Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

cogard
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

What is the best up to 20' wide white wrinkle free backdrop...I have been using 12' seamless paper but it is just a pain to take to the location (YMCA) and it is so heavy to carry with my bad back. It needs to be wide and VERY wrinkle free

Needs to be wide because I do team photos and the walls at the Y are horrible!

Charlie O.

Edited on Jan 06, 2016 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 05, 2016 at 07:27 PM
Egor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

I would either:

1. take light white fabric (think nylon silk) and stretch between two autopoles or stands that remain at the Y for this purpose

or

2. Not bother with white background and light background best I can and have image masked in post-proc to remove any background

Jan 06, 2016 at 07:48 AM
Egor
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

I would either:

1. take light white fabric (think nylon silk) and stretch between two autopoles or stands that remain at the Y for this purpose

or

2. Not bother with white background and light background best I can and have image masked in post-proc to remove any background

Jan 06, 2016 at 07:48 AM
cogard
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

Egor wrote:
I would either:

or

Thank you, I shoot up to 70 teams per shoot so I try to have the white background to save time on editing...

Jan 06, 2016 at 08:29 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

Just a thought, but if your intent is to blow out the background, won't that also blow out the wrinkles? If there are a few here and there it would probably take care of it. I only say that because I use a not so clean white seamless often, and blow it out, taking care of any dirt spots.

Jan 06, 2016 at 12:30 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

This isn't easy at all, unless you have access to a cyc wall. But when I need to achieve a broad, white backdrop, I use a 24x10' Westcott muslin, clamped horizontally on a 20'long backdrop stand (with three poles), and another identical muslin for a white floor. The backdrop is steamed, eliminating most wrinkles, while the floor muslin is gaff-taped to the existing floor, stretching it as I go. Sometimes I'll lay down a series of white, reflective wall board on the floor to provide a smooth, reflective surface. I then tape the seam between the two muslins to minimize that joint, and sometimes have to "repair" it in Photoshop after the fact. Time consuming, but doable. The challenge is lighting the set. If you can get enough light on the backdrop, the remaining wrinkles will disappear, but you need to ensure that there isn't so much light coming back at you to affect the exposure on the subjects you're photographing. That's a function of geometry and available space. You need a lot of extra space to shoot a group in an environment like that.

Jan 06, 2016 at 12:33 PM
travelair
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

Another thought, how about chroma key green, or blue, and digitally replace at processing. This would let you layer in a team specific logo, or whatever.

Would be almost impossible to keep a white fabric clean for team photos for more than a day or two max.

Jan 06, 2016 at 12:44 PM
cogard
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

Thanks everyone, I bought a 20x10 white backdrop from Denny Mfg and it is made from a wrinkle free polyester cloth. Someone on another site told me about it and raves about it. They had a 40% of sale so we will see.

http://www.dennymfg.com/white-solid-color-backdrop/BackDropDetail/6585

Charlie O.

Jan 06, 2016 at 06:15 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wide white wrinkle free backdrop...

one other idea I have played around with but have not used yet for such a large setting but I think it might work, is white matte spandex material, you can buy it in any length, but I don't know the longest. the piece I bought was 3 yards long but don't remember the width. anyway, I thought it was at least worth mentioning. for several years I was using my husband's projector screen which is made of similar material and then I noticed that it was starting to wear in the areas that I would attach it to my background stand, so I bought this new material to replace it and eliminate further wear on the projector screen

the reason I like it so much is it is easy to blow out to white, easily back lit, no wrinkles, no steaming required ever

Jan 07, 2016 at 08:59 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.