Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Mid march trip. Utah? North Arizona?

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mid march trip. Utah? North Arizona?

Hello Jim,
To be honest with you, I would greatly recommend a trip to Iceland in March to see all those wonderful scenery plus the dancing Northern Lights.
The flight is very simple - from Orlando to Iceland.. it is just a mere 7 hour non-stop.
Cheers!
Kee

Jan 21, 2016 at 09:36 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mid march trip. Utah? North Arizona?

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hello Jim,
To be honest with you, I would greatly recommend a trip to Iceland in March to see all those wonderful scenery plus the dancing Northern Lights.
The flight is very simple - from Orlando to Iceland.. it is just a mere 7 hour non-stop.
Cheers!
Kee

Iceland is definitely on my bucket list, but since I am traveling with others, I have to accommodate them as well. And Iceland isn't on their radar at this point. But thanks for the suggestion....

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Vcize
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mid march trip. Utah? North Arizona?

JimKied wrote:
OK, so I can bet on the temps being doable. And I am guessing that most of the main roads will be open to travel between Las Vegas and wherever I wind up at. Another thing I'd like to know is if this time of year will generate good environmentals for landscape photography. That is, wil 4WD roads be accessable, can I do some hikes? For example - I have never been to mesa arch. Would that be hikeable in March. Or maybe Delicate Arch - different park, different elevation - would that be hikable in March? Or maybe Bryce
...Show more

I agree with you that for that length of time and with non-photogs onboard, they're going to have a lot more to keep them entertained in Southern Utah than they will at Death Valley.

In Southern Utah in March you're looking at 3 potential scenarios.

1) There is no snow on the ground at all and the terrain is virtually indistinguishable from mid-summer other than the lack of sweltering heat and crowds.
2) There is some snow on the ground, most of which is passable without snowshoes. Most paved roads are fine and completely clear and accessing the parks will be no problem. Dirt roads are hit or miss depending on the area.
3) It's snowing like crazy. The trails are deep and require snowshoes. Roads are filling up with snow as fast as they can plow it and snow tires or chains are a necessity.

#3 is by far the least likely. Personally, I would roll the dice but it is certainly worth considering that #3 IS a possibility, even if it's the least likely one. Luckily you'll be there long enough that you can wait it out a day or two if you need to and they usually get the roads plowed pretty quickly and the popular trails get packed down pretty quickly as well.

To answer some of your specific questions.

Mesa Arch is a short 1/4 mile "hike" from the parking lot with no real steepness. Assuming it didn't just snow a few hours beforehand you should have no problem getting there. If you can drive to the parking lot, you'll be able to walk to the arch likely in just hiking boots. It would be pretty hard to get lost here even if the trail was covered in snow, and the trail will likely get packed down and easy to follow quickly with other visitors before you.

Delicate Arch is longer (1.5 miles one way) and steeper, with some slick sections. If it's snowed recently but not in the last day you'll need at least some kind of traction, probably spikes or yaktrax (~$20 each and they just strap on to your hiking boots). Note that even if you get to the top, it's slippery/sloped and with a large dropoff up there. If it's wet, you definitely want some good traction on your feet. If it snowed the night before then I might avoid it with a family unless you have snowshoes and a determined attitude.

Bryce Canyon is by far the most likely to have snow on the ground, which is actually how I prefer Bryce. Again, unless we're talking about a very fresh storm everything should be easily accessible. The roads will be plowed, at least out to Inspiration Point (the meat of the park) if it's been a couple days since it stormed. The Navajo/Queens Garden trails will be packed down from hikers in front of you and accessible with traction (again, spikes/yaktrax). More remote trails will probably require snowshoes, but Navajo/Queens Garden is the place for first timers to Bryce to go to anyway.

As far as general photographic opportunities go, the nice thing about the area is that it will be every bit as pretty as it is any other time of year. There's no dead brown trees to worry about, it's the rock that's beautiful and any trees there are the type that don't change in the winter anyhow.

If anything, the possibility of some snow on the ground will only enhance the beauty in most cases. Bryce in particular is much better with some snow IMO. In the summer it's kind of a blinding blur of orange/red. Some white snow to add some contrast makes it much prettier IMO. Same with Arches/Canyonlands. Beautiful year round, but a touch of snow can really add to the scenery.

Zion is similar, with the only caveat being that the two most popular hikes (Narrows and Angel's Landing) will be inaccessible in March. There is plenty of other beauty there though, especially with what sounds like is a bit more casual crowd.

I haven't been to white pocket that early in the year, but there are a lot of dirt roads there so I would guess you're more likely to have troubles accessing things if there has been recent snow than you would in any of the above areas. The plus side is that you'll probably have better odds on nailing a Wave permit in the lottery.

Feb 13, 2016 at 03:45 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mid march trip. Utah? North Arizona?

dd

Feb 14, 2016 at 06:18 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mid march trip. Utah? North Arizona?

Vcize wrote:
I agree with you that for that length of time and with non-photogs onboard, they're going to have a lot more to keep them entertained in Southern Utah than they will at Death Valley.

In Southern Utah in March you're looking at 3 potential scenarios.

1) There is no snow on the ground at all and the terrain is virtually indistinguishable from mid-summer other than the lack of sweltering heat and crowds.
2) There is some snow on the ground, most of which is passable without snowshoes. Most paved roads are fine and completely clear and accessing the parks will be no problem.
...Show more

Wow! Very informative. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide this info, it is really helpful. It helps paint a good picture of what to anticipate in each scenario given. For us folks that don't live in the southwest, it is difficult for us to anticipate/visualize what to expect. Thanks again.

Feb 14, 2016 at 06:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.