FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13       end

Archive 2016 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

TheEyesHaveIt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Does the Leica brand aspect have something to do with me wanting a Q? I'd be lying if I said no. Of course the heritage, history, and reputation for supreme quality plays a factor. But ultimately if the experience is bad once in hand, all of that goes out the window (unless you're not sane). Compared to my A7II, the Q is wonderfully light and compact - a companion for every moment vs. just the ones that I plan ahead for (like with the A7II). The user interface is simple and refined compared to the Sony - maybe a negative for folks that like a myriad of options. Having a fully mechanical setup for shutter, aperture, and focus may seem like a step backwards, but to me it is getting back to a more hands on, deliberate pursuit of photography. So many cameras these days with their technological advancements make it EASY to just point and shoot without a thought or care in the world. Where's the joy in that? Sure there is a convenience (and a necessary one at times), but at other times, I personally want to slow things down and soak in the scene I am trying to capture. Feel is an important aspect. Connection to your camera is an important aspect. Ultimately though, capturing a moment in time in your life is the most important aspect - and to each their own in that regard.

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:27 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

robgo2 wrote:
The smaller size of the RX1 is a double-edged sword:

To me, the two stand out features of my RX1Rii are the compact size and the fantastic 35mm lens. If I didn't care about the size, I'd probably look elsewhere.

I've compared the Q and my RX1Rii side by side and for the way I use the camera, the Q is a little too large for me. I'm probably atypical for this group in that I'm not that sensitive to ergonomics - I seem to adjust just fine to whichever camera has the features and lenses I want.

Apr 20, 2017 at 03:14 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Jeff Kott wrote:
To me, the two stand out features of my RX1Rii are the compact size and the fantastic 35mm lens. If I didn't care about the size, I'd probably look elsewhere.

I've compared the Q and my RX1Rii side by side and for the way I use the camera, the Q is a little too large for me. I'm probably atypical for this group in that I'm not that sensitive to ergonomics - I seem to adjust just fine to whichever camera has the features and lenses I want.

my thoughts exactly.

Apr 20, 2017 at 05:54 AM
low325
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

chuhsi1 wrote:
Any rumors about a new Q coming out anytime soon? I'm thinking about getting one and cutting back on my Nikon gear

Do it. It's a lot of money but it answered a lot of wants for me.

Apr 21, 2017 at 03:26 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Faster handling, more responsive - Q
More resolution, higher IQ - RX1Rii

Seems like that's the consensus, brand subjectivities aside

Apr 21, 2017 at 01:45 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

low325 wrote:
Do it. It's a lot of money but it answered a lot of wants for me.

consider other hobby? $4500 is just a small change.

@chuhsi1: DO IT MAN. After getting the Q, i use my D5 less and less. It is the magic of the red dot.

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:24 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Haha. Tempted. I would probably sell my DF and a few lenses to fund the purchase, but keep my d4s

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:38 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Well, I received my Q today. Condition is immaculate. Early testing confirms reports that the image quality is freaking amazing.

Rob

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:43 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

robgo2 wrote:
Well, I received my Q today. Condition is immaculate. Early testing confirms reports that the image quality is freaking amazing.

Rob

How are you finding the size? I have been interested, but it looks big, at least compared to the rx1.

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:24 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Both very nice cameras.
The biggest reason why I bought the RX1RII instead of the Q is the focal length. I like 35mm much more than 28mm. To me a 35 is more versatile and I want versatility in this type of camera.
For my way of shooting I also much prefer a tiltable screen. The Sony has one, the Q doesn't.

The Q is absolutely faster, but the Sony isn't bad at all. A very big improvement over the original RX1 (which I also owned). Even AF tracking works great.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

robgo2
• • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

nehemiahphoto wrote:
How are you finding the size? I have been interested, but it looks big, at least compared to the rx1.

The Q is bigger than the RX1, but it is not too big, IMO. It is very easy to grip, especially when shooting, either with the EVF or the rear LCD. The weight is enough to make it feel substantial but not so much as to make it a pain to carry on the wrist or shoulder for extended periods. (I have not had an opportunity to try that myself, but I'm confident that the statement is true.) I find the overall shooting experience to be more enjoyable than the RX1, which means that I will be more inclined to use the Q. I have never used the RX1II, which is more responsive, but the way it handles must be the same.

