New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D3X questions

jah2266
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3X questions

I know lots have spoken of leaving the D3X once the D810 came out.
My question is if the files from the D3X are similar in color/tone and process the same
as D3/D700 files? I find that with each new generation of cameras the sensors change quite a bit.
With Canon, each new generation I find less and less appealing, sure high ISO is much better but there
seems to be something more plastic with the output. Ive been playing with a D3/D700 files for a while and love them, just curious how the compare to the files from the D3X monster.
I know many will say D810 is the way to go but curious about that old body.
Thanks for any imput.

Dec 28, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3X questions

I've owned both a D3 and a D3x and here's what I can recall...

It seems like the files are similar between the two, but not identical as far as color goes. I actually like the D3x files a bit better, although I like the D8xx series even more. I'd say the D3 and D3x are closer in the way the files look than the D3 and the D810 are.

That said, I had two D3x bodies and loved them - but I would never touch them again after using the 8xx series. I love the pro body, but there is something really special about that D8xx sensor IMO.

Now a D5x...

Dec 28, 2015 at 03:39 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3X questions

A lot depends on what you shoot primarily, but I've seen some beautiful images at lower ISO's from the D3X. If it was all about resolution I'd take the D810. For me however, there are a lot more advantages to using as Pro body. I'll take the speed, shutter life, and build quality of my D3's over any consumer body today in comparison. The rear LCD and dual CF slots are worth it alone.

Edited on Dec 28, 2015 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2015 at 04:25 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3X questions

My suggestion is to rent a D3X and D810 and judge it that way. For me, I have used the D800 and D810 extensively and still stuck to my D3X. I like the tones and colors better on the D3X. It really depends on your taste. If the D5X is out, then I might let my D3X rest.

Dec 28, 2015 at 04:28 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3X questions

If you use something like a Colorchecker Passport, you can make custom profiles with perfect color and your files will look pretty well the same across cameras and across brands.

Dec 28, 2015 at 09:16 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3X questions

I acquired a refurb D3X last year, and it simultaneously retired my D300 and Canon 1Ds classic. The D3X does not feel "old" in the slightest, being snappy to operate and generating 24M pixels both gorgeous and antialiased. If you want a vertical grip, then the inbuilt design of a single-digit body is the most compact, structurally rigid and weatherproof. The big EL4a battery yields 4000+ exposures CIPA. As a studio shooter, I appreciate the additional LCD and controls. The lack of video support is another benefit. While pretty heavy, the large grips give confidence when handling bulky lenses.

Shoot from two days ago.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:58 PM
gloman

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3X questions

I have both, the D3X and the 810, (also the D4S and 750) and I still use and love the D3X and have no plans to get rid of it. I delivers a special image. It's my go-to for studio shooting, nails the skin tones and of course is fabulous for landscape - at low ISO it competes with the newer bodies.
If you get a good price on a low mileage body, you'll not be disappointed.
glo

Dec 29, 2015 at 09:43 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3X questions

Have you spent much time with D800/D810 files?

I ask only because I never saw anything very special about the D3/D700 files and the D800/810 are a real step up.

Dec 31, 2015 at 07:21 AM
eesterle

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3X questions

gloman wrote:
I have both, the D3X and the 810, (also the D4S and 750) and I still use and love the D3X and have no plans to get rid of it. I delivers a special image. It's my go-to for studio shooting, nails the skin tones and of course is fabulous for landscape - at low ISO it competes with the newer bodies.
If you get a good price on a low mileage body, you'll not be disappointed.
glo

I completely agree! D3X is still competitive at low ISO to this day! I loved the D3X and I made the mistake of selling it to get the D810, a decision I regretted. Don't get me wrong, the D810 is a great camera, but there is something special about the D3X. The D3X still focuses better than the D800/E. I primarily use my D4S now and am planning my move to medium format for everything not action, sports, wildlife, etc... I have tried to convince myself to shoot half bodies like the D800/E/810, but I cannot. I absolutely hate them from an ergonomic perspective. I need a full body with an integrated grip and controls for portrait orientation shooting. They simply feel more natural in my hands. As far as sensor output, I thought the Sony sensors in the D3X and D810 were fairly similar, with skin tones favoring the D3X.

Jan 01, 2016 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.