Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Looking for a very small tripod.

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I'd like to do some church photography and many will not let you use a tripod. Any suggestions on which to look into. Money is a consideration. I'd like to use my D800 and a lens [to be determined later]. I will probably find other uses for it at a later time.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 09, 2016 at 08:29 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I just received Q-666C from China. I like it a lot, very compact, light and cheap...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Q666C-Portable-Carbon-fiber-Tripod-Ball-Head-Compact-for-DSLR-Camera-/171444140545?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Jan 09, 2016 at 08:41 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a very small tripod.

cvrle59 What camera are you using on that tripod?

Wouldn't mind getting a cheap secondary tripod and looks appealing

Jan 09, 2016 at 09:22 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I've just got it a week ago, so I really haven't given a full blast to it yet, but I did take a few shots with D810, and 85mm f1.8G. It's not meant to be used in very windy situations, or with very heavy telephoto lenses, but anything below, I would say, pretty good. It gives you much better impression than you would think you get for $99. Very tight and nice finish. I wanted something compact that packs very small, light and not too expensive, so I got it.
That link I posted is safe, at least in my case worked very well.

Jan 09, 2016 at 09:40 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I will be using it with a D800 or D7000 plus a wide angle or even a 70-200. I thought there might be times when we can use it instead of using a bean bag. Recently in Yellowstone we could have used it on the hood of the car or on the ground, as I followed a coyote up the road.

But thanks for the info on the tripod already mentioned.

Jan 09, 2016 at 10:15 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a very small tripod.

Anyone using or have used the Slik Mini or Mini Pro?

Jan 09, 2016 at 10:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a very small tripod.

runakid wrote:
Anyone using or have used the Slik Mini or Mini Pro?

I have one of those.
Don't use it much anymore. I used for motorcycle trips.
The key will be the ballhead, and if it will support your lens weight without creeping.
I put the more standard 3/8" screw on it versus the 1/4" it comes with.

Actually looking now I see it's a Slik Sprint Mini, which is larger than the compact series Mini.

http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/DS-SPRINT_MINI_II.html

Edited on Jan 10, 2016 at 08:46 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2016 at 11:04 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I use the photo backpacker with my A7 and any lens on it. Very sturdy for its size:
http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx

Jan 09, 2016 at 11:20 PM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I'm trying to understand the original post, some churches doesn't allow tripods yet you want to use one?

my travel/hiking tripod is a Sirui T-025X, which looks to be the same dimension/specs as the MeFoto backpacker.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10917559

tripod is really light and tiny, yet pretty stable, although. I don't like using the center column as I don't find it very stable, especially when it's windy.
I flew with it on my carry-on bag in the US and Europe with no problem.

Cameras I've used with it are a 500cm, GF670, GSW690III, Xpan, A7, M240 for long exposure.

Jan 09, 2016 at 11:57 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a very small tripod.

Yes, , I have been in some churches that are open to the public and they don't let you set up a tripod because of the crowds . Rockefeller Center does the same thing. I am thinking I can [maybe] get lucky and use a small tripod that i could set up in out of the way place that would not obstruct foot traffic.

Jan 10, 2016 at 07:34 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a very small tripod.

Taemo,
That looks great. Thanks

dan

Jan 10, 2016 at 07:35 AM
ImagePass

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a very small tripod.

Hi Dan,

I have just ordered this tripod : Sirui 3T 35.
I was looking for a very small tripod witch I can carry very easily. The 3T 35 seems to be very handy, small but sturdy enough to handle 4 Kg.( O.K. for a D810 + 35 mm)
I’m looking forward to have and test it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1085543-REG/sirui_bsr3t35r_3t_35r_aluminum_tripod_kit_red.html

Jan 10, 2016 at 08:28 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a very small tripod.

runakid wrote:
Yes, , I have been in some churches that are open to the public and they don't let you set up a tripod because of the crowds . Rockefeller Center does the same thing. I am thinking I can [maybe] get lucky and use a small tripod that i could set up in out of the way place that would not obstruct foot traffic.

If they are going to overlook you setting up a tripod in an out-of-the-way corner, the size of your tripod likely won't matter. (Assuming a standard tripod/ballhead combo.) If they are stickler to rules, "no" means "no". If it was me, I would take my chances by asking vs trying to do it unnoticed.

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:42 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a very small tripod.

Monopods are often allowed in places where a conventional tripod is not. Practice a steady hand with one.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:33 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I have often wondered if those places that allow a monopod would be ok with a person just using only one leg extended from the tripod. In other words, a monopod with extra junk at the top.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:32 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a very small tripod.

The only problem seems to me to be the center column. I'll see if the have anything else.

dan

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:29 PM
socaltyger

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a very small tripod.

I prefer the next size up from the smallest ultra light travel tripods, they're more stable when fully extended. The Sirui 1205x ( http://amzn.to/1mO3q90 ) has been the travel tripod I've been using for over a year. There's also an aluminum version for $100 less. Easily supports a gripped D610 with the heavy sigma art lenses. This will also be dependent on your ball head of course.

Jan 10, 2016 at 03:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a very small tripod.

If a church won't allow a tripod, it's not going to allow one no matter how small. Unless you are trying to sneak one in illegally, which would kind of fly in the face of shooting in a church.

Just use VR and higher ISO. It's what we have to do in many churches when shooting weddings.

If a tripod is illegal, it's illegal no matter what the size. Todays camera are great with high ISO, and add to that a VR lens line the 16-35mm and you are set.

Jim

Jan 10, 2016 at 03:37 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a very small tripod.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2016 at 04:42 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a very small tripod.

dasrocket wrote:
I use the photo backpacker with my A7 and any lens on it. Very sturdy for its size:
http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx

Thanks of posting that link. I ordered one from B&H for $137. I have been looking for a little tripod to carry with my 2-lens kit, and the MeFoto fits the bill perfectly, and much, much less $$ than the similar Gitzo.

- Dan

Jan 10, 2016 at 09:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.