New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Print Presentation

brockslinger
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Print Presentation

Hi Everyone -

I have recently had some family/friends request prints of my work and I want to present it to them in the best way possible. I am into photography as a hobby and not a career but if I am going to start selling prints I want to do it in the most professional way.

I have a local printer that I use and am very happy with the results on archival paper up to 30x20. My question is how do you present your prints? Matting? Especially if sending over UPS/FedEx - is foam board a good idea with cardboard protection?

If you send off a image to a client, what does it look like at final production?

Thanks for the help -

Brock

Jan 03, 2016 at 07:48 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Print Presentation

I've delivered prints in all sorts of presentation states. I just completed an order of 25 large canvas prints which I hand delivered varnished but no other finish. The customer is going to finish the prints to suite the lodge they are going into.

I've delivered totally finished prints with matting, backing and framing ready to hang. I use flat boxes with reinforced edges for shipping. I've never had a print come back because of shipping damage.

One thing to note...it gets very expensive to matte and frame large prints, especially if done by a professional framer. If you get into producing a lot of prints, it might pay to learn the craft of framing.

Jan 03, 2016 at 08:23 PM
brockslinger
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Print Presentation

chez wrote:
I've delivered prints in all sorts of presentation states. I just completed an order of 25 large canvas prints which I hand delivered varnished but no other finish. The customer is going to finish the prints to suite the lodge they are going into.

I've delivered totally finished prints with matting, backing and framing ready to hang. I use flat boxes with reinforced edges for shipping. I've never had a print come back because of shipping damage.

One thing to note...it gets very expensive to matte and frame large prints, especially if done by a professional framer. If you get into
...Show more

Thanks for the reply Chez - I'm not sure I posed my original questions as clearly as I intended.

I'm more looking into how to present fine art prints on paper. The framing and setting would be up to the client to put together. As you stated matting and framing becomes very expensive very quickly. I don't want to just send off a flat sheet of photo paper between two pieces of cardboard in an envelope.

Knowing that; how would you send off a 12x18 print that a client wants to frame on their own?

Jan 03, 2016 at 08:37 PM
AdamParent
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Print Presentation

Chez,

Where do you get your flat shipping boxes? I haven't found a good source yet.

I've found stay flat shipping envelopes for 8.5 X 11 prints from uline and multiple sources for reinforcing cardboard sheets. I haven't found a solution for larger prints though. At least, not one that doesn't break the bank.

Jan 03, 2016 at 09:23 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Print Presentation

Hi Brock,

You may find this site of interest: http://www.archivalmethods.com/

I would offer that you can easily wind up spending more on the packaging than the print cost you. Presentation is certainly important, but unless you're pricing at a significant premium, you may want to at least initially beginning conservatively. It's not just the per unit cost of packaging, it's inventorying it - especially if you need or intend to use several sizes - that becomes burdensome quickly.

In my opinion, a good option is to properly protect the prints with acid-free material surrounded by sufficient boxing or cardboard to ensure it's not bent, creased, banged-up, etc. And include a note that the print is safely surrounded by acid free, archival paper or envelope or bag, whatever - AND that they should discard the outer packaging (cardboard, for example) soon after taking delivery because it isn't acid free, it was just temporary protection for shipping - yada yada.

For many, that's all they need to hear to recognize your professionalism extends to every last detail.

You can also purchase cardboard sheets with a white (rather than brown) surface if you want your care to be more evident... http://www.uline.com/BL_1858/White-Corrugated-Pads

If you decide to go all out (http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/digital-print-folio), Archival Methods will give you an idea of what's available.

Regards,

Chuck

Jan 03, 2016 at 09:34 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Print Presentation

AdamParent wrote:
Chez,

Where do you get your flat shipping boxes? I haven't found a good source yet.

I've found stay flat shipping envelopes for 8.5 X 11 prints from uline and multiple sources for reinforcing cardboard sheets. I haven't found a solution for larger prints though. At least, not one that doesn't break the bank.

I use UPS to do my packaging. It is not cheap, but is very good. I have never had any prints damaged with UPS shipping.

Jan 03, 2016 at 09:44 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Print Presentation

brockslinger wrote:
I have recently had some family/friends request prints of my work and I want to present it to them in the best way possible. I am into photography as a hobby and not a career but if I am going to start selling prints I want to do it in the most professional way.

I have a local printer that I use and am very happy with the results on archival paper up to 30x20. My question is how do you present your prints? Matting? Especially if sending over UPS/FedEx - is foam board a good idea with cardboard protection?
...Show more

I only do flat shipping for smaller prints. 20" x 30", 24" x 36", I ship in 4" diameter shipping tubes, unless requested flat. Flat shipping is expensive for larger sized prints, and I find few that are willing to pay for it.

I mostly print on cotton rag fie art paper, which uncurls without much problem. RC paper would be another matter, but most of my clients (professional and amateur), are aware of the qualities of fine art paper. The baryta papers also uncurl fairly easily.

Printing large means printing from roll paper. Do you want to uncurl it at your end to pay the shipping premium?

It is about 4-6 times the cost to ship large and flat.

I have shipped flat for larger orders. Most recently 71 prints of various sizes to a large university archival dept. Then the shipping costs are mitigated.

Form board is a no. It will easily dent and also transmits the force of any man handling to the print. There is a corrugated plastic material, used for temp signage, that is stiffer (available at home supply stores).

Brian A

Jan 03, 2016 at 10:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Print Presentation

Brian did my last 24x36 on Canson rag photographique and shipped it in a tube with a nice protective layer of acid free paper. (17x29 is my max print size)

I did a reverse roll for about an hour and the print was flat enough for framing.

I get lots of material like 24x36 paper shipped in flat well protected boxes and you would be surprised at how often I see crushed corners and bent edges. It's usually easy enough to work around, but those tubes are just so much better.

Jan 04, 2016 at 09:42 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.