New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

mbphoto_2.8
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

Yes, not a D5, nor D500 thread. Not even about digital, autofocus cameras with metering of any sorts.

This is about my Nikon F2

I currently have the 50mm f/1.2 Ai-S and the 50mm f/1.4 Ai as contenders in my 50mm lens comparison, but I don't like either very much regarding their nervous boke rendition.

https://mbphotox.wordpress.com/2015/11/28/nikkor-shootout/

I did a LOT of research and digging into all the lenses I compared for my Blog but I never stumbled upon any information regarding Nikon compatible lenses.

While most internet sites focus on old Nikon glass used on modern DSLRs (rarely on Canon or Mirrorless offerings even), there's not much information regarding glass on old manual SLRs.

I have to hand it to Ken Rockwell this time, he did a nice job listing the possibilities and incompatibilities of more recent Nikon glass with my F2.

However:
Is there a list with Lenses that were specifically built with Nikon F mount?

I know that you can adapt MF lenses and the Contax N stuff probably too, but that's about it, no?

I would really love to get a proper replacement lens at 40-60mm and f/2 or faster, delivering creamy boke (not the nervous stuff the 50/1.4 Ai and 50/1.2 produce) for 100-200 bucks in Exc+ condition.

Jan 07, 2016 at 06:11 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

For starters, in the dyas of the F2, things were not complicated as far as lenses were concerned.

The manual ( I still have the original manual of my F2AS, which I BTW still have as well) does not mention any restrictions on the lenses that could be used (of course there were just manual non A-i and AI lenses back then).

If you really want detailed info on e.g. F2's and the lenses that were around in those days, I'd rather then 'consulting' KR would recommend checking this site http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/index.htm.

Far more detailed, lovingly researched by a host of volunteers, and consequently written with a lot of real expertise.

As far as modern lenses are concerned, in my experience anything but G type lenses (which lack an aperture ring) can be used on your F2.

I use non A-i, Ai, AiS and AF-D on my F2AS and FE bodies.

Jan 07, 2016 at 06:55 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

thanks for the link.

MIR is really amazing for this kind of stuff.
I could find info on the Nikkor 55/1.2, the 58/1.4, the 50/1.4 and of course the 50/1.2.
lenstip even made a comparison with the 58/1.4 and the new 50/1.4G Unfortunately, they failed to look into Bokeh.

I also looked into other focal lengths, there's no interesting 40mm and a 35/1.4 would be WAY too expensive and the 35/2.0 easily hits 200 bucks already.

How can I find info on other manufacturers lenses for the F mount?
(I don't really get how MIR works, sorry )

Jan 08, 2016 at 05:39 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

With your price range and focal range requirements i think you are SOL

Jan 08, 2016 at 06:55 AM
ramkumar999
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

Please ask this question in the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread., someone should be able to help.

Jan 08, 2016 at 07:22 AM
Vilk
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

leitax

50/2 HC and later

Jan 08, 2016 at 07:42 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

If I were to up the budget to, say, 400 USD, what'd be there to be done?

A Leica Summicron-R 50/2 with conversion ring?

Jan 10, 2016 at 06:02 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

Used Zeiss ZF 50 f/1.4 Planar. Zeiss ZF lenses are beautiful in the F2 viewfinder. Rent one and see.

Jan 10, 2016 at 01:57 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · List of lenses compatible with my Nikon F2

I have a Zeiss Planar T* C/Y and while it's really sharp, I don't like the bokeh that much.

Jan 10, 2016 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.