New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

RobertBurnsII
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

Very first time doing three-point lighting.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Been continuing to work my ass off.

The lighting was 3-point continuous LED (front left brightest, with hair light and side fill), as well as Phottix Odin flash set up to my sister's right (+/- 0.0 EV), pointed at her about 3 feet away. Any things I can work on here?

I am trying to stop running from the light and EMBRACE it!

Post-processing was fairly basic, aside from a few creative filters I through on. One of these is straight-out-of-camera so you can see little was changed, except some slightly-bumped up contrast and shadows.

Also - Which of these would best in my portfolio?

Thanks!

#1 - Minor photoshop adjustments made

#2 - Straight out of camera shot

#3 -- Looking for feedback on post-processing/filter application

Jan 04, 2016 at 10:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

Hey ... look at what a bunch of all those little photons can do.

Jan 04, 2016 at 10:46 PM
RobertBurnsII
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

LMAO! I was so scared of turning the lights on. Thanks Kent!

Jan 04, 2016 at 10:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

RobertBurnsII wrote:
LMAO! I was so scared of turning the lights on. Thanks Kent!

Good to hear.

I was a bit concerned that I came on overly strong / harsh ... probably about 300% stronger than I have with most. Very glad to see you took it to heart in the constructive spirit it was intended ... along with the additional good feedback from the other good folks here who "shot straight" with you as well. You always kinda wonder how thick / thin someone's skin is when giving feedback / critique. I'd say yours is pretty thick, after the barrage I (et al) laid on you.

Imo, a fabulous improvement pace from your first set to this one. I suspect that wasn't just a lucky thing, but rather making your own luck with hard work / study / practice / etc. Carry on.

Jan 04, 2016 at 11:07 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

Hi Robert! I'm not a portrait guy so I have not commented on any of your previous images you had posted. I figured you were getting enough good help from those who know much better than I do.

Even though I have not commented, I have been following your threads because I like to learn as much as I can from the great folks here even on subject matter that is not my thing. We can never learn too much.

The reason I'm commenting now is simply to say...

Hell yeah! Your hard work and perseverance is paying off for you man! These images are vastly better than any of your previous images. You are now giving the good folks here some nice images where they can start to offer suggestions for more refinement or "nits" as it is often called here.

Keeping in mind that I'm not a portrait (person) kinda guy, here are a few things I can see that could help make these a little stronger.

#1 - Looks a little soft but could easily be fixed in PP. I think it's a little tight on top and right side. Nice relaxed pose I think but others are better at judging this than I am.

#2 - A little too much room at the top. Maybe take about half off there and maybe a sliver on the left. Maybe. Bring up the shadows just a little.

#3 - At first I didn't like this shot but after looking at it, I kinda dig the way you worked your DOF. Her happy expression is still very obvious and the "message" of #1 is the main draw of the viewers eye. Might want to sharpen the hand a little more. Too tight on top.

#4 - Nice pose and expression. I'm not sure if it's important to keep her eyes looking more forward but as shot, it works for me. Not crazy about the color and vignette used.

#5 - I think a little more room to the right would help. Maybe a tiny bump in the shadows to bring her left eye out a smidgen more?

And lastly I have to say that I think you cheated a little on this set by using such a photogenic and pretty model. She has a killer smile!

Hope some of this helps and kudos for sticking to it and taking good notes!

Dave

Jan 05, 2016 at 11:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

Like Dave, I am a landscaper who has followed your posts with little input because of lack of confidence. Glad to see you are getting good help here.

Jan 05, 2016 at 11:40 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

Some thoughts.

These are much better than the first images you posted. The effort is paying off.

Your sister is much more cooperative than mine.

Why did you choose to shoot at 2.8? Typically I would use a wide open aperture for ether a low light situation or with a portrait for a more artistic shallow depth of field and or to blur the background.

For a simple straight forward head shot I would shoot at 5.6 to 8. More depth of field clean look.

Just my thoughts.

Sam

Jan 05, 2016 at 08:00 PM
Melor
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

Pretty girl, nice smile. Do her a favor and lighten up the color on her left lateral incisor. ( I am a dentist and look at the teeth before the eyes... My hangup... )

At first I didn't "get" the third frame. After revisiting it, I like it! Will try something similar next time I shoot a similar subject.

Fourth frame - not crazy about the splash of color. It doesn't look good against her beautiful skin tone.

5th image. Not crazy about the pose and am not sure if it is lighting or is the background an inch or two behind her head?

Thanks for sharing. Take my criticisms with a grain of salt on 2 levels. I am older than the target consumer of pose 2 and 5 and while I bought a bunch of studio lights my studio shots look exactly like studio shots taken by someone who just bought studio lights and set them up out of a book....

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

revisiting, I like the lighting on 1. but the fly away hair hurts the image. In the second image her neck and necklace are under lit but the hair is better. If I were to print and hang it would be #1 in spite of the hair between these.

PJ

Jan 15, 2016 at 01:59 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Home Studio Portrait Session with the Sister

For my tastes, #2 is the best for a starting point. Somehow it just seems to show her personality best, and it looks like a great personality.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.