New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
       30       31       32       end

Is film coming back?

arduluth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #1 · p.29 #1 · Is film coming back?

retrofocus wrote:
Cheapest option is to photograph the negative with your own digital camera and macro lens using a LED light table and tripod. 1:1 macro size works perfectly for 35 mm negatives - for larger negative formats either the resolution needs to be reduced at lower magnification or separate photos need to be stitched in post-processing.

Even this is a PIA, at least for me. If I could make this work without it being a huge hassle, I'd shoot a lot more film.Seems like I'm always chasing down a light leak, fixing slight issues with film flatness/parallelism, etc. And then I advance to the next frame and I have to do it all again. I'm sure there is an easier way, but I haven't found one yet. I'm sure it'd help to get a copy stand rather than using a tripod. :P

Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a device you attached to your camera at the mount which could digitize a roll of 135 or 120 film for you? It'd be reasonably lightproof, with a built-in LED array, masked for the format, and motorized. Maybe built to be compatible with a specific and common lens like my Nikon Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/3.5 Focus could be adjusted with an external control. Load it up, advance to the first frame, set the exposure and focus on the camera, and push the big green button.

The device triggers the exposure with a wired cable release, waits a bit, advances the next frame, and captures the next frame. Seems like something like that could work really well and wouldn't be all that hard to build for someone with the time and skills. I'd be happy to handle the electronics if anyone wants to collaborate.

Anyway, just dreaming...

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:32 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #2 · p.29 #2 · Is film coming back?

arduluth wrote:
Even this is a PIA, at least for me. If I could make this work without it being a huge hassle, I'd shoot a lot more film.Seems like I'm always chasing down a light leak, fixing slight issues with film flatness/parallelism, etc. And then I advance to the next frame and I have to do it all again. I'm sure there is an easier way, but I haven't found one yet. I'm sure it'd help to get a copy stand rather than using a tripod. :P

Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a device you attached to your camera at
...Show more

These digitizing devices exist - when I last had my 35 mm films developed at Costco (before they shut down their film development), the whole roll of film was digitized automatically. Not sure how the scanner looked like, but it likely was connected to the 35 mm film developer. I digitized my home-developed negatives for quite a while in this way shown below with excellent image quality.....

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:43 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.29 #3 · p.29 #3 · Is film coming back?

retrofocus wrote:

These digitizing devices exist - when I last had my 35 mm films developed at Costco (before they shut down their film development), the whole roll of film was digitized automatically. Not sure how the scanner looked like, but it likely was connected to the 35 mm film developer. I digitized my home-developed negatives for quite a while in this way shown below with excellent image quality.....

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v50/p1621655572-5.jpg

My setup looks similar to yours - but I had a lot of problems with stray light showing up in reflections on the film surface. I've done a few things to remedy this - made a big cardboard hood for the setup. I've also used a developing bag with the lens poking through where you hands would go in. Both worked well in terms of keeping out stray light, but they were both very cumbersome and time consuming when it came to advancing to the next frame. I've also had issues with lens flare and/or sensor reflections if I didn't block out the light on the light table above and below the film.

In the end my problems are silly - my issues with stray light could be easily solved by buying a card table to use in the bathroom. Another possible solution might be getting a brighter source of light for the film, mitigating the reflections of the other lights in the area.

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.29 #4 · p.29 #4 · Is film coming back?

retrofocus wrote:

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v50/p1621655572-5.jpg

I did that, using a D750, a Micro Nikkor 60 2.8, a lightpad and a Hasselblad 645 Imacon film holder. Also used mirror lock up and a remote release. Live View, tried auto focus and manual focus. F8, ISO 125.
I photographed/scanned a image that had been previously scanned with a Noritsu scanner by NorthCoastPhoto at hi rez. So I could compare the two.

Initially I was delighted with the result, looked great. Until I compared it to the real scan. It does not compare.The Noritsu scan shows more detail/sharpness and tonal/depth. Quite frankly I'm disappointed after hearing so much about how great the results are. Great for web publishing and small prints, but I'm picky..

Jan 31, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #5 · p.29 #5 · Is film coming back?

Does any company make a simple and inexpensive "box" with diffuser that holds 4x5 film, mounted to a 50-60mm macro lens?

Jan 31, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.29 #6 · p.29 #6 · Is film coming back?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Get a film scanner and send it to dwaynes is the most cost effective.

I'd like to find a place for inexpensive wet prints.

i actually might just end up buying a film scanner, since i am going to try to shoot more film this year. Years ago i had a Nikon Coolscan 4000, and they aren't super expensive.

Jan 31, 2017 at 07:19 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.29 #7 · p.29 #7 · Is film coming back?

Yet another new film is about to hit the market. Pancro 400 film doesn't fill any holes, but it still is a new film, made by a company that clearly sees a growing film market and willing to invest a lot of money.

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2016/10/film-news-bergger-pancro-400/

Meanwhile, Sony recently reported camera volume continues to drop down hard.......

Feb 05, 2017 at 02:11 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.29 #8 · p.29 #8 · Is film coming back?

Desmolicious wrote:
I did that, using a D750, a Micro Nikkor 60 2.8, a lightpad and a Hasselblad 645 Imacon film holder. Also used mirror lock up and a remote release. Live View, tried auto focus and manual focus. F8, ISO 125.
I photographed/scanned a image that had been previously scanned with a Noritsu scanner by NorthCoastPhoto at hi rez. So I could compare the two.

