Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HDMI video into an iPhone?

AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HDMI video into an iPhone?

http://www.theverge.com/video/2016/1/4/10712404/immersit-4d-motion-vr-gaming-ces-2016

That video shows someone with a VR headset using an iPhone (6+?) as the display accepting HDMI via an adapter and Lightning connector. I have not seen that before. Does anyone know of something that could take the HDMI out of a DSLR (I have Canon) and use such a device to control the camera while viewing HD resolution images either video or LiveView - (the USB and video out only support pretty low resolution) - like a high-res add-on touch screen controller. I am assuming the demonstration uses custom equipment.

Thanks for any info

Andy

Jan 05, 2016 at 02:13 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HDMI video into an iPhone?

Manfrotto Digital Director is designed for iPad, but might work with iPhone.

Jan 10, 2016 at 06:36 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HDMI video into an iPhone?

AJSJones wrote:
http://www.theverge.com/video/2016/1/4/10712404/immersit-4d-motion-vr-gaming-ces-2016

That video shows someone with a VR headset using an iPhone (6+?) as the display accepting HDMI via an adapter and Lightning connector. I have not seen that before. Does anyone know of something that could take the HDMI out of a DSLR (I have Canon) and use such a device to control the camera while viewing HD resolution images either video or LiveView - (the USB and video out only support pretty low resolution) - like a high-res add-on touch screen controller. I am assuming the demonstration uses custom equipment.

Thanks for any info

Andy

I think you have that the wrong way round . it looks like the feed is coming OUT of the iPhone not INTO it as your thread heading says .
the adapter used is the HDMI adapter for the iPhone (also work on the iPad) which will stream video from the iPhone/ipad to a screen as long as the APP is compliant . it allows you to show something like netflix on a bit screen using the phone .
no signal goes INTO the phone .

Jan 12, 2016 at 03:04 AM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HDMI video into an iPhone?

Thanks. So in this VR demonstration, the iPhone is generating the image pair and the only reason for the HDMI connection is solely so that the images can be seen by others outside the VR headset? That had never occurred to me as a possibility, but I'll buy it as the explanation for the set-up. Especially since I was aware that HDMI out is more normal, and I frequently use it (and am impressed by the HD qulaity rhe iPhone is capable of) I was hoping someone had figured it out. How much more could a duplex HDMI chip complicate things While high-end DSLR users might not be a big market. there are a lot of Rebel and "entry" DSLRs being sold, that HDMI out might be feasible to market. Hey, I can dream (those outboard HD displays are cumbersome and $$$)

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HDMI video into an iPhone?

yeah you see the same sort of setup when they demo stuff like Gear VR . actually I wasn't aware that iPhones could do that sort of VR .

your right about the quality the iPhone can produce . I use the HDMI dongle a fair bit to play movies etc when I'm out (usually its quite easy to hook up a HDMI cable to a hotel TV )

I had a look at the Manfrotto thing mentioned above and that does look like it does the sort of thing you want . don't know if its iPad only though

Jan 12, 2016 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.