Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              31       32       end
  

Archive 2016 · Is film coming back?
  
 
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is film coming back?




waterden wrote:
I've had a fridge full of unused film for more than 5 years. I still retain my Minolta SRT101b and XD7 (re-leathered in burgundy) along with two barely used Dynax 7s, boxed away for posterity. My Rolleiflex 3.5F will be up for sale shortly. Film is more economical for me than digital because I am able to scan my own negatives on an Epson scanner which was very upmarket in its day. The problem is two-fold. Firstly, it is very, very time-consuming and life is too short to waste doing that. Second, the scanned images are hugely inferior to those
...Show more

That's my view as well...digital produces better results for me compared to 35mm film. Especially like you say when taking into account the time to process film.



Jan 07, 2016 at 02:53 PM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is film coming back?


waterden wrote:
Firstly, it is very, very time-consuming and life is too short to waste doing that


Funny, I adore my time processing film. It's incredibly, absolutely incredibly stress reducing. It's an almost meditative process.

My biggest gripe with moving back to the US is that I dont shoot as much as I used to and so now I have less film to develop. I need warmer weather!! I miss processing 10+ rolls per week of film.






Jan 07, 2016 at 02:56 PM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is film coming back?


rattymouse wrote:
I bought two high end medium format film cameras and so had to go with the best scanner possible to maintain the chain of good IQ from start to finished product. The scanner I ended up buying is a Plustek 120. This can scan 120 sized film along with 35mm. I am rarely OK with 35mm scanned by a flat bed so largely ignored that format. The Plustek scanner does 35mm VERY well and as a result I am 100% satisfied with my scans of all film.

The Plustek can scan quickly, at least in my opinion. I can scan
...Show more

i'd been looking at a less expensive plustek scanner, but had cold feet about giving it a go. but the ability to easily scan 35mm with decent results would be really nice. do you have to do a lot of fiddling with curves, etc. when scanning, or is it kind of set it and forget it? how's the software?



Jan 07, 2016 at 03:17 PM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is film coming back?


rattymouse wrote:
Funny, I adore my time processing film. It's incredibly, absolutely incredibly stress reducing. It's an almost meditative process.



i agree with you on this. it's nice to be unplugged sometimes.

i also found the darkroom to be like this.... kill three hours under the red light playing with water listening to music, it's pretty relaxing and great. absolutely no way i'm setting up my own darkroom though



Jan 07, 2016 at 03:18 PM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is film coming back?


goosemang wrote:
i'd been looking at a less expensive plustek scanner, but had cold feet about giving it a go. but the ability to easily scan 35mm with decent results would be really nice. do you have to do a lot of fiddling with curves, etc. when scanning, or is it kind of set it and forget it? how's the software?


The software is SilverFast, which I initially hated but have gotten used to the weird design decisions. It's very elaborate software but I tend to leave most of the settings alone and handle alterations in either Photoshop or Lightroom.

If you only have needs to scan 35mm film, Pakton scanners seem to be phenomenal. Good quality scans with an entire roll taking 15 mins or less. I would look into that before buying a Plustek.





Jan 07, 2016 at 03:21 PM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is film coming back?


goosemang wrote:
i agree with you on this. it's nice to be unplugged sometimes.

i also found the darkroom to be like this.... kill three hours under the red light playing with water listening to music, it's pretty relaxing and great. absolutely no way i'm setting up my own darkroom though


I can't wait to get my dark room set. I need to buy a house first! Soon after that I'll be up and printing.




Jan 07, 2016 at 03:23 PM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is film coming back?


rattymouse wrote:
The software is SilverFast, which I initially hated but have gotten used to the weird design decisions. It's very elaborate software but I tend to leave most of the settings alone and handle alterations in either Photoshop or Lightroom.

If you only have needs to scan 35mm film, Pakton scanners seem to be phenomenal. Good quality scans with an entire roll taking 15 mins or less. I would look into that before buying a Plustek.



is this that old scanner that you have to run on an XP machine or something?



Jan 07, 2016 at 03:23 PM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is film coming back?


goosemang wrote:
is this that old scanner that you have to run on an XP machine or something?


Yep, that's the one.




Jan 07, 2016 at 03:24 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is film coming back?


Spyro P. wrote:
I switched from digital to film and kept it up for maybe... three years I think. I did everything at home, c41, trannies, printing, the lot. Then work and life in general caught up with me and I had to switch back to digital again.

If there is some sort of charm in developing, I just don't see it. For me it was the same boring routine it was back in the 90's. At least back then I could walk down to the shop and get whatever I needed, but in this century, having to plan months ahead to
...Show more

Great discussion so far, guys! I like all the different point of views - again, there is no "false" or "right", just personal opinion! I agree that for color digital post processing is advantageous even I admit that the colors of the Fujichrome Provia film are something hard/impossible to get with digital.

I am also using the tank daylight development for film. Agree with the point above that good film based rangefinder cameras are something special!



Jan 07, 2016 at 03:52 PM
grog13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is film coming back?


Cadaver wrote:
Yes, there certainly is a renewed interest in film much like there's a renewed interest in record albums.



