New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

milind00

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

Looking for suggestions on post processing. Somehow, I see color noise even in ISO 100. Not sure what went wrong.

© Milind 2016

Jan 11, 2016 at 02:02 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

Nice image. I think I would straighten the horizon and cut off some of the negative space on the edges.

Jan 12, 2016 at 09:06 AM
milind00

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

thanks mdude85. This great suggestion. Will work on this.

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

It's not just the horizon. Whenever you're working on an image like this, take cues from thing you know. The left tower is roughly plumb but the right one leans. That tells you that the camera is tilted. When you straighten those out and address the horizon, then add a little snap, or maybe a lot and some saturation, well, you've got something there. Here's a quick fix.

Jan 14, 2016 at 01:05 AM
milind00

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

Thanks Peter Figen! This is certainly looking better. Just want to understand how you fixed the tower on the right and what you mean by "then add a little snap". I am not very skilled with Post processing.

Jan 14, 2016 at 06:31 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

It's pretty easy once you know how. Here's how:

Open your image
Dupe the background layer
Make sure your rulers are showing on the top and left of your document window (Cmd-R on a Mac, Ctrl-R on a PC)
Place the cursor in the ruler area, hold down the mouse button and drag - you'll be dragging a non printable guide - across from the left for vertical guides and down from the top for horizontal guides
You can reposition guides by hovering the cursor over them and holding the Cmd key on a Mac or Ctrl Key on a PC to get the repositioning grabber. You can add and reposition as much as you want
Click on that duplicated background layer
Activate the Free Transform tool - Cmd-T on a Mac Ctrl-T on a PC
There will be four handles that look like little tiny boxes in the corner. You can use your curser in combination with key strokes for different functions.
In this case, you would look at how the towers line up with the guides and then click on one of the corner "handles" and while holding the Cmd or Ctrl key down, drag the handle in the direction that distorts the image in the way you want.

That's the basics of it. Might be a good idea to watch a couple of youtube tutes to get a better understanding of the finer points.

For more pop, there are many techniques. Your image was quite good already but almost every image can be made better or more dramatic. I used a combination of Curves, Hue/Saturation and large radius sharpening in selective areas to try and bring it more life.

Jan 14, 2016 at 09:33 PM
milind00

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golden Gate in Golden Hours

thank you Peter Figen

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.