Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

supposedly on Saturday i will receive one of the first BT X4 CPLs off their line. this is being shipped out of of places, Austin Texas. if it is as good as their ND filters have turned ou to be, and they are well made, it be the best i will have worked with. it seems the American Cottage industry is alive and well. purchased the 82mm

Dec 30, 2015 at 08:16 PM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Fingers-crossed on a great CPL. I'm probably at the end of the production shipping list--- 105mm.

Dec 31, 2015 at 09:40 AM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Got the same email on my 82mm and can't wait.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

I was a bit late in subscribing to their offering, and so far have not received any news of a shipment on the 82mm and 77mm polarizers I paid for. It is great news that they are starting to ship, and I too am hopeful that their product is top quality. Besides the optical side, which is important, I also like the idea of a polarizer that stays very easy to rotate throughout its life.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

it seems that there was no mail delivery this past Saturday at all so Monday it is.

Jan 03, 2016 at 06:17 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

I got mail, just not the filter, hoping for Monday as well.

Jan 04, 2016 at 06:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

picked up the filter today from the post office. would have had it yesterday but my regular carrier was on his day off and they couldn't get a sub. so I got no mail at all. so much for the mail must go through.

it is a considerably brighter optical setup (less light loss due to more modern foils) similar to my Tiffen Digital HT but considerably higher the my previous B+W. slightly more neutral grey when set down on a white background. the mechanical action is well damped and smooth. mine currently is mounted on a 77-82mm step ring for most use. using this filter with a 72-77 and 77-82 step up stacked on my Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 I get 0 vignette.

stated light loss at sea level at minimum pol is 0.7 stops 1.7 stops at max pol.

will play with later.

Jan 05, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Mine came yesterday and have not had a chance to test it yet. I can say the fit and finish are excellent as well as the movement and overall feel. I have high hopes.

Jan 05, 2016 at 07:18 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

I'm not in a hurry, one of the first but went with 72mm so I'll be waiting.

Jan 05, 2016 at 08:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

mine will get a test in Ireland next week hoping

i chose the 82 as it is my largest lens front end and step it down to fit everything else that i would use this filter on which is 77 and 72.

Jan 05, 2016 at 09:16 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

The only real complaint I have is the packaging (I had the same complaint about the older BP filters that I have as well). The cardboard box needs some cutouts so that you can separate the top from the bottom. Only a one-time thing for each filter, but it is annoying.

Jan 07, 2016 at 12:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

it was an intelligence/inventiveness test. opening it in minimal time showed your ability to work under adverse conditions. and in the end you did get a nice prize

Jan 07, 2016 at 01:36 PM
photoelectric
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

My X4 CPL has arrived finally. Have yet to open the box (lots to do today), but it arrived in perfect condition despite USPS chewing through the bubble envelope, such that the enclosed letter and photograph are all mangled I've been working on selling my B+W KSM F-Pro CPL, but since I still have it, I might do some comparison tests.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good slim step-up ring like 62-67mm? I've been looking at a Sensei PRO version from B&H. Don't think that one is slim, however, looks to be regular size.

Jan 30, 2016 at 01:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

How is the glass multi-coating? I was less than impressed with a previous filter.

EBH

Jan 30, 2016 at 02:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

very good. actually on all their X3 and the one it extremely good.

less impressed? in what way?

I have a few UV's X3
a 6 stop ND X3
a 10 stop ND X3
and the X4 CPL.

Jan 30, 2016 at 03:20 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

EB-1 wrote:
How is the glass multi-coating? I was less than impressed with a previous filter.

EBH

All X3/X4 BP filters have double-sided MC with water-repellent (WR) coatings. B+W nano has only on the front for WR. I did some tests, and X3 UV BP has the least amount of flares compared to Hoya HD2 and B+W nano, Zeiss is just as good but has no WR.

Jan 30, 2016 at 03:31 PM
shutchinson

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

photoelectric wrote:
My X4 CPL has arrived finally. Have yet to open the box (lots to do today), but it arrived in perfect condition

Got mine yesterday. Besides being busy as well...a severe thunderstorm decided to make its way through today, so I may get to use later this week, or this weekend. Haven't opened mine yet either, but might open it tonight just to have a look.

And I also received a 77-82mm brass step up ring I will try out. Had to satisfy my curiosity. Will probably end up getting a second X4 CPL in 77mm though.

Feb 02, 2016 at 05:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

Is there any idea of when they will be for sale at BH or other normal stores, etc.?

EBH

Feb 02, 2016 at 10:10 PM
skyraider6
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

I expected to receive my 95mm X4 CPL about 6 weeks ago however there were some packaging issues that needed to be resolved first.

I'm thinking both the 95 and 105mm filters were both involved in that issue. Has anyone received their X4 filter in either of those two sizes yet?

Edited on Feb 09, 2016 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2016 at 02:25 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Breakthrough Photography X4 CPL.

I received my 77mm X4 last week and gave it a test drive over the weekend. No complaints so far.

Feb 09, 2016 at 02:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.