Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

alpental

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

Hey guys,

I own an L-Bracket but it's made by Neewer. I see RRS all the time on B&S but those go for a lot more. As someone who owns a $30 bracket, I'm just wondering if someone can explain the difference in price between the two. Is the quality of RRS that much better?

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:47 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

It depends. Quality control is probably the biggest difference between a Neewer and a RRS or Kirk bracket. Quality of materials, more exacting machining with tighter tolerances, that ensures proper fit in any quality tripod head fitted with an Arca Swiss style clamp. I have an off-brand plate for my 70-200 that I had to add gaffers tape to because the dovetail wasn't machined right and it would constantly slip, which lead to a lack of confidence in that piece of gear, so I spent a little more, got the RRS plate, and no longer worry about my $1500 lens slipping out of the clamp and onto the ground.

Besides all that, if your bracket is snug and you feel comfortable with it, then you saved yourself some dough.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:57 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

I have bought two Sunway L brackets for my 6 D/BG-E13 and neither of them fit. On the other hand I bought a used Kirk for 60D combo worked great. Product consistency is the primary different I see.

Anyone with used quality L for 6D let me know!

J. R.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:27 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

One thing to be aware of, I can't say about Neewar specifically, but many of these are not even actually machined but Waterjet or Cast, which is not going to be nearly as consistent / well-fitting OR nearly as strong (Gitzo tripod platforms and Manfrotto everything are also cast, so it's not just cheapo brands that take the easy way out).

Also, many of the cheapo brands take the stuff that's actually designed and prototyped (by FAR the most expensive part) by the "real" brands, reverse engineer it or flat-out steal blueprints, and skip straight to manufacturing. Letus had problem with that in China a few years back. Also, these companies are contract manufacturers who make their real money building things for other companies and these brackets and other parts (half of which are stolen or leftovers from their clients) are just a side business, so they're being sold at an unreasonably tiny margin compared to a company like RRS that actually has to stay in business on brackets and such which is a very small niche market. Both of those points answer the question "why does this version cost so much more."

Finally, there is the consistency/tolerance. Same thing with lens adapters. Your chances of having to send back three before you get one that fits right are drastically lower.

Also, depending on your camera, some of the newest RRS ones have some incredibly smart features (built in allen wrench slot with a magnet to hold it, the newest A7 II plate even allows you to reposition the camera's battery door). And even without that they're generally designed for better fits than anyone else (even Kirk to a small degree, IMHO).

Dec 29, 2015 at 03:13 AM
danh920
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

biggest thing i noticed is that the sunwayfoto plate on my d700 did not work with my RRS lever clamp, if I used a screw clamp it would have made no difference. I do believe that the rrs lr2 clamps have fixed this.

Dec 29, 2015 at 08:31 AM
alpental

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

Got it! Thanks guys! Really... interesting... stuff

Dec 29, 2015 at 08:34 AM
wnichols
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

Like the others said, mainly a quality issue. I've used both RRS & now have a Neewer and I'm quite happy with it. It fits as good as my previous RRS brackets, so as long as it doesn't snap in half I saved some $.

Dec 29, 2015 at 09:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

it really isn't just a quality issue. it has to do with, for the most part, an optimized design. RRS isn't perfect all of the time but I will go there first for my needs as they arise. they do their best to design a product that will function well. they are usually the first out the door with new tools and then weeks later others pretty similar tend to show up. they also offer a wider variety too.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:01 AM
koban

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

I have a third party L bracket and Markins L bracket for the Sony a7r II. Both for testing. I bought the third party going to return the Markins. I experienced no difference in quality. I still have an Markins for the Fujifilm X T1.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

Well..... I had an RRS L-plate for my Sony A6000. There was an awful lot of play in it - would droop considerably when released, and that was with light lenses. The folks at RRS had no ideas, and I finally concluded that, due to the narrow bottom plate and plastic body of the A6000, the flex was inevitable. Later on I came across a Sunwayfoto L-plate and decided to try it. Guess what - no wobble - much better fit. On the other hand, the vertical part of the bracket isn't perfectly square. It's a 2-piece design and the screw holes aren't perfectly aligned, so the vertical piece leans forward a tiny bit. Doesn't matter for my use, but is annoying. Still that's the lesser of evils and I'll put up with it for the more solid fit. I also have a Sunwayfoto generic L-plate that I've used on a 60D & D7000 and it's pretty much perfect. I've had a number of other RRS plates over the years and the A6000 one is the only one I've been unhappy with. The others have all been perfect - as they should be for the price.
So I guess the short answer is the same as most short answers - "It depends."

Edited on Dec 30, 2015 at 09:33 AM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Evangelos Makris
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L-Brackets – what's the difference in quality?

I use a Sunwayfoto for my 6d and it is a perfect fit.

Dec 29, 2015 at 01:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.