FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · New Website

derek10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Website

Hi All,
I just released my new web site and wanted some feedback and critique. I know where I can improve a little more but wanted to get some views from a different perspective. The site is based on a wordpress theme that I customized and is fully responsive.

Derek Bogdan Photography

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:02 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Website

First impressions...

All I see is purple. The white is easy to read, but some may find the pastel purple text harder to read. A pastel main color would be more experienced and professional looking IMO. (softer generally grabs brides more)

You need a less intrusive watermark on the blog images.

Re-shoot your album samples.

"My average delivery time for the full gallery of images is 4 to 6 weeks. Few photographers achieve this." sounds douchey.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:10 AM
njfantastico
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Website

ABOUT ME -

The website has an upscale look to it, YET your personal image looks poor. I would be tempted to have a better photograph made. No cars in the background, closer up, no sunglasses, smiling like you care.

Albums -

It might be fun to do a little shoot on album details, the images you display look like what the album company puts out, show people more album details.

Love Notes = Testimonials?

Jan 16, 2016 at 01:35 AM
James-Watt

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Website

Looks pretty good! You hit most of the points I'd especially keep an eye out for, though there are a few technical details that you might want to take a look at. It looks like you're already ranking well though, so this is all kind of in the 'maybe' pile.

Usually it's a good idea to have your city in the title tag, so I'dd add that. On the home page, I'd use your first big line of text down below as your <h1>. It's a little bit of an abuse of semantics to have that cluster of images at the top of every page be inside of an h1 tag.

Your page load speed isn't bad, but it's a little concerning at least. You need to show off your work of course so your site is just going to be a little on the big side, but it wouldn't be too hard to compress your images and set up browser caching and so on. W3 total cache will do most of the heavy lifting for you, though it can still take a few to figure it out. Make sure you back up your site before you play with it.

It also looks like your markup schema is wrong. Not sure if you set up JSON-LD by hand or with a wordpress plugin, but there's a few issues with how it's set up. Check out this article to get a sense of how to fix it. (For example, your business isn't a 'website', it's a ProfessionalService, and you should have your address, hours of operation, etc. in the schema as well). Again, this isn't necessarily mission critical, but it's always good to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Design and functionality wise though, looks good!

Jan 20, 2016 at 03:29 PM
derek10

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Website

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I agree with most of what needs to be changed/updated starting with my bio pic. I wanted to get site off the ground in new year so didn't have proper bio photo.

I am compressing images but I guess few more can be further compressed. Album photos are coming as well once new samples arrive.
I did test page for speed and noticed it needs to be improved. I don't know a lot about about increasing performance so will look into it more.
Thanks

Jan 25, 2016 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.