Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
13
       end
  

Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions
  
 
timde
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #1 · p.13 #1 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


I would take which ever one supports AF-A mode

And preferably without an ugly button or dial (that's you Sony) to activate it.

Neither of these cameras do that, right?



Apr 24, 2017 at 04:25 PM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #2 · p.13 #2 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions




robgo2 wrote:
Focal length is the key deciding factor. I agree that 35mm is more versatile, but 28mm can be more dynamic. I think that one has to learn how to use wider focal lengths optimally. I have seen some wonderful portraits taken at 28mm. It's a matter of knowing how to do it. That's what I'm going to attempt to learn with the Q. If, ultimately, I decide that it's not right for me, then I will sell it, and someone else will have the opportunity to get a fantastic camera.

Here is a series of photographs taken with the Leica Q
...Show more

An interesting aside to the Cuba portfolio. Elsewhere, the photographer wrote that he took two other camera kits with him on the "Elle" assignment but ended up using the Q exclusively. The other gear never left his hotel.



Apr 24, 2017 at 06:01 PM
seanj
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #3 · p.13 #3 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


The Cuba images are nice. But those images are also more a function of the photographer being awesome. We could do the same thing with this photographer going to Manilla for a quick trip and then taking the RX1RII on a 10-day trip to India: https://petapixel.com/2016/04/06/review-shooting-sony-rx1r-ii-manila-india/

Both cameras are outstanding and the real limitation will be the person taking the photographs more than it is the deficiencies in the equipment.



Apr 24, 2017 at 07:07 PM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #4 · p.13 #4 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


seanj wrote:
The Cuba images are nice. But those images are also more a function of the photographer being awesome. We could do the same thing with this photographer going to Manilla for a quick trip and then taking the RX1RII on a 10-day trip to India: https://petapixel.com/2016/04/06/review-shooting-sony-rx1r-ii-manila-india/

Both cameras are outstanding and the real limitation will be the person taking the photographs more than it is the deficiencies in the equipment.


Well, it is a truism in photography that the photographer is more important than the equipment. I think we can all agree on that. I was just pointing out that this particular photographer preferred using a Q over much more complex and versatile gear for his Cuba assignment. There must have been a good reason for that, if only that his back was hurting, and he wanted the lightest load possible.

Rob


Edited on Apr 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM · View previous versions



Apr 24, 2017 at 10:37 PM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #5 · p.13 #5 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


Who says that you can't take portraits with a 28mm lens? All of the images below were taken with a Leica Q. My clients were delighted with the results.

Rob






















Apr 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM
saxguy
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #6 · p.13 #6 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


I was playing around with the RX1R ii and the Q tonight. I'm having a little bit of an issue with the AF hunting in low light on the Sony. The Q locks on pretty quick. I think I may like the Q a little better in the way it handles. Last night I was ready to go RX1R ii all the way tonight I'm not so sure. I shot this with the Q as I snapped shots around the house:

Leica1 by George Dierna, on Flickr



Sep 28, 2017 at 02:18 AM
Donzo98
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #7 · p.13 #7 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


FWIW... I LOVE my Q!!


Sep 28, 2017 at 02:54 AM
Donzo98
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #8 · p.13 #8 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


Leica PORN... it's futile to resist

Q shot with the Noct @ 0.95...








Sep 29, 2017 at 02:42 PM
SoundHound
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #9 · p.13 #9 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


I have a lot of Sony cameras (RX100 MKV, RX10 MKII and three A9's). I looked at both the Q and the Sony RX1r MKII. My feeling is that I can wait for the MK III Version which I hope will have more A9 features such as better focusing. However, if I can't change the lens I would prefer wider, may be 28 or 30 mm.


Sep 30, 2017 at 05:38 PM
zhangyue
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #10 · p.13 #10 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


The Q looks really smooth here. Both great camera. Q is better with AF I assume. RX1 can be much cheaper though and Rx2 has awesome 42M. And RX is pocketable, one of its biggest selling point at least to me. Each to each own.
You can't go wrong with either if you are after fixed lens camera.
robgo2 wrote:
Who says that you can't take portraits with a 28mm lens? All of the images below were taken with a Leica Q. My clients were delighted with the results.

Rob




Sep 30, 2017 at 06:27 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #11 · p.13 #11 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


zhangyue wrote:
The Q looks really smooth here. Both great camera. Q is better with AF I assume. RX1 can be much cheaper though and Rx2 has awesome 42M. And RX is pocketable, one of its biggest selling point at least to me. Each to each own.
You can't go wrong with either if you are after fixed lens camera.



I had an RX1 (not the Mk2) and thought that the IQ was excellent, but the Q really is superior, IMO. Although both cameras are 24MP, the files from the Q are much sharper and more detailed with better color as well. In terms of ergonomics and usability, it's no contest. The Q wins in every conceivable way. It is larger, to be sure, but still small enough to be barely noticeable around the neck or on the wrist. As for the RX1R-II being pocketable, that's only if your talking about a decent size jacket or coat pocket.

I would love to have an opportunity to test a Mk2 camera, but other than having more MP and a slightly better DR, I have my doubts that the IQ is noticeably better than the Q, unless you are printing very large or cropping aggressively.

Rob



Sep 30, 2017 at 09:14 PM
hsiunghsiung
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #12 · p.13 #12 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


Anyone felt like the Q drew too much attention when using? And would prefer the rx1rii for low profile?


Oct 11, 2017 at 01:25 AM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #13 · p.13 #13 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


hsiunghsiung wrote:
Anyone felt like the Q drew too much attention when using? And would prefer the rx1rii for low profile?