Interesting comparison. I work in a university music library. We have about 30,000 LPs, many of which have unique performances not yet digitized, so they still get some use. But recently, more students (not musicians mostly) have been asking for vinyl specifically - someone told them "it just sounds better in some way". Well, maybe in some way IF you have a pristine record played with a pristine stylus on state-of-the-art gear (which few had in the heyday of vinyl and almost no one has now). I also see some kids walking around campus snapping shots with film cameras (that makes it art, right?) Probably those same folks asking photogs to shoot their weddings on film....
I'm not saying film isn't worthwhile if you like the look of it and like working with it, but most of the current wave of interest, as with vinyl, is purely hipster-driven.




Jan 07, 2016 at 03:59 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


grog13
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is film coming back?




Finding film is not nearly as difficult as finding somewhere to have it processed (properly)... and then having it scanned...


What's the point in having it scanned? If you need digital, why would you not shoot digital?



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:08 PM
Gary Clennan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is film coming back?


Didn't you hear - film is dead. I also heard that Leica is dead. Sony apparently killed Leica and apparently digital killed film. Very cruel world we live in....


Jan 07, 2016 at 04:22 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is film coming back?




Finding film is not nearly as difficult as finding somewhere to have it processed (properly)... and then having it scanned...


What's the point in having it scanned? If you need digital, why would you not shoot digital?


Simple reason: photo sharing or publishing the photo (or later print) on the website. But for making prints in the darkroom, the film negative is still the easiest.



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:24 PM
goosemang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is film coming back?


grog13 wrote:
Interesting comparison. I work in a university music library. We have about 30,000 LPs, many of which have unique performances not yet digitized, so they still get some use. But recently, more students (not musicians mostly) have been asking for vinyl specifically - someone told them "it just sounds better in some way". Well, maybe in some way IF you have a pristine record played with a pristine stylus on state-of-the-art gear (which few had in the heyday of vinyl and almost no one has now). I also see some kids walking around campus snapping shots with film cameras (that
...Show more

they reason they think vinyl sounds good is probably because they're not listening to it on an iphone speaker

"what's this "bass" you speak of?!?"



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:27 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is film coming back?




I'm not saying film isn't worthwhile if you like the look of it and like working with it, but most of the current wave of interest, as with vinyl, is purely hipster-driven.



Not so sure about it - yes, a certain part of it has to do because it is hipster-like, but I see more and more professional film groups online and heard that several professional fine art photographers went back to film, too. Part of the reason why I started this thread to find out more about why people do it.



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:27 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is film coming back?




Simple reason: photo sharing or publishing the photo (or later print) on the website. But for making prints in the darkroom, the film negative is still the easiest.


I would think people making prints in their dark rooms is a small minority of people shooting film. Scanning is most likely the most prominent way of processing the film.

People in the camera club I attend that shoot film all scan the negatives. Not one makes prints directly from the negatives.



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:34 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is film coming back?


grog13 wrote:
What's the point in having it scanned? If you need digital, why would you not shoot digital?


I sold my slide projector and screen a long time ago, so if the film doesn't get scanned, there's not much point in shooting it in the first place.

As for scanning 35mm film, either a Nikon D810 or Sony A7R II with a slide copier and macro lens will deliver much better "scans" than the best film scanner you can buy. I sold my Imacon and Nikon scanners after I got my first D810.


Edited on Jan 07, 2016 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:37 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is film coming back?




Not so sure about it - yes, a certain part of it has to do because it is hipster-like, but I see more and more professional film groups online and heard that several professional fine art photographers went back to film, too. Part of the reason why I started this thread to find out more about why people do it.



I think the reason is simple - now that a technically superior alternative has become mainstream, film can now finally be considered "art"...



Edited on Jan 07, 2016 at 04:41 PM · View previous versions



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:39 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is film coming back?




Not so sure about it - yes, a certain part of it has to do because it is hipster-like, but I see more and more professional film groups online and heard that several professional fine art photographers went back to film, too. Part of the reason why I started this thread to find out more about why people do it.


I do it for the pure enjoyment of using a pure mechanical camera without any metering. I don't particularly enjoy the development process as I find it boring. I somewhat like scanning as it leads to me being able to see the results of my efforts on a screen from which I can make a print.

Professionally, I would think people use film just to separate themselves from the herd. I don't believe economically it makes business sense unless you can drive customers who are willing to pay the extra price to be different.

"My wedding was shot on film" type of bragging rights and we all know people will pay more to stand out from the herd.



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:41 PM
MAubrey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is film coming back?


chez wrote:
That's my view as well...digital produces better results for me compared to 35mm film. Especially like you say when taking into account the time to process film.


I don't use a super expensive scanner (Espson 4990), but my experience is that to get comparable quality to modern digital, you need at least 645 crop on 120. And anything larger than 6x6 is easily superior to all but the high MP sensors.

Phase One's 100MP sensor notwithstanding.

Shooting a few portraits with a 5x7 Korona View Camera is one way that I've found to distinguish myself to wedding clients.



Jan 07, 2016 at 04:57 PM
1      
2
       3              31       32       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              31       32       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password