New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

ggreene wrote:
My Kingdom for BBPro on OSX.

Use BBP Pro under Parallels. It can be set to a mode that makes BB Pro or other Windows software look like another Mac program in that you won't have to deliberately switch over to Windows to use it.

Jan 03, 2016 at 04:54 AM
elluDe
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Although the latest version of DDP 4 are faster than the initial release (which was dog slow), it is still much slower than DDP 3. On my windows 7 laptop I find DDP 4 to be just about usable but frustrating. DDP 3 on the other hand flies along and is super fast both at previewing and converting raw files to jpeg.

I try to finish pictures as far as possible in DPP and only use photoshop for further adjustments for the occasional picture that needs it.

I've kept DPP 4 installed on my machine and use it from time to time when I'm working with only a few pics, but for everything else its still DPP 3 for me.

Jan 03, 2016 at 12:33 PM
Jan Kristensen
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Thanks for the input, elluDe.

It appears that it's not just me experiencing DPP being very slow. Seems that handling a 4k/5k monitor seems to slow things down even more. I'm curious to hear if anyone else is using DPP 4 on a 5k iMac!

I have now installed DPP 3 on my computer and it runs at acceptable speed. Unfortuantely it doesn't have a lens profile for my 16-35 f/4 IS and I miss the shadow/highlight recovery tools :-(

It would also be interesting to hear Canon's input on this issue but there doesn't appear to be any support for DPP.

Thanks,
Jan

Jan 04, 2016 at 04:02 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Don Clary wrote:
... Does anyone any suggestions? I may now have to use PhotoShop CS6 for raw conversions.

Lightroom

Jan 04, 2016 at 09:46 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Hi Jan,
What version DPP3 are you on?

I ask as I'm on 3.15.0.0 and it has a lens profile for the 16-35 f/4IS and also separate sliders for shadow/highlight.

Jan 04, 2016 at 09:51 AM
Jan Kristensen
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Hi Photoadave,

That's good news, thanks! I will have to check the version when I get home. I downloaded it from Canon Europe and assumed it was the latest one. I was not able to find the 16-35 f/4 IS lens profile in the list.

I don't assume anyone has had a chance to test DPP 4 on a 5k Mac?

Thanks again for all the input,
Jan

Jan 05, 2016 at 06:15 AM
Coop747

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

I know this is an older thread, but I will add some important info from my findings:

I purchased a NEW Lenovo (Win10) all in one to replace an aging HP (Win7) laptop.

I ONLY used DPP to tether and VIEW images and maybe store remotely my files (I do product photography in my studio, and often off-site. I edit on a 5K iMac up in the office)

DPP4 was painfully slow to tether and load. It took 10-15 seconds per image before it cleared.

I uninstalled the DPP4 program and EOS Utility3. Instead I went back to an older DPP3 and EOS Utility2 disk and installed them...

Like night and day. Images would load to full view resolution within 5 seconds. For me, to have to wait that long to review images, it would have wasted WAY too much time.

My needs are unique, but the problem and speed differences are real, and the earlier program worked MUCH better.

Jim

Apr 17, 2016 at 08:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

It's just the way the damned DPP4 program runs.
FWIW, you can have 3 and 4 installed simultaneously.

EBH

Apr 17, 2016 at 09:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

scalesusa wrote:
I have both DPP3 and DPP 4 installed on a plain vanilla Dell i7 12GB from Costco with a SSD added for programs to reside on. Sharpness adjustments are nearly real time, NR takes 1 second. It takes about 1-2 seconds to save a edited file.

I can't tell any difference between ver 3 & 4. Lightroom 2015CC is faster, so I very seldom use DPP. (Lightroom does not save the edited file, just records the changes in the database which is why it appears to be faster.)

I find it strange that some are seeing a slow response, but that's common
...Show more

Batch convert 50 5D III RAW files to TIFF with DPP3 and DPP4, time that and divide by 50. What are the average conversion speeds?