Initially I was delighted with the result, looked great. Until I compared it to the real scan. It does not compare.The Noritsu scan shows more detail/sharpness and tonal/depth. Quite frankly I'm disappointed after hearing so much about how
...Show more

I sold my Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED and Imacon 343 scanners after discovering this combination actually did a better job (especially with dynamic range). The old AI-version 55mm f3.5 lens with PK-13 extension tube delivers even better results at 1:1.

Nikon D800E with AFS 60mm f2.8G and Nikon ES-1

Feb 05, 2017 at 02:30 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.29 #9 · p.29 #9 · Is film coming back?

here's a good listen/read on kodak coloramas

http://www.kodak.com/corp/Blog/Blog_Post/?contentId=4294998726

18' x 60' panoramas displayed for 40 years in grand central station. They started with 8x20" negs on banquet cameras and in the end 35mm.

Feb 05, 2017 at 04:00 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #10 · p.29 #10 · Is film coming back?

Found an excellent deal last week for a nearly mint Swiss Alpina 4x5" (Zone VI rail system) camera with mint 210/5.6 Schneider-Kreuznach and Osaka 400/8 lenses. This will be fun working with large format!

Feb 08, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chez
• • • • • •
p.29 #11 · p.29 #11 · Is film coming back?

retrofocus wrote:
Found an excellent deal last week for a nearly mint Swiss Alpina 4x5" (Zone VI rail system) camera with mint 210/5.6 Schneider-Kreuznach and Osaka 400/8 lenses. This will be fun working with large format!

Enjoy Retro. The quality of a 4x5 negative will amaze you.

Feb 08, 2017 at 01:16 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.29 #12 · p.29 #12 · Is film coming back?

Yet more proof that film is dying. Adox is building a brand new factory to increase film production.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/02/08/adox-announces-construction-new-factory/

Somehow in this dying market, we now have FIVE companies spending tens of millions of dollars each to bring old films back, develop new ones, and build new factories.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:50 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #13 · p.29 #13 · Is film coming back?

Here we go - on the top page here in this Alt forum are several new posts related to film - scanning/digitizing film inquiry; dealing with old/expired film in addition to the more well visited "Post your recent film shots" thread and within the Leica picture thread. Unthinkable for this to happen in this forum more focused on digital photography only a few years back. Definitely a sign for an increased interest in film - in addition to posts I saw this week about rebirth of some more 35 mm films which disappeared over 10 years ago from the market and which are coming back.

Mar 07, 2017 at 03:53 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #14 · p.29 #14 · Is film coming back?

chez wrote:
Enjoy Retro. The quality of a 4x5 negative will amaze you.

So far an amazing experience! The DoF options are incredible - a Canon TSE lens looks very limited now in my eyes . I am having a lot of fun shifting and tilting both plates of the camera. Most critical is to get the focus right on the matt glass - here I miss my electronic EVF based focus magnification tool . But a good magnifying glass does its job, too. Still doing 35 mm photography, but I am using now 4x5 where it is advantageous to benefit from DoF effects and high resolution.

Mar 07, 2017 at 04:07 AM
MAubrey
• •
p.29 #15 · p.29 #15 · Is film coming back?

retrofocus wrote:
So far an amazing experience! The DoF options are incredible - a Canon TSE lens looks very limited now in my eyes . I am having a lot of fun shifting and tilting both plates of the camera. Most critical is to get the focus right on the matt glass - here I miss my electronic EVF based focus magnification tool . But a good magnifying glass does its job, too. Still doing 35 mm photography, but I am using now 4x5 where it is advantageous to benefit from DoF effects and high resolution.

You'll want to get a focusing loupe. That'll help with focusing on the ground glass.

Film sales have been up 5% year over year for several years now. It'll never go back to the peak, but it's going to be a sustainable niche. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing some start up putting out new bodies & lenses at some point even!

Mar 07, 2017 at 04:49 AM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #16 · p.29 #16 · Is film coming back?

MAubrey wrote:
You'll want to get a focusing loupe. That'll help with focusing on the ground glass.

Yes, already got one for this purpose now !

Film sales have been up 5% year over year for several years now. It'll never go back to the peak, but it's going to be a sustainable niche. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing some start up putting out new bodies & lenses at some point even!

I already see prices for film-related accessories going up - enlargers, silver gelatin print paper, etc. Might take a while for new re-made 35 mm film cameras to show up, but Polaroid cameras already seem to have some sort of comeback.

Mar 07, 2017 at 12:30 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #17 · p.29 #17 · Is film coming back?

More proof.....

http://www.today.com/video/remember-cameras-al-roker-goes-back-to-old-school-photography-891975235957

Mar 07, 2017 at 11:15 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.29 #18 · p.29 #18 · Is film coming back?

Just published yesterday on PP:
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/04/death-digital-photography-know/

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:33 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.29 #19 · p.29 #19 · Is film coming back?

Funny, I just ordered some 35mm and 120 film!

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:16 PM
hulk2006
• •
p.29 #20 · p.29 #20 · Is film coming back?

Is film dying? Let me put it this way, in the last month I sold my Nikon D7100 and lenses and bought a Nikon F100 AND a FUJI GW690iii medium format camera.

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password