Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

skyraider6
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Updated

Kathy (Breakthrough Photography)
Feb 9, 11:44

We project the X4-CPL-95mm to ship mid-late March.
We understand if this order is time sensitive and would be happy to refund your order.
Yours,
Kathy

Feb 09, 2016 at 03:01 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Still waiting for my 105mm Circular Polarizer.....

Feb 09, 2016 at 04:21 PM
photoelectric
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Finally opened my 67mm X4 polarizer. Build quality = top notch, as far as I can tell. The knurled edges are super nice. The rotation is well dampened. I love how thin the frame is. Coating seems uniform.

Only just started testing it 20 min ago, but here are a couple of sample photos for now:
(Preset white balance to check color shift, preset ISO of 800 and aperture of f/2.8. Resized to 1400 pixels. Going to do a better comparison with a Color Checker Passport soon).

Between the two images, shutter speed went from 1/30s to 1/15s.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:19 PM
photoelectric
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Ok, here's one with a Color Checker, if anyone feels like playing with them. Same settings as above, preset white balance, ISO 800, aperture f/2.8, variable shutter speed.

The first photo is after setting white balance off the gray card in the color checker, no filter at all. Shutter speed 1/80s.

The second and third photos are with the X4 CPL filter. Since most of the light was from the ceiling, there's not much polarization happening here, and shutter speed varied between 1/40s and 1/30s.

Fourth photo has B+W KSM MRC circular polarizer (non HT). I see a definite color shift with that one. Shutter speed hovered around 1/25s for majority of test photos with this filter (8/10).

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

I received a 46mm and 58mm about a week or so ago... Have been busy and just opened the 46mm right now. Looks OK. I rarely use filters but have been on the lookout for a decent polarizer. I decided to try these due to the great reviews of their NDs and seemingly reasonable pricing with the Kickstarter offer. I am glad they decided to offer something for us RF shooters. Would have liked a 55mm for my 90 Cron, but apparently I'm one of the very few who shoot with anything 55mm threaded. Got the 58mm instead and will adapt it to the 90 and also the 180/3.4 (60mm thread).

Next up is to get some of their NDs once they offer them in RF sizes (apparently they plan to do so). Wish they'd offer custom sizes too, like Series VIII for one of my M lenses. Got a 2-stop B+W ND for that one when they were actually in stock and discounted at B&H, but it has noticeably annoying yellow/green shift. Sure, correctable. But it's also a very difficult to clean filter... And I would have preferred three stops.

Edit: A few thoughts about the 46mm X4:

Rotation in-hand feels good. Mounted on a lens, I do notice slight unevenness (of the 46mm filter - haven't yet opened the 58mm) that feels like a few miniature ball bearings or something slightly gritty catching the rotation. It's absolutely nothing serious. Just not perfectly consistent. Front ring can move side to side slightly if so manipulated. Again, I don't think it's a problem. Front threads are deep enough for me to attach screw-in lens hoods that I prefer over the Leica hoods on some of my lenses, but not surprisingly, does result in some vignetting.

Filter is too wide to allow use of the Leica-supplied hoods for the 28 Cron (v1) and 21 SEM. Perhaps a pain for storage (i.e. in the camera bag if I want to keep the X4 mounted), but to actually manipulate the filter, it would be necessary to remove the hood anyway, so in practical use, it's not a big deal, other than losing the ability to block unwanted direct light. The filter ring of the 50 Lux ASPH is a lot thicker than the other Leica lenses I have in 46mm filter thread. As a result, the X4 doesn't 'overhang' the barrel and allows the built-in sliding hood to move properly. Downside is that the X4's very thin knurled ring that threads into the lens is very difficult to directly grasp, making filter mounting and removal a lot more difficult. Basically have to push down on the front of the filter while turning it to use friction to eventually get it on all the way, with some use of fingernails to barely grasp the mounting ring's knurls. Removal is also more tedious than I'd like. But I guess with it being a brass filter ring there shouldn't be a problem of binding in the field.

I did a few test shots and polarization works, as expected. Haven't run any with/without tests for changes in sharpness or WB, etc... in part because it's -20C right now, and windy. Therefore not much fun to stand outside for a rather dull test.

Feb 13, 2016 at 02:01 PM
hmetcalfe
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Has anyone had trouble fitting the Canon lens hood on with the X4-CPL attached?

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.