EBH

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:56 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Coop747 wrote:
I know this is an older thread, but I will add some important info from my findings:

I purchased a NEW Lenovo (Win10) all in one to replace an aging HP (Win7) laptop.

I ONLY used DPP to tether and VIEW images and maybe store remotely my files (I do product photography in my studio, and often off-site. I edit on a 5K iMac up in the office)

DPP4 was painfully slow to tether and load. It took 10-15 seconds per image before it cleared.

I uninstalled the DPP4 program and EOS Utility3. Instead I went back to an older DPP3 and EOS
...Show more

I have exactly the same issues on location, I have an i7 laptop and end up using Eos Utility 2 and Breeze Browser Pro because that was by far the fastest combo to get RAW's to view.

DPP4 RAW conversions are absolutely no better than DPP3 as far as my processing ability goes, plus little things like the resize option isn't sticky like it is in DPP3 so you have to manually select it every time and there's no way to do the crop without selecting a different tool. It takes several seconds for every alteration to de-pixelize.

It's slow as a slug too, a single RAW conversion can take 15 seconds or more

It gives another option now there's a DPP4 that finally works with older cameras but DPP4's benefts are pretty limited IMHO

Apr 18, 2016 at 03:03 AM
tuantran
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Mine runs fast on Win 7 and Win 10. For those who are having problems, have you tried running it in Win 7 compatibility mode?

Apr 18, 2016 at 03:13 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

I'm running Windows 10 LTSB with DPP 4.4.30.2, with 32 GB of memory on a 4.4Ghz MB with an Nvidia Quadro card which opens 36 5DSR images in about 5 seconds to the image strip, and than a double click brings up a 3180X2160 image in less than 3 seconds on a Samsung 4K monitor. OS drive is a Samsung SM951 SSD and the processing drive is a Samsung NVMe 950. Not much different than all the rest of the software. PS, LR, DXO, C1. The slowest is Piccure, which is the best of the lot, but being a deconvolution processor is about 10 minutes per image. If you have the time the results are great.

Apr 22, 2016 at 09:57 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

dhphoto wrote:
I have exactly the same issues on location, I have an i7 laptop and end up using Eos Utility 2 and Breeze Browser Pro because that was by far the fastest combo to get RAW's to view.

DPP4 RAW conversions are absolutely no better than DPP3 as far as my processing ability goes, plus little things like the resize option isn't sticky like it is in DPP3 so you have to manually select it every time and there's no way to do the crop without selecting a different tool. It takes several seconds for every alteration to de-pixelize.

It's slow as a
...Show more

I thought on new bodies DPP4 had a "fine detail" option that was fantastic? Anyway DPP4 runs great on i7 notebooks win7 64 and SSD drives. Two Fujitsu and one Acer. RAW background mid-tones process much smoother than with Adobe RAW converter.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:10 PM
suman
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

This just confirms the cause of my frustration with DPP4. It is dog slow compared to DPP3 but I can't use it with 80D RAW files. I love the greater control of RAW conversion in DPP4 but man, on a fast i5, this thing converts at a snail's pace compared to DPP3.

Sep 08, 2016 at 09:12 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Jan Kristensen wrote:
I need help!

I've been using DPP since 2006 and always been happy with it. However, I just installed version 4.3.31 on my brand new iMac 5k with 32 GB RAM and it is so slow that I can't use it! For example it takes 10 seconds for an image to "sharpen up" when I open it and 8-10 for it to react when I use for example the exposure slider.

Can this really be true? Are there any ways to speed things up or do I really need to go back to DPP 3?

Thanks in advance!

Jan

Hi Jan,

there something wrong with your system. I exclusively use DPP for my RAW conversion needs, I use it on both PC and Mac.

I have a Mac Pro trashcan (quad core Xeon) plus 32 GB RAM and dual D700 GPU's attached to my NEC 4K display.

