Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Question about photostacking small insects

tevans9129

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about photostacking small insects

Hi All, I am new here and new to trying to photograph macro shots of small creatures. I have used Zerene software for stationary objects but how in creation do you folks get 100 plus frames of a fly, a bee etc.? I sure would appreciate if you could direct me to some sources that would help me out. Thanks.

BTW, many awesome images by those that post in this group.

Dec 28, 2015 at 02:14 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about photostacking small insects

tevans9129 wrote:
Hi All, I am new here and new to trying to photograph macro shots of small creatures. I have used Zerene software for stationary objects but how in creation do you folks get 100 plus frames of a fly, a bee etc.? I sure would appreciate if you could direct me to some sources that would help me out. Thanks.

Most stacks with high magnification and around 100 shots in the stack are taken of dead insects. I have seen stacks up to about 50 shots taken of live but early morning bugs that have not warmed up yet.
I take stacks of up to say 5 shots of small live bugs - they will sometimes stay still long enough

Brian V.

Dec 28, 2015 at 03:10 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about photostacking small insects

tevans9129 wrote:

Only a minority of images posted here are stacks. Many are singles frames at f11 to f16.

Harold

Dec 29, 2015 at 03:38 AM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about photostacking small insects

What Brian said or you put the critter in the freezer for a few minutes. Do not kill it.
But I can't see why would you take 100 frames of a fly? 100 frames means extremely high magnification and you'd be able to see only a very small section of a wing or an antenna or something else but not the whole thing.
Unless you're going for a pano.

Dec 29, 2015 at 01:38 PM
tevans9129

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about photostacking small insects

Thanks for all of the comments. I have seen images of very small critters with all parts in focus with high magnification and thought it would be interesting trying to photograph something like that. I have used stacking with flowers and plants and like the results. I suppose I look at critters as being a challenge.

Dec 29, 2015 at 09:48 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.