1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2016 · Fuji X70

ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Fuji X70

arduluth wrote:
It's also bigger, slower, and has a different focal length.

yeah, what i'm saying is neither camera is what i'm looking for.
Sony could show Fuji how to cram an EVF into the X70 and then it would be awesome.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:50 PM
esanchez
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Fuji X70

I wasn't really intreated in this camera but the more I look at it the more I think it would be nice to add to my X-T1. I always wanted to try the X100 for it's leaf shutter and high speed sync, but I think the X70 will work just fine for me. XT1, X70 and XT2 or XPro2 in the near future... :-)

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:29 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Fuji X70

I just skimmed through all 5 pages, but there is no official release date correct?

B&H just says coming soon with no ship date available. I might be interested in this for an upcoming ski trip.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Fuji X70

formula4speed wrote:
I just skimmed through all 5 pages, but there is no official release date correct?

B&H just says coming soon with no ship date available. I might be interested in this for an upcoming ski trip.

From what I've read 2/15 is the release date for the X70 with the X-Pro 2 being 2/25 to 2/28.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Fuji X70

I'm looking forward to some competitive leap frogging between the GR and X70. The next GR will be a major upgrade (the last was the "s" upgrade) in about a year. I would bet that it will be 24mp, and rumors are floating around about Pentax pixel shifting or even FF.

Then the X70 will need to top that a year later, and so on. All 3 pocketable APS-C cameras are stuck at the same basic imaging format now, 16mp w/no AA filter and a sharp 18mm prime. It will be nice to see some innovation as long as the size doesn't increase beyond pocket size.

Sal

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Fuji X70

I wonder how it compares to the Fuji 18mm F2. That lens and the 56mm F1.2 and 35mm F2 is why I'm picking up a X-T10. The samples I've seen show some remarkable rendering from the 18mm F2.

Jan 26, 2016 at 05:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Fuji X70

The 18/2 is actually one of the weakest Fuji primes. It's not a bad lens, and has the same excellent rendering that many of the other lenses has, but it's not as sharp across the frame as most of the other primes.

Jan 26, 2016 at 05:27 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Fuji X70

IMO it seems to be better than the 35/1.4 in terms of rendering that I've seen from samples and reviews. I gotta say it also beats the F2.8 27mm.

I mostly agree with this reviewer:

http://photogenykstudios.com/2015/02/04/fuji-18mm-f2-review-a-little-piece-of-magic/

I'm not getting a Fuji system because it's sharp...

Jan 26, 2016 at 05:50 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Fuji X70

From early reviews, the X70, like the GR is sharp wide open across the frame. From what I've read the 18mm Fuji prime is not so strong. I bought the GR to be my 18mm prime ready to go in a pocket along with my X-E2 and longer prime. If you want to stick with X-Trans II the X70 would be an interesting option.

Sal

Jan 26, 2016 at 05:51 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Fuji X70

I guess I've never admired a street photo where I thought, wow, those corners are sharp.

Jan 26, 2016 at 07:33 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Fuji X70

I doubt that anybody admires a photo based on the things photographers obsess about.

Sal

Jan 27, 2016 at 08:47 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Fuji X70

TMaG82 wrote:
From what I've read 2/15 is the release date for the X70 with the X-Pro 2 being 2/25 to 2/28.

Thanks, probably won't be able to get one for my trip. Will wait and see if the price comes down a bit and check out some reviews from early adopters.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM
technic
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Fuji X70

Sal Baker wrote:
I'm looking forward to some competitive leap frogging between the GR and X70. The next GR will be a major upgrade (the last was the "s" upgrade) in about a year. I would bet that it will be 24mp, and rumors are floating around about Pentax pixel shifting or even FF.

Then the X70 will need to top that a year later, and so on. All 3 pocketable APS-C cameras are stuck at the same basic imaging format now, 16mp w/no AA filter and a sharp 18mm prime. It will be nice to see some innovation as long as the
...Show more

Yes, let's hope this is an incentive for Ricoh and Nikon to improve their cameras. The Coolpix A successor may be just around the corner. For me the swivel screen is a major plus in the X70, but staying at 16 MP Trans sensor is probably a step back compared to the GR and Coolpix for detail rendering. Swivel screen or good EVF, plus a 24MP or even better sensor (for cropping) would make it far more attractive.

