Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Zerga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

I got i7-4930 32GB 480SSD raid 0 which should still be enough but it takes a few seconds to process those 43MP files from A7R2.

Anyone has the latest and greatest setup and can run a small test for me so I know if it's time to upgrade if there's significant difference?

Dec 26, 2015 at 10:31 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Depending on your 'processing'?

Is it CPU intensive? GPU, or memory. Just one file or many effected by SSD speed?

Are the filters you're using CPU or GPU assist?

There are certainly faster CPUs out there, but do you need more cores or more frequency?
There are probably newer GPUs out if you need (gain benefit) from that.
More memory could certainly be an improvement while working with files larger than available.
And newer SSDs with NVMe are 2-3x faster than what we think is fast...again...if needed.

Dec 27, 2015 at 01:31 AM
Zerga
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Basic editing in ACR, just applying contrast, clarity, etc. and opening 10-15 files in PS takes 30-40 sec to open.. I'm wondering if there's anything that would cut that time in half.. I tried couple of my friends ( little better specs then what I have ) and the improvement is 3-4 sec. which is not much..

Dec 27, 2015 at 01:59 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Why are you needing to open 10-15 files in PS? Cull in a piece of software that uses instant previews like photomechanic then process in a workflow tool like LR (with smart previews).

No PC upgrade over what you have is going to cut that time even close to half.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:36 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Mark_L wrote:
Why are you needing to open 10-15 files in PS? Cull in a piece of software that uses instant previews like photomechanic then process in a workflow tool like LR (with smart previews).

No PC upgrade over what you have is going to cut that time even close to half.

Layering images in PS is why I need many files open at once.

While a more powerful processor may help slightly, I doubt you will see massive speed increases these days as the improvements are much more incremental.

Dec 31, 2015 at 02:41 PM
JohnPinette

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Zerga wrote:
I got i7-4930 32GB 480SSD raid 0 which should still be enough but it takes a few seconds to process those 43MP files from A7R2.

Anyone has the latest and greatest setup and can run a small test for me so I know if it's time to upgrade if there's significant difference?

By far the biggest improvement in speed opening and processing files was by using a RAM disk. I use the one here: http://www.superspeed.com/ but I think there are others you can get for free/shareware. I've used it on my dedicated photoshop system for years. You can use their trial version to see if the improvement is there for you on your system.

I have 32GB of RAM of which 16GB is dedicated to a RAM disk, as well as a SSD disk. The speed improvement using the RAM disk over the SSD is substantial.

John

Jan 05, 2016 at 01:50 PM
the888account
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

The biggest single improvement I've found was to add an SSD to my laptop.

(I7, 16gb RAM, 2Gb GPU)

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:46 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it time to build a new PC ?

Zerga wrote:
Basic editing in ACR, just applying contrast, clarity, etc. and opening 10-15 files in PS takes 30-40 sec to open.. I'm wondering if there's anything that would cut that time in half.. I tried couple of my friends ( little better specs then what I have ) and the improvement is 3-4 sec. which is not much..

Two different areas there.

"Basic editing in ACR, just applying contrast, clarity, etc"-- That's CPU and GPU (and GPU RAM), depending on which filters you're using, as well as how much RAM you've allowed PS to use to hold images. Check PS documentation to determine whether each filter/process you're using relies on the CPU or GPU. Do you have at least 16 gigs of RAM? Then make sure you've allowed PS to reserve as much as it wants and still leave enough for the OS to operate in the background.

If you have 32 gigs of RAM, setting half of it as a ramdrive and using that for scratch will do a lot--but be sure that's where your bottleneck is. Check process monitors while working to see if it's your drive activity (particularly to the scratch drive) or CPU activity that's maxes out.

"opening 10-15 files in PS takes 30-40 sec to open." The only way you're going to speed that up substantially is to have the images already loaded into some kind of RAM. You might ease the pain if your motherboard can take an m.2 SSD and then pre-load all the files you're going to need to that drive before you begin working (go eat a cookie while it's loading).

Feb 01, 2016 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.