Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

I think back to all of the events and venues I've covered, and then stop to think of those weird or opportune moments when your face to face with someone well known, or really great at what they do.. There were times for a snap !, but made the choice not to.(and you KNOW when those are the right and wrong moments to ask).

Now looking back, I'm getting up there, don't know how long my knees and hips will take this, I kind of wished I had.

So lately, no matter how big or small, I let the little kid in me out for a run and just ask.. I'm sure some day I'll be able to look back on that game or venue and have a little more to take away from it than a pile of RAWS.

What say you guys? Too professional to step outside that box? Don't care? Think I'm all wet?

I'd like to hear of your moments and brushes with greatness.

Jan 10, 2016 at 06:01 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

John: I can't be sure I know exactly what type of opportunities you are referring to, but in general, my view is that as long as you are not violating any codes of conduct--professional, ethical or otherwise--then why not do what you must to avoid regrets down the road? In situations where you feel that asking is the right thing to do, then why not ask (again assuming this is not in violation of any codes of conduct, as would be seeking an autograph at the events I shoot)? Let that kid out!

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

My perspective - take the shot. If you take the shot, you can decide what to do (or not do) with it later. If you don't take the shot - well, you don't have it.

A story that made my mind up for me about this. Not exactly along the same lines as your post - but it was significant to me and making my mind up in this area none the less.

We were in Mexico on a vacation. A young man died in/near the swimming pool. I could have easily got photos of this, but decided it was not appropriate so I did not.

When we got back home we did some research and found the young man's mother. We had some communication with her. The circumstances of her son's death were unusual - and she never did find out what happened (his body was cremated locally before she could have an independent autopsy performed, as I recall).

The mother would have been ecstatic if I would have had photos depicting what happened to her son during his last moments - but alas I had none to share with her.

So my perspective is (almost) always - take the picture. You can decide what to do with it later.

Jan 11, 2016 at 05:02 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

I guess I wasn't clear enough. But that's okay.

I was talking about all the times we get to sidelines, hallways, practices, just those off moments when your standing next to (eg) John Elway, Sidney Crosby, or a well known ESPN reporter.. Just junk like that. It's always been a standing rule to never ask, or, do anything like this. So, I'm just coloring outside the lines now and asking.

That's what I meant. Not times of seeing emotional sights and capturing them. If I'm there to do a story, come what may.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

hmm.. i came across don king (in trademark attire and hairdo) on weigh-in day. he and his entourage was riding the escalator down while i was riding up. we made eye contacts, he spotted the camera, then smiled and struck a pose.

i smiled, nodded my head in acknowledgement, and continued the ride up the escalator without taking a snap

i had let my biasness clouded my judgment, which prevented me from taking the shot and complete my responsibility. :-(

i am sure lots of pj photographers experienced such moral dilemmas while on the job. perhaps, not a brush with celebrities or athletes, but rather a scene which compelled them to be respectful and temporary put down the cameras.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:26 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

I understand. Think outside the box. Same question - different situation.

My answer is - just take the shot. If you don't - you may never have another opportunity to do so.

You said you kind of wished you had. I am saying you should have. What's stopping you?

Jan 13, 2016 at 08:39 AM
alicat
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

I always take the shot, not right in someone's face of course but I do take the shots. In fact some have been best sellers for me and occasionally even the celeb will want a copy. Most celebs in sports etc know they are fair game and most rather than fight the moment make the best of it. If eye contact is made I always ask with my eyes and camera and afterward always say thank you.

Alicat Steve

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:06 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

Are we talking shot OF celebs or shot (of yourself) WITH celebs?

John

Jan 15, 2016 at 05:11 PM
joe chance
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

I've sometimes been able to shoot other photographers at events when they are next to or in conversation with celebs and forward them a copy (at no charge). But I hope I never see a professional photographer doing a selfie on the sideline.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Not easily impressed -- but looking back, I should of..

I guess with... for the lack of a better term.

I'm always on that outer perimeter of things. But on a few occasions I've had moments with these people (some quite personal and spontaneous), for them it's a 3 or 4 minute deal, for me, I'm stepping into a picture and not being behind it.

I know where the boundaries are..we ALL do in these cases. Rules, PR people, Staff, on and on.. But I've made the choice that when these times take place, I'm going to step into the document, and make it part of my life also and not one just recorded for a world to see. I think as years will go by now, it's something I'll be able to look back on and bring that day, or a time, a little clearer...

We get very few of these moments.. And yea Joe, it would be just like that, another bloke next to me and saying ' do you mind?'.. Selfie! You made me laugh out loud at my computer.

Jan 19, 2016 at 03:22 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.