---------------------------------------------

FlyPenFly wrote:
I guess I've never admired a street photo where I thought, wow, those corners are sharp.

Agree ... which makes me worry a bit about detail rendering and border/corner performance of the lens at infinity (for landscape style images); it might be optimized for street photography.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:40 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Fuji X70

I really like this cam. I like the idea of using the flip up screen in the way that we once shot Rolleiflex bodies. Put on a 28 viewfinder and presto, a whole different experience. What I would like is Fuji to make a brother camera, exactly the same but with a fixed short tele. Some days a combo like that would be just perfect.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Fuji X70

technic wrote:
Yes, let's hope this is an incentive for Ricoh and Nikon to improve their cameras. The Coolpix A successor may be just around the corner. For me the swivel screen is a major plus in the X70, but staying at 16 MP Trans sensor is probably a step back compared to the GR and Coolpix for detail rendering. Swivel screen or good EVF, plus a 24MP or even better sensor (for cropping) would make it far more attractive.

---------------------------------------------

Agree ... which makes me worry a bit about detail rendering and border/corner performance of the lens at infinity (for landscape style images);
...Show more

Don't know about the X70. I prefer using the GR over my Fuji for landscapes. Distant foliage and other details are sharper with the GR, but that might be the Bayer CFA at work. And the GR files can take a lot of sharpening without creating the X-Trans "worms."

18mm 2.8 must be the sweet spot for inexpensive super sharp tiny lenses as all 3 APS-C compacts use it. Maybe one of these companies are making the core optics for the other 2. Most compact users have begged for a slightly longer lens with the X70 being the most recent hope. But still no go.

Sal

Jan 28, 2016 at 09:05 AM
technic
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Fuji X70

Sal Baker wrote:
Don't know about the X70. I prefer using the GR over my Fuji for landscapes. Distant foliage and other details are sharper with the GR, but that might be the Bayer CFA at work. And the GR files can take a lot of sharpening without creating the X-Trans "worms."

If the GR had a flip screen or EVF I would buy it right away; they seem to get everything right with lens and sensor. But with only a back LCD it is too inconvenient for me due to presbyopia (external VF defies the purpose of a truly 'pocketable' camera for me). Also, many GR images have colors that I don't like, but that isn't a real worry; maybe this is because many GR owners use strange filters settings etc. with their camera?

Just waiting to see which product will be first to tick all the boxes for me, the technology to do it is available so hopefully it won't take long ;-)

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:25 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Fuji X70

technic wrote:
If the GR had a flip screen or EVF I would buy it right away; they seem to get everything right with lens and sensor. But with only a back LCD it is too inconvenient for me due to presbyopia (external VF defies the purpose of a truly 'pocketable' camera for me). Also, many GR images have colors that I don't like, but that isn't a real worry; maybe this is because many GR owners use strange filters settings etc. with their camera?

Just waiting to see which product will be first to tick all the boxes for me, the
...Show more
I would guess they're playing with all of the arty JPEG effects. I have little experience with the GR effects except for the B&W rendering which is quite good. I mostly shoot RAW and those files behave as I would expect.

Sal

Jan 28, 2016 at 03:19 PM
technic
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Fuji X70

Sal Baker wrote:
I would guess they're playing with all of the arty JPEG effects. I have little experience with the GR effects except for the B&W rendering which is quite good. I mostly shoot RAW and those files behave as I would expect.

Sal

Yes, the BW rendering of the GR looks greatt. I always shoot RAW on my Canon so would probably do the same on such a camera (although sometimes skipping the RAW processing might be convenient).

I'm also eying a GR type camera for BW infrared photography (with IR conversion), but there the lack of tilt-LCD or EVF is even more of a problem for me ;-(

Jan 28, 2016 at 05:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.