New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

JamesNH

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Greetings All,

Had the good fortune of strangely warm weather up here in the North East and had the chance to explore one of my favorite spots while visiting family for the holiday.

Would love to hear your thoughts / suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

Dec 28, 2015 at 05:18 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

I know it is just an issue of personal taste, but I don't like clutter. For me this would be much better with a crop at the top just above the water and a crop at the bottom just above the log on the left side. Otherwise, nicely done. I like the choice of shutter speed. Silky but not overdone.

Dec 28, 2015 at 05:57 PM
JamesNH

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the feedback - agreed about the clutter, especially at the bottom. Currently stuck in keeping things to standard frame size proportions - probably should give up on that to make it better. I do kind of like how the mossy rocks in the upper left start to set up the diagonals but the trees and junk behind those rocks are less than great.

Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated.
Jim

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

I agree with Jim, but to add one more item, I would like to see the right side of the stream (right center) and not cut off. You have a nice S curve but it is truncated.

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:28 PM
JamesNH

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Thanks Ben and agreed - missed the framing on that one - needed to be a bit wider.
Best,
Jim

Dec 28, 2015 at 06:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

I'm with Jim about the clutter and crop. Are you planning to frame and use standard sizes? Otherwise crop for aesthetics.
I think the greens are a bit too intense, Day-Glo
Scott

Dec 28, 2015 at 08:27 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Jim,

+1 @ what others have already said about the cropping and the greens. Below is a quick rework to give you an idea about how that might look.

Cheers!

Jeff

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Much of the character of the water is lost with the tighter crop. I sometimes remove limbs and stuff in such scenes. It's not like they are permanent parts of the scene, they will wash downstream after the next storm. As an old time fly fisherman, I know how fast a stream changes character.

The forest background above the falls is worth cropping, maybe just above the top water edge. Then I would have removed that dead tree (bottom left) and the loose branches (upper left). If the tree is still rooted, I would just break off the branches or clone them out. The trunk is not offensive. You could also clone out twigs.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Here is my take on it. This seems to be a vertical scene as water features often are. I cloned out some of the clutter and cropped the top. It became to squarish for me so I added enough canvas to get back to 4x5 aspect and used free transform to regain some height.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM
JamesNH

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mill Brook - Lenox, Ma

Thanks Ben and others all good advice - your feedback and advise is much appreciated. I found another shot from the same day that may be better as it addresses many of the comments that you have all made. I'll post it once I have a few minutes to process it.

Thanks again,
Jim

Dec 29, 2015 at 01:00 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.