New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Jefferson Tree

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jefferson Tree

On the front lawn of Monticello, a foggy day in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Black and White or color? Your preferences and suggestions appreciated.

Steve

© eeneryma 2015

Jefferson Tree B&W

© eeneryma 2015

Jefferson Tree color

Dec 28, 2015 at 05:56 PM
WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jefferson Tree

I prefer the BW one, but I lean towards BW.

Wish I could help you on processing but I struggle in that area.

Walt

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:10 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jefferson Tree

On second thought, maybe stronger contrast on the black and white?

© eeneryma 2015

Jefferson Tree black and white

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:10 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jefferson Tree

WalterF wrote:
I prefer the BW one, but I lean towards BW.

Wish I could help you on processing but I struggle in that area.

Walt

Thanks Walt. By the way, love your station photo.

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:12 PM
JamesNH

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jefferson Tree

Hi Steve,
I agree with Walt - BW is better. I see the photo mainly about patterns and textures so for me BW is the clear choice. I think it could could use a healthy dose of contrast - stronger white and black points but great subject and nicely framed.

Jim

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jefferson Tree

I am wanting the tree without the foreground brush and if possible, the entire tree.

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:26 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jefferson Tree

JamesNH wrote:
Hi Steve,
I agree with Walt - BW is better. I see the photo mainly about patterns and textures so for me BW is the clear choice. I think it could could use a healthy dose of contrast - stronger white and black points but great subject and nicely framed.

Jim

Hi Jim, and appreciate your direction. Here's another possibility, even more contrast.

Steve

© eeneryma 2015

Jefferson Tree even more contrast

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:31 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jefferson Tree

ben egbert wrote:
I am wanting the tree without the foreground brush and if possible, the entire tree.

Thanks Ben. I worked the tree a little, so here's a closeup take. More a silhouette with this take and silver effex pro processing.

© eeneryma 2015

Jeff Tree closeup

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jefferson Tree

There sure is a lot of iterations of just this one tree. While it's not uncommon at all to post a shot, and then make some modifications based on suggestions I question what kind of vision you had as an artist that it has changed so many times from the initial post?

Again, nothing wrong with making a change, but for me, to make this many tells me that as an artist you shot a tree without a clear vision of what it was you were shooting or how you wanted that vision to be carried out.

As for your versions, your first edit to the B&W to me is the strongest.

Jim

PS. Please be aware with this cross posted in the Landscape and Critique Forum that we only allow a maximum of 5 photos per thread in the Landscape Forum.

Dec 28, 2015 at 07:21 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jefferson Tree

Sorry, Steve. This one doesn't work for me. It comes across just as a tangled mess.
I prefer the color for some separation of elements, and I get the more contrasty reworks as playing on a kind of ominous look. But still...

Scott

Dec 28, 2015 at 08:29 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jefferson Tree

JimFox wrote:
There sure is a lot of iterations of just this one tree. While it's not uncommon at all to post a shot, and then make some modifications based on suggestions I question what kind of vision you had as an artist that it has changed so many times from the initial post?

Again, nothing wrong with making a change, but for me, to make this many tells me that as an artist you shot a tree without a clear vision of what it was you were shooting or how you wanted that vision to be carried out.

As for your versions, your
...Show more

Hi Jim, this is the first time that I've posted to the landscape forum, so thank you for advising me of the rules. I most commonly post to the photo critique forum where very often refining an image is a process, guided by many of the helpful experts here. As you may have surmised, I'm more of a novice when it comes to landscape photography, with my principle area of interest being street photography. I appreciate your suggestion about putting more critical thought into an image before posting on landscape.

Dec 28, 2015 at 08:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.