Rendering a 20 Mega pixel RAW file takes about 3 seconds at 100% view. changing sharpness is instantaneous
while changing NR and re-rendering the file takes 3-4 seconds to render again.

I think many folks who are experiencing slow DPP have one of the following

-Bad installation. remove DPP fully from your system, make sure Mac OS is fully updated and then install DPP again.

-Running large number of CR2 files on an HDD or a so-called fusions drive some of the iMac's have. (you really need a fast SSD). Running from an HDD will be painfuly slow. This includes both the OS driver where you run DPP AND also where the images are stores. Ditch the spinning rust!

-Attaching an iMac to a large external monitor (4K/5K). The GPU in the iMac is not powerful enough to drive two 4/5K displays simultaneously, it will overload the CPU and slow things down.

-Using DLO (digital lens optimizer) this can slow down the DPP because it increases the file size and calculations significantly.

-Also, in general DPP runs faster on a similarly spec'ed PC than a Mac, the difference is 15-20%. This is because the code isn't really optimized for Mac OS.

The new version of DPP also supports GPU for calculations which makes it faster using CUDA platform but Apple doesn't have Nvidia hardware so no luck there either....

hope this helps

Sep 09, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Jan Kristensen
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Hi Speedmaster20d,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

I'm not a computer expert, so I cannot rule out that there's anything wrong with my system. It's just weird how DPP 3 and Photoshop seems to work fine whereas DPP 4 is ultra slow.

- I already tried reinstalling DPP4 but can try again...

- I am using a 1 TB internal Macintosh SSD (not fusion)

- I have a late 2015 Retina 5K iMac with 32 GB RAM and no external monitor

- I may be using DLO (digital lens optimizer) but will try and turn it off.

Any other ideas are very welcome.

Thanks!
Jan

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:20 AM
Jan Kristensen
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

arbitrage wrote:
I haven't tried DPP4 all that much but my guess is that it is slow generating the large preview to fill the high resolution of the 5K iMac each time you open the RAW and start working. When I return home next week I will see how it works on my 5K iMac and report back.
/quote]

Hi Arbitrage, Did you get DPP 4 to work on your 5K iMac? Thanks, Jan

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:22 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Andrew J wrote:
I thought on new bodies DPP4 had a "fine detail" option that was fantastic? Anyway DPP4 runs great on i7 notebooks win7 64 and SSD drives. Two Fujitsu and one Acer. RAW background mid-tones process much smoother than with Adobe RAW converter.

Just to answer that question from months ago that I never saw, the 'fine detail' picture style is nothing more or less than having the sharpness turned up and the masking turned down. Crude and prone to artifacts.

DPP4 *IS* very slow, far too slow for me to consider it for anything more than a few files plus the conversions are no better than DPP3 as the underlying software is just the same

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:26 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

Jan Kristensen wrote:
Hi Speedmaster20d,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

I'm not a computer expert, so I cannot rule out that there's anything wrong with my system. It's just weird how DPP 3 and Photoshop seems to work fine whereas DPP 4 is ultra slow.

- I already tried reinstalling DPP4 but can try again...

- I am using a 1 TB internal Macintosh SSD (not fusion)

- I have a late 2015 Retina 5K iMac with 32 GB RAM and no external monitor

- I may be using DLO (digital lens optimizer) but will try and turn it off.

Any other ideas are very welcome.

Thanks!
Jan

Hi Jan,

maske sure DLO is off. If it is still slow I recommend contacting Canon support. Tell them exactly how many seconds it takes to a render a RAW file and tell them the steps you have already taken. They may be able to figure what's wrong with your system

best

Sep 18, 2016 at 01:06 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DPP 4 soooo slow. Help?

I use the lens optimizer on a per-image basis. The software one, not in-camera which does slow the body down to a crawl, it seems.

edit - I have to add that it takes a few seconds to process the image after I click the box. Maybe 3-5 seconds, I haven't timed it.

Edited on Sep 18, 2016 at 02:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2016 at 02:20 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.