Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

nomalt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

I have this tripod and the top portion easily comes off the center column.

Anyone have any suggestions the best way to fix this? I was thinking some sort of epoxy. Looks as though it will be carbon fiber (Center Column) glued to polycarbonate (Top portion).

Okay, it's a Benro tripod. There, I said it. No need to reply "You got what you paid for", "Cheap Chinese Knockoffs", etc...because now I've already said it. Haha.

Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I can't seem to figure how to add a photo, so if you can copy and paste the link, you will see my dilemma.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117604788@N03/23880620700/in/dateposted-public/

Jan 04, 2016 at 02:57 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

just glue it in - this will become a light stand anyway after you buy a decent tripod

Jan 04, 2016 at 03:10 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

Is the center plug metal? If so, just rough up the anodizing and use some good epoxy.

An auto store should have a metal-friendly epoxy that will work well.

Jan 04, 2016 at 04:14 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

I would first remove the old adhesive, using a file, sandpaper or whatever, and then glue back with epoxy. Try to do this without removing any of the base material and enlarging the size of the hole.

I like JB Weld epoxy - look here:
http://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-adhesives

Amazon.com carries JB Weld.

On your failed Benro tripod, the tube appears to be carbon fiber, but I can't tell if the upper piece is metal (anodized aluminum?) or some type of plastic. This might impact the type of JB Weld that is used.

Composites One looks interesting, but I don't know if their products are readily available in small quantities to the public. You could contact them to find out.
http://www.compositesone.com/product/advanced-resins/epoxy-curing-agents/?gclid=CLD3oJakksoCFQMFaQodDPsHuA

Jan 05, 2016 at 03:49 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

It looks like you've lost the set screw that ties the top plate onto the center column. Benro use set screws a lot. Contact Induro and they might send you one.

Jan 06, 2016 at 09:38 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fixing a Tripod - recommendations?

+1 on the JB Weld. It'll be the strongest joint on your tripod. For neatness' sake, I'd first wrap the outside of the tubing with masking tape, to keep the ooze off the outside as you push the top piece back in. Then wipe off the excess and remove the tape.

I cut the bottom of the column on one of my Gitzo's several years ago, and the JB Weld has held the bag hook (which I always use) in place perfectly.

Jan 08, 2016 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.