New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · SB-5000 is cool

RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SB-5000 is cool

One big thing Canon lacks is the ability to trigger both optical and radio remote Speedlites together. A Canon shooter must trigger all remote Speedlites by RT, or all by optical wireless. No existing Canon camera has in-built radio, either; one must have either an ST-E3-RT or an RT Speedlite in the camera's flash shoe, to use RT.

Nikon shooters with both the dongle in the 10-pin connector, and an SB-5000 in the hot shoe, can trigger both optical and radio remotes together. (This is how I understand it, anyway.) So, neither system is perfect, and only Nikon shooters have the advantage of using both older optical-only Speedlights and newer radio Speedlights at the same time.

I do use both Canon and Nikon SLRs, and have four Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites, plus several older pre-RT Speedlites, and an SB-910, an SB-500, and several pre-CLS/I-TTL Speedlights. I have no imminent plans to buy into the Nikon radio-triggered flash system. In my opinion, Canon shooters had a greater need for radio-triggering, because Canon Speedlites have a noticeably harder time "seeing" each others' line-of-sight optical wireless signals, compared to Nikon Speedlights.

If pressed, I would say Canon 580EX II and 600EX-RT Speedlights have better apparent build quality than the SB-910, starting with the flash foot's more-secure latching mechanism and electrical contacts that engage with a sweeping motion. I have yet to handle an SB-5000, perhaps Nikon has made improvements in these areas, over the SB-910. I do, however, really like my SB-910

I am not any kind of authority or expert.

Aug 07, 2016 at 01:08 AM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SB-5000 is cool

RexGig0 wrote:
If pressed, I would say Canon 580EX II and 600EX-RT Speedlights have better apparent build quality than the SB-910, starting with the flash foot's more-secure latching mechanism and electrical contacts that engage with a sweeping motion. I have yet to handle an SB-5000, perhaps Nikon has made improvements in these areas, over the SB-910.

I don't own the SB-910, but SB-5000 and SB-800 are about equal in build quality. I find Nikon's metal locking foot to be quite secure. Since Canon's offering lagged by six years, I'm still using their baroque design of plastic foot and wheel lock (550EX, 430EX). Am getting the SB-5000 radio accessories this week because it eliminates the cable from flash-bracket rigs and, in studio, allows D500 radio remote CLS with my choice of pack triggering (optical slave or Pocketwizard).

Aug 07, 2016 at 03:21 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SB-5000 is cool

SB-5000 went on its first paying gig on the weekend. I brought an umbrella that would have required a 1/1 power setting, but it wasn't required, so the cooling system had an easy time. Eneloop cells kept recharge times to zero (10fps no problem). I used as much as -1 exposure comp to keep whites from blowing out. Rig was D500 + 17-55/2.8, no grip.

Rings were shot with Siggy 70/2.8 macro using SB-5000 off-camera, radio i-TTL. Yup, I bought Nikon's WR kit: it leverages the other components to eliminate cords and drawbacks of optical CLS. My trusty assistant (father of the bride) held a paper napkin for shoot-thru diffusion. Improvising is essential in this game.

Aug 25, 2016 at 04:12 AM
joshn
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SB-5000 is cool

I just bought it, not really worth the upgrade over the 910 IMO unless you need the radio stuff :/

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:06 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SB-5000 is cool

joshn wrote:
I just bought it, not really worth the upgrade over the 910 IMO unless you need the radio stuff :/

I guess it depends how you shoot.

2s recycle at full power and 100 consecutive full power flashes before thermal protection kicks in is a game changer for many uses over previous nikon flashes.

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:42 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SB-5000 is cool

I need to buy a Visual Echoes flash extender for the SB-5000 which will replace an aged SB-800. Visual Echoes seem to be unclear as to which model fits.
Does anyone here use the flash extender on the SB-5000? Is the FX-6 used for the D900/910 a good fit or is the SB-5000 head smaller? Thanks.

EBH

Oct 03, 2016 at 09:22 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SB-5000 is cool

Mark_L wrote:
It reads like you still need a WR-R10 (£85) to use it and drive into the menu to change settings. AA battery hell too with mutiple £40 chargers too (maha) to not toast your rechargeables.

There are plenty of decent chargers at much less than £40. My Xtar VC4 does NiMH, and lithium ion chemistries. Take a look at reviews by HKL. By the way I have the Maha with the reconditioing and testing features. But I also have a cheap Panasonic unit which is just as good for charging.

Needing an external unit for the flash is awful. Nikon can be so archaic at times.

Oct 05, 2016 at 02:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.