Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

BokehBeauty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

Last time when I returned from a shooting by plane I had the strong desire to work with something less bulky than my MacBook 15" but still with enough screen space. Does any one feel the same and made a first move?

Dec 25, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

its probably too early to say but the possibility is its going to be a big ( ) thing in the future . it looks like Adobe have gone for it so it should be a good viable device in the near future . using the PENCIL obviously .
but you still working on a iPad so are tied how good apps like lightroom mobile and the other adobe stuff is for it . and also will have had to have synced stuff to it that you want to work on . (i still don't think you can work on genuine raw files easily)

there are other viable options now . the Surface Pro 4 looks a good option . the keyboard cover is much improved now and the pen stylus now works very well apparently . maybe not quite up there with the PENCIL but close .(but then apparently the pencil is only great using the apple apps at the moment . its not quite as good in the 3rd party apps as the are not optimised for it)
The drawback to the surface pro is its a windows machine but you can now run 2 systems along side each other and still have access to photoshop and lightroom

Dec 26, 2015 at 05:02 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

I want an iPad Pro SOOOO bad! I have tried this app on an iPad Air 2 and loved it! I can't wait to try it on a larger screen!

http://astropad.com/ipad-pro/

Dec 27, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
its probably too early to say but the possibility is its going to be a big ( ) thing in the future . it looks like Adobe have gone for it so it should be a good viable device in the near future . using the PENCIL obviously .
but you still working on a iPad so are tied how good apps like lightroom mobile and the other adobe stuff is for it . and also will have had to have synced stuff to it that you want to work on . (i still don't think you can work
...Show more

Ian is right in that the quality of the apps will determine the iPad Pro's viability as a primary image processing platform. For photography, I don't think the iPad Pro is quite there yet, but this could change very quickly if the apps improve (Pixelmator is a decent one, but still far short of PS, and I don't know much about what kind of DAM apps are available). There are already some pretty decent apps that allow layered editing of images, and some of the drawing and painting apps are incredible.

As for the iPad Pro, I was a skeptic on the product until I tried the Pencil. It lives up to the hype. It compares favorably to the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 stylus, and simply blows away the Surface Pro styluses (at least all of the nTrig-based tech that MS adopted after the Surface Pro 2). And because the iPad Pro is so much smaller and more power efficient than the Cintiq Companion, it is a much better mobile platform.

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM
alpental

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

ShotByTom wrote:
I want an iPad Pro SOOOO bad! I have tried this app on an iPad Air 2 and loved it! I can't wait to try it on a larger screen!

http://astropad.com/ipad-pro/

I didn't want an iPad Pro until I saw Astropad! I wonder what the majority of users are thinking... Is there any way it rivals Wacoms in the real world like they're claiming?

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:43 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

I have the Pro and the pencil. I got it specifically to try and use it for processing.

I also signed up for Adobe Cloud....got the first year at 20% discount on Cyber Monday.

Lightroom on the Pro is somewhat limited....I find myself going to Snapseed often to process photos. PS Express is going to be abandoned (conversation with Adobe support). LR ipad needs additional functionality in it to be really a good alternative.

Seems that if you want to process a photo with Cloud that you cant do it all via ipad, you need so use different programs to move it along....not my cup of tea really. There will be updates coming to LR but who knows when.

I think it is early but over time they will take advantage of the Pro's computing power.....I do like the ipencil. With the recent updates to many programs to use the ipencil it works as advertised. Again,m I think over time that the process will improve with better capability out of the programs.

I got the 128gb ipad Pro...and today I ordered ixpand 128gb drive that is supposed to make the file transfer to the ipad seamless....I will know in a week or so.....I do like the full size keyboard in the Pro, I didnt get the keyboard, I use the touch screen.

Dec 28, 2015 at 09:56 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

I have the Surface Pro 4 with LR6 and C1Pro installed. I imagine C1 Pro is better for travelling because you can save work as Sessions and then easily transfer to a desktop later on. For LR I presume it would be necessary to use different catalogs if you want to start doing pp while off-site and then continue on another computer later.

The Surface Pro is a great machine although I had problems initially because Windows 10 was updating automatically (you cant prevent this) and failing to delete earlier versions. After a week my 256g drive was down to 149! However a new Windows install seems to have sorted this but i cant say i was wildly happy to have to go through that rigmarole on a brand new devic.

Dec 30, 2015 at 07:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using iPad Pro for post processing?

waterden wrote:
I have the Surface Pro 4 with LR6 and C1Pro installed. I imagine C1 Pro is better for travelling because you can save work as Sessions and then easily transfer to a desktop later on. For LR I presume it would be necessary to use different catalogs if you want to start doing pp while off-site and then continue on another computer later.

The Surface Pro is a great machine although I had problems initially because Windows 10 was updating automatically (you cant prevent this) and failing to delete earlier versions. After a week my 256g drive was down to
...Show more

No you don't HAVE to run a separate catalogue . You can do and it's easy to import a catalogue into you main home one .
I use my main cat file by just copying it to a thumb drive . Along with the SMART PREVIEWS that I want to work on .

When back at home it's just a case of copying the LRCAT file back to my home machine and the launching LIGHTROOM

Since smart previews were brought in in LR5 it's made Lightroom a great mobile option

Dec 30, 2015 at 07:49 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.