New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · after the storm

CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · after the storm

as most know the Mississippi River is above flood stage. Yesterday I drove down to the bluffs in rain hoping that when it broke the sun would pop thru in the south. Well it did and here's 2, one looking north (color) and one south (B&W). all comments welcome.

Jan 10, 2016 at 06:36 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · after the storm

Its always fun to get these floods even though it is painful to many. I am liking that color version.

Jan 10, 2016 at 07:16 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · after the storm

thanks and yes you're right. I went for this specific shot but a few have the water lapping at their front door. We're lucky here that the bluffs protect and the Ark. side is flat rice paddies

Jan 10, 2016 at 08:09 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · after the storm

The color is looking a bit overexposed. Might want to consider taking in a more pano direction.

I feel the mono has waaay more mood/drama going for it.

I think some needs to come from the top or bottom, and the bottom is much more significant to the message so I would look to crop some from up north. The whites just above the bridge could be close to blown, but maybe there is some extra detail tucked away there.

Nice one, CC!

Jeff

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:03 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · after the storm

I love the light when the sun peeks out set against the dark sky. I agree with Jeff that the mono is more moody.

Your title says "storm" and not "flood" but I can't help key off your description. I think there are some options depending on where exactly you want to go with these. While these both imply "storm" to me but they do not convey flood. As a casual observer, in #1 I have to search a bit before finding evidence the river is flooded. I think cropping to more of a panoramic, as Jeff suggested, would bring more attention to the flooded tree and take away the distracting lamp post in the foreground -- if that were the direction you wanted to take.

Jan 11, 2016 at 06:06 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · after the storm

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time to notice my shots. Actually Squirrely Eyed the river was at flood stage but that particularly day it had rained it's ass off. The sun broke thru the southern sky and I headed to the river which is a good 18 miles from my east Memphis home. About half way there it started to downpour again and by the time I got to the river I had bad expectations of getting a shot. About 30-45 min went by when I started to see the possibility. The dark sky behind the bridge was the storm. sort of 2 things going on at the same time I guess.

Jan 11, 2016 at 09:12 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · after the storm

Great images. I think I prefer the color image. The light on hte bridge pops! Before I printed this I would clean up the foreground. Whatever element is in the bottom right needs to be cloned ( cropped ) out. Also the light pole erupting out of the bottom of the frame needs removal. Possibly also whatever the device at the railing a bit in from the left.

B/W = Drama ( but the color one captured my eye longer... )

Paul

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:35 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · after the storm

Thanks Melor for your ideas, I have since done a pano type crop on the color to eliminate the light poles etc.

Jan 15, 2016 at 07:43 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · after the storm

and what about BW for the first?
Although I do like the color palette.

some blocky artifacts from pushing the jpeg in BW conversion.

Scott

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:41 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · after the storm

not a bad idea and I have the RAW file to work with too. I did a crop losing the light pole and it does work better

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · after the storm

+1 @ Scott, mono and losing the light pole.

A little diff take on it.

This is a blend of channels, but mostly leaning on the red channel (since the light illuminating the bridge was from the south @ direct warm) to pop the bridge brighter and darken the blue sky (+ some painting for the artifacts). Blending in a bit of the green channel for the water / trees ... trying to not lose the point at the flood stage up the tree trunks, for a bit of a draw in that direction too.

As always, S&P to taste.

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · after the storm

Since others are posting... This is the edit I did last night. If the image were mine I would remove all the trucks except the middle one of the left span as well as the remaining distractions in the foreground.

http://www.melor.com/images/forumposts/FM/pjeditcosmiccruiser.jpg

This is not my image, if the OP is offended, please PM me and I will take it down.

Paul

The color of the sky against the yellowed grass make the color versions my favorite.

Jan 15, 2016 at 03:28 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · after the storm

Kent,
Great BW!
Scott

Jan 15, 2016 at 04:03 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · after the storm

wow! great stuff! I like the BW ver a lot, my use that crop for the folks that want this. Melor you did a better job than me trying to crop out the light pole. I worked at it but it was a little obvious. And no I'm not bothered that you did an edit, thanks. If the folks like this it will be about 50x30

Jan 15, 2016 at 04:30 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · after the storm

CosmicCruiser wrote:
wow! great stuff! I like the BW ver a lot, my use that crop for the folks that want this. Melor you did a better job than me trying to crop out the light pole. I worked at it but it was a little obvious. And no I'm not bothered that you did an edit, thanks. If the folks like this it will be about 50x30

It only took a few minutes because it was for web... Hint: Do all your edits except resize and sharpening, Take your time doing a small area at a time. When done size for output, sharpen for output. Should be invisible as any good photoshop job!

Where was the picture shot?

Paul

Jan 15, 2016 at 06:50 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · after the storm

I can still learn a lot about sharpening and resizing and no matter how small or large my clone size is it's always obvious except in the best situations. Melor this is the Memphis bridge over to Arkansas. It's the "newer" one and the B&W one I did is the old bridge south of the new one. The curvy shape is supposed to be an "M" for Memphis.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · after the storm

CosmicCruiser wrote:
... and no matter how small or large my clone size is it's always obvious

PRACTICE

I am an expert at nothing photographic. I consider myself a student in photography and Photoshop,. The more I learn the more I find there is to learn. That being said, my earlier efforts suffered compared to my later efforts at Photoshop manipulation.

Did I mention PRACTICE? This could be a great learning project. Unless you believe yourself to be a purist or a photojournalist the only bad edit is one that is obvious to the viewer. Go for it! Save the original...

Paul

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.