "next big thing" rationale bout of future purchases.

Edited on Jan 14, 2016 at 11:15 AM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2016 at 02:28 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

James R wrote:
It is never too early to discuss something we know nothing about.

Isn't that the truth

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

I remember back in the 80s when I use to string for UPI in Miami, I was shooting strictly with the F2. The F3 came out and had some interestig features and I debated getting one. In the end, it was about 3 years before I upgraded. It just wasn't necessary for the job. Now it looks like we need to upgrade every year.

The new stuff is cool but I personally don't think it's a worthwhile move yet. Just wondering how many really need the extra features for the price. Back in the days the upgrade was about 700.00 not the case today. The only thing I would want from the D5 is the higher pixel count and presumably better ISO. But to me that's still not worth 2k ontop of older d4s.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is it worth it? D4S -> D5 ?

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I remember back in the 80s when I use to string for UPI in Miami, I was shooting strictly with the F2. The F3 came out and had some interestig features and I debated getting one. In the end, it was about 3 years before I upgraded. It just wasn't necessary for the job. Now it looks like we need to upgrade every year.

The new stuff is cool but I personally don't think it's a worthwhile move yet. Just wondering how many really need the extra features for the price. Back in the days the upgrade was about
...Show more

700 dollars in 1980 is about 2K dollars today. So in constant dollars and if your pay kept pace with inflation you are paying about the same. Let’s not forget how much was a BigMac, can of coke, or a gallon of gas in those days.

I’d say for that 700 dollars think about what you are getting and we are getting far more value, no wonder we upgrade so much, it is worth it, as you get so much more for the real dollar!

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.