Nope, though I did cover the somewhat ostentatious red dot with black tape. That's just a personal matter for me that has nothing to do with drawing attention amongst non-photo enthusiasts.



Oct 11, 2017 at 02:37 AM
saxguy
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #14 · p.13 #14 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


I went through a big struggle as I loved the Q when I tried it along side the RX1R ii. After looking at images in LR, I decided to keep the RX1R ii. I got some great automobile shots at a recent event but then I had a problem shooting indoors in that the Sony was consistently hunting for focus under low light conditions. When switching to manual focus I really didn't love the lack of 1:1 feel of the manual focus ring if I had to use it all the time. Furthermore, I found that even with focus magnification there was still a little bit of room for error with geting sharp photos. In addition, I was seeing images with a little bit of camera shake. When I took it out the next day in well lit conditions the magic returned.

I probably should haved bumped the ISO up to 12500 and played with shutter speeds more, but at this point I was discouraged. I returned the RX1R II. Now the tough decision - what to replace it with.

I just sold off my audio gear because we are going to be relocating and downsizing, so I had some extra funds. I decided that If I was going to Leica (as I really liked the Q), I was going all in. I ordered the M10 and the APO Summicron-M 50mm f/2. I figured this would be my holy grail. Never mind that I never shot a range finder before, I was going to make it work...but I didn't do my homeowrk properly.

I have astigmatism. With an EVF this doesn't really matter. With a range finder, it does. It's almost impossible to see if everything is completely in focus when using a range finder when you have astigmatism. Yes, I could shoot with my glasses on, but that's not the way I like to do it.

Second, composition is a little different when using a range finder. Yes, lots of people get some great compositions when using one but, for me, I'm used to visualizing everything without extraneous information. That was a bit difficult.

So I am abandoning the M10 for now and ordered the new Silver Q. At least I know I enjoy shoooting with it and I will get more consistent results. I guess with the money I saved I can take my family on vacation...and photograph it with the Q



Nov 14, 2017 at 02:26 AM
slickturner
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #15 · p.13 #15 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


It seems to me that you Q people may be a touch insecure, Eh?


Nov 14, 2017 at 02:57 AM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #16 · p.13 #16 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


saxguy wrote:
I went through a big struggle as I loved the Q when I tried it along side the RX1R ii. After looking at images in LR, I decided to keep the RX1R ii. I got some great automobile shots at a recent event but then I had a problem shooting indoors in that the Sony was consistently hunting for focus under low light conditions. When switching to manual focus I really didn't love the lack of 1:1 feel of the manual focus ring if I had to use it all the time. Furthermore, I found that even with focus magnification
...Show more

The SL is another alternative, and it has a superb EVF. You can use native AF lenses or any non-native lens via an adapter. Yes, it is larger and heavier than the M10, but it is also more versatile. Personally, I do not find the size to be an issue with M-mount lenses, and I am not a big guy with big hands. Still, the Q is a great camera that you already know you like. Enjoy using it.

Rob



Nov 14, 2017 at 04:13 AM
Mescalamba
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #17 · p.13 #17 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


robgo2 wrote:
The SL is another alternative, and it has a superb EVF. You can use native AF lenses or any non-native lens via an adapter. Yes, it is larger and heavier than the M10, but it is also more versatile. Personally, I do not find the size to be an issue with M-mount lenses, and I am not a big guy with big hands. Still, the Q is a great camera that you already know you like. Enjoy using it.

Rob


I would add that SL seems as best thing Leica has atm, but 24 mpix without AA wasnt that great idea to begin with and those lens (at least "kit lens") are SW corrected much like Panasonic ones. Which at price they sold is tad bit too much.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8280161083/leica-sl-real-world-samples-gallery/3468050042

At first I was like, okay.. thats my next camera and after this photo (RAW version) Im more like. Hm.. maybe. Usually Im against Mpix wars, but if one makes camera without AA, its better to have those mpix. Something like A7RIII is just about right in mpix department for AA less camera.

And fact that 24-90/2,8-4 ASPH costs pretty much 5 grand and it needs PF correction, CA correction and some distortion is big fkin no. I mean, distortion and vignetting correction is ok, even for really expensive stuff. But srsly PF? On 5 grand lens?



Nov 14, 2017 at 05:22 PM
Viramati
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #18 · p.13 #18 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


hsiunghsiung wrote:
Anyone felt like the Q drew too much attention when using? And would prefer the rx1rii for low profile?


Absolutely not especially with it's almost silent leaf shutter. I have a bit of black tape over the red dot but then I have always covered the logos on all my cameras over the last 30 years or so be it Olympus, Nikon Sony, Leica or Fuji.



Nov 14, 2017 at 05:40 PM
robgo2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #19 · p.13 #19 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions


Mescalamba wrote:
I would add that SL seems as best thing Leica has atm, but 24 mpix without AA wasnt that great idea to begin with and those lens (at least "kit lens") are SW corrected much like Panasonic ones. Which at price they sold is tad bit too much.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8280161083/leica-sl-real-world-samples-gallery/3468050042

At first I was like, okay.. thats my next camera and after this photo (RAW version) Im more like. Hm.. maybe. Usually Im against Mpix wars, but if one makes camera without AA, its better to have those mpix. Something like A7RIII is just about right in mpix department for AA less camera.

And
...Show more

I don't use the 24-90 SL, as it is too large for my liking. However, there are those who would argue that correcting fully for aberrations detracts from certain rendering qualities that are highly valued by many Leica lens fans.



Nov 14, 2017 at 05:42 PM
1       2       3              12      
13
       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
13
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password