New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

Still learning and playing with Photoshop CC, went into the old files and dug up one of my favorite to see if I could pull anymore detail out of the back lit people. I was surprised at the amount that was present.

I went for an old look process, in retrospect I should have stopped down some more.

This was an interesting place it is on the grounds of the actual fort and the original canons were fished out of the river not too long ago, I don't think anymore than 30 years at the most. This was a fun time because they did night fire of the canons, not as happy with those results.

Well let me know what you think, could have done differently.

Thanks for looking

Walt

Confederate Formation

Dec 30, 2015 at 06:26 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

Walter,

Interesting image. To my eye it looks a bit oversharpened, and the vignette seems a bit heavy-handed. Maybe a sepia tone would work better than b/w? The only other nit I have is that the line ends on the RHS of the frame but not on the left. With the right-most person in the line partially hidden behind leaves, and the cannon carriage on the RHS is only partly there, the image might support a crop so that the end of the line doesn't show, which would give it a little more symmetry and perhaps encourage the feeling that the line is very long.

You mentioned other images with the cannons...I'd like to see one of those too. Must have been fun to be there. Love the tents in the background.

These are just my two cents.
keith

Dec 30, 2015 at 06:38 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

beanpkk wrote:
Walter,

Interesting image. To my eye it looks a bit oversharpened, and the vignette seems a bit heavy-handed. Maybe a sepia tone would work better than b/w? The only other nit I have is that the line ends on the RHS of the frame but not on the left. With the right-most person in the line partially hidden behind leaves, and the cannon carriage on the RHS is only partly there, the image might support a crop so that the end of the line doesn't show, which would give it a little more symmetry and perhaps encourage the feeling that the
...Show more

Thanks Kieth for commenting, I see what you mean about the right side of the frame. I wasn't sure what would be thought of sepia, that is what I originally had it in. Second guessed myself out of it I also lightened the vignette a little. Good points.

The night fire shot I was pushing my camera pretty heavy at 6400 ISO, so the shot has some noise. Cleaned some up in LR. The second canon was fun because all the accoutrements present.

Thanks for looking.

Walt

Dec 30, 2015 at 07:44 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

Walter,

I really like the edits...it looks like the line goes on forever, and I like the lighter vignette. This looks to me like something a period photographer might have shot.

In the night fire cannon image I hope you were wearing earplugs! I'm a little bothered by what looks like the handlebars of a chopper in the upper smoke -- can't quite imagine what that is. I agree with you on the last one....it's nice to see the seldom-seen tools. Imagine fighting a battle using those things.

Thanks for posting,
keith

Dec 30, 2015 at 07:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

I like the night fire shot and the canon in the last.

Dec 30, 2015 at 08:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

All good on my phone.

Dec 30, 2015 at 08:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

Fun event.
I think you should go for a more distressed, aged look to the processing. Vignette is a bit heavy but I think has a bit of period feel.
I would definitely reduce the crisp sharpening on the men.

Here is a quick rework to distress the image a bit. Still would be better if I could have more effectively reduced the sharpening.

Scott

Dec 31, 2015 at 09:59 AM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

beanpkk wrote:
Walter,

I really like the edits...it looks like the line goes on forever, and I like the lighter vignette. This looks to me like something a period photographer might have shot.

In the night fire cannon image I hope you were wearing earplugs! I'm a little bothered by what looks like the handlebars of a chopper in the upper smoke -- can't quite imagine what that is. I agree with you on the last one....it's nice to see the seldom-seen tools. Imagine fighting a battle using those things.

Thanks for posting,
keith

Keith I think I was wearing earplugs usually take them with me. The smoke and sparks coming out of the touch hole on the cannon look different but correct. No I can't imagine the carnage in the period of fighting, sad to think about.

Glad you liked them

Walt

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:27 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

ben egbert wrote:
I like the night fire shot and the canon in the last.

Thank you Ben, I would like to go too more night fire events. Missed this event this year, forgot about it till it was too late.

Walt

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

RustyBug wrote:
All good on my phone.

Thanks Kent it's been a fun play.

Walt

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
WalterF
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fort Branch Re-enactment Civil War

sbeme wrote:
Fun event.
I think you should go for a more distressed, aged look to the processing. Vignette is a bit heavy but I think has a bit of period feel.
I would definitely reduce the crisp sharpening on the men.

Here is a quick rework to distress the image a bit. Still would be better if I could have more effectively reduced the sharpening.

Scott

Scott that is the fun thing with this image many ways to go. I worked the image for a more distressed feel and reduced the sharpness quite a bit. Interesting how it has progressed to more processed.

Thanks for commenting

Walt

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.