Rob

Edited on Apr 22, 2017 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Apr 22, 2017 at 04:32 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Jochenb wrote:
Both very nice cameras.
The biggest reason why I bought the RX1RII instead of the Q is the focal length. I like 35mm much more than 28mm. To me a 35 is more versatile and I want versatility in this type of camera.
For my way of shooting I also much prefer a tiltable screen. The Sony has one, the Q doesn't.

Focal length is the key deciding factor. I agree that 35mm is more versatile, but 28mm can be more dynamic. I think that one has to learn how to use wider focal lengths optimally. I have seen some wonderful portraits taken at 28mm. It's a matter of knowing how to do it. That's what I'm going to attempt to learn with the Q. If, ultimately, I decide that it's not right for me, then I will sell it, and someone else will have the opportunity to get a fantastic camera.

Here is a series of photographs taken with the Leica Q by a professional photographer while on assignment in Cuba for "Elle" magazine. I suggest clicking on the individual images to enlarge them.

http://rodriguezahr.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/cuba-defrosting-world.html

Rob

Apr 22, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Q has the digital 35mm and 50mm mode.

Apr 22, 2017 at 04:51 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Rob, thanks for sharing the link - great stuff there.

28mm reinforces the "get close" concept, not at all a bad thing for people shots when framed well. like you say, "more dynamic."

Gotta work on some Spanish and get to Cuba.

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:14 PM
seanj
• •
p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Bubble wrote:
Q has the digital 35mm and 50mm mode.

Simple cropping, sure. I suppose that's a feature for some; just not for me. Here's what you lose as you "zoom."

24/15/8 MP 6000x4000 px 4800x3200 px 3360x2240 px

Then again, that 8 MP image from the 50mm mode is still a bit better than the Nikon D70 I bought in 2004, so there's that.

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

And how many of you will print billboard size print from the Q? Just saying...or just "zoom with your feet".

Apr 22, 2017 at 05:52 PM
seanj
• •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Bubble wrote:
And how many of you will print billboard size print from the Q? Just saying...or just "zoom with your feet".

I doubt any of us are printing billboard size. I shoot full frame because I value image quality and if I am printing then I am printing at a high DPI (e.g., 300). I wouldn't go above about 11" x 7" with that 50mm cropped version you're suggesting. That's a far, far cry from billboard . . . that's also too small to appease my needs for what I display.

Apr 22, 2017 at 06:21 PM
low325
• • •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

Bubble wrote:

i would so take that challenge if i were guaranteed a spot!

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

seanj wrote:
I doubt any of us are printing billboard size. I shoot full frame because I value image quality and if I am printing then I am printing at a high DPI (e.g., 300). I wouldn't go above about 11" x 7" with that 50mm cropped version you're suggesting. That's a far, far cry from billboard . . . that's also too small to appease my needs for what I display.

i'm not suggesting anything. All i say is that in the Q, you do have the extra crop mode for folk that complaining about 28mm too wide. Even with the RXii, you can't get the 50mm range unless you have to "MOVE" closer. Creativity, frame your picture is more important than buying a camera just because they're having a 35mm lens or 28mm. I'm not defend for either brand. To me, carry around a $3200/$4500 "point and shot camera" is "way over the top" and kinda crazy in my opinion. AND yes, i'm one of those "crazy" guy that actually bought the Q myself. Is it enhance my skill? heck no. Is it give me better print size when not cropping mode like you said? heck no. Is it feel cool/good with that little red dot? hell yes.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:35 PM
coase

p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Leica Q vs Sony RX1rII - My in depth impressions

As an amateur with few brand loyalties, I appreciate reading these kinds of threads because they give me insight into what fans of a given camera or system especially like or care about. I can then decide if that is worth investigating or not.

As a value per dollar sort of buyer, I rarely buy Leica things because I feel one pays too high a premium for the Red Dot. I have the good fortune also of being able to borrow Leica equipment from a colleague who is a fanatic who only buys Leica and Voigtlander to check things for myself. I happen to have a used RX1 even though I think its price is too high because I got it on the cheap.

Having said this, it's all subjective. Even the objective stuff. Because all tests can do is tell you that such and such is measurably different from such and such. Whether those differences are important or worth the dollars is purely subjective. And no test will settle that.

In the end, serious photography is an indulgence for all of us. But still satisfying for all that.

Apr 24, 2017 at 01:57 PM
       13       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password