New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

tgillespie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

Noticed weird colors on a print, so I printed a nozzle check, which resulted in the attached picture. After trying the printer's deep clean, per directions, I took the print head out, soaked it for 15 minutes, let it dry. Still the same white bar in Photo Magenta. I then let it soak overnight in some Windex. I let it dry all morning, put it back in, but I still get the same white bar. Its always in the same spot and the same size.

Reinstalled drivers. I cannot update firmware as its already on the current version. Any ideas?

Canon Pixma Pro 100.

Jan 08, 2016 at 03:06 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

It's too 'consistent', that tells me that some driver electronics on the circuit board has gone bad or something in the head that receives that kind of 'data'.

I guess maybe a wiring (flex cable) issue.

Either way, I think this is a service event, not a home fix.

Jan 08, 2016 at 03:17 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

I was thinking that too. The problem occurs on different source machines, so it almost has to be a hardware issue. Do you think a new print head would take care of it? CPS is probably going to cost more than a new head, or even a new printer.

Jan 08, 2016 at 04:00 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

I really can't say. It's an expensive 'maybe' fix

If I was in Vegas, I'd wager that it's a motherboard problem, not a head problem.

See if they have a simple diagnostic fee or something.

Jan 08, 2016 at 04:25 PM
robn70
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

Just a thought. Since they always seem to have rebates on this printer. It may be cheaper in the long run to just replace it. Cost of shipping and diags may be more then the $50. that the printer seems to go for after the rebate.

Jan 16, 2016 at 08:47 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

Since the problem is isolated to one colour, I would suspect the problem is with that printhead. If it was with some other part of the system, I would think the problem would not be consistently with just that colour.

What do printheads cost?

Jan 16, 2016 at 09:54 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

The OP may have gotten the printer at exceptionally low cost because of the rebates offed by Canon these past few years, and it may or may not be worth attempting to fix the issue. Amazon does offer a print head for $78 (currently on sale), but it still would behoove the OP to see if there's some way of diagnosing the problem to narrow it down to a specific component.

In the end, it might be cheaper (and less trouble) just to purchase a new 100. They're still offering the printer for $150 after rebates. The rebate expires January 30.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:10 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

First of all, never use the "deep clean" cycle in the printer driver - it only sucks up a lot of ink. The issue may still be clogged nozzles. Here is my head-cleaning procedure:

To really clean the heads, remove the cartridges and put them in individual plastic bags (sandwich size works well), or recap with the caps that come with the carts. Then remove the head assembly carefully.

Slowly run warm water over the heads and the area where the ink enters the heads until all color is removed - this may take a while (15-30 minutes, or longer). If a particular color is difficult to remove, soak the heads in water in a container and repeat the rinsing process.

Once all ink has been removed (no colors bleeding into the water), shake excess water from the heads and blow canned air around the crevices. Then use a hair dryer to complete the process.

Re-install head and inks and print a test pattern.

This process has always cleared any ink issues I have had.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

Jan 16, 2016 at 03:03 PM
gchappel
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

With rebate printer presently costs $150.
It comes with $40 worth of paper.
Full set of inks is about $100.
IMHO not worth tinkering with.
Get a brand new printer- new heads, new maintenance tank, etc.
I have used the rebate- you get a prepaid card. Easy
Gary

Jan 17, 2016 at 08:23 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

I ended up picking up a new print head, and it solved the problem. I tried several different cleaning methods on the old head, and I'm guessing now that it was the PCB/board was bad. Fortunately it only cost $50 to replace, which isn't bad.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Buckmaster

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

Where did you buy the new head at?

Jan 21, 2016 at 09:08 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Issue with Canon Pro 100 Print Head

Ebay

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.