Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mac Magic Trackpad 2 and or options.

KankRat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mac Magic Trackpad 2 and or options.

Noob Mac guy here.
Santa wife brought me this thing- with a gift receipt. I have not opened it yet. I played with it in the store and it's really cool for surfing around. I was kind of surprised that she got it for me, I did mention that thought it was cool but way too much money.
Will it work for photo editing? LR and PS?
I have to admit it's so sleek and beautiful, but the original Trackpad is going for half the cost of $130 for the #2 model.. The new one is cool but damn, that's not cheap. And inspire of it's coolness, I am not sure that I could completely part with a mouse.
I guess I am just too cheap, but kills me to pay top dollar for something just because it's new.
Right now I am leaning towards getting the old TP, and with the money saved upping my memory from 4 gigs to 16.

so does anybody have any opinions on the TP2, the TP1 or do you have any suggestions for a better device for use with LR. I realize that this would be subjective..

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mac Magic Trackpad 2 and or options.

I forgot to mention I tried the Mac mouse. it's too flat I like my regular mouse better. I never tried a tablet either that might be on the table.

Dec 25, 2015 at 01:02 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mac Magic Trackpad 2 and or options.

I don't have the trackpad 2 but I did just pickup the trackpad to go with my magic mouse and my wacom touch small . (i believe the trackpad 2 is better than the original)

my thoughts would be the TP2 isn't going to be an ideal use for P&P . its great for navigating around the screen and i have used my for a bit of photoshop brush work (but it only to black out some pricing on some promo posters) .

for photoshop you can't beat a wacom if your want a tablet . but the pen isn't for everything and you will still use a mouse/trackpad for a lot of navigating . the touch wacoms i quite good for that as they act as a trackpad if you use your finger . but are nowhere near as good as the apple trackpads (which are probably the best trackpad experience around)

as for the trackpad v magic mouse . i love my magic mouse (don't find it too flat ) . i got it with my iMac (my first mac experience) . at the time I discounted the trackpad as my experience with trackpads in windows laptops just put me off . but i recently picked up a macbook air and realised how good the apple trackpad experience was so I picked up a 2nd hand trackpad to use when the air is connected to a screen . I now also sometimes use it on my iMac .
if i was to choose just ONE between the magic mouse and the trackpad it would be the trackpad . the 2 even more so (although it is expensive) due to the extra size and the force touch , plus the easy charging and pairing (just connecting the cable to pair it is a brilliant idea)

so in reality all have their pluses and minuses and all make a good case for themselves , that having all 3 isn't a silly idea .

a note on a the wacoms . if your getting one for photo stuff then you really don't need bigger than the SMALL . the medium and large versions are better if you do a lot of art stuff . but go for one of the touch versions rather than just the pen version . it will save you from keeping going from mouse/trackpad to tablet . unless your happy navigating around your screen with a stylus

Dec 26, 2015 at 04:48 AM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mac Magic Trackpad 2 and or options.

Ian thanks. I went ahead and orders the old trackpad. It was only 60 bucks at OWC. i think I will give the mac mouse a try to see if I can get used to it. so I will have both. I bought the wireless keyboard on sale at OWC for 40 bucks. the stuff certainly looks nice.

Dec 27, 2015 at 01:05 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mac Magic Trackpad 2 and or options.

yeah the new stuff does look good . I like the charge by lightning cable and also the pair via lightning cable (I swap between my iMac and my AIR and it would make using the pad easier between both ) but they are pretty steep price wise so I wouldn't justify the cost . i certainly would think twice about buy-in a new keyboard and/or mouse 2 just to get the internal battery (although the old ones do eat through batteries . I have spare set of charged eneloop type bats ready to go in when needed . )

as you say they do look good (as do the old ones) which is part of having my iMac . but they also function really well . the magic mouse is the best mouse I've used it just feels (both in feel and function) so 'natural' . using a normal mouse on a win system now seem awkward . and the trackpad on my air was an instant like compared to the trackpad on my wife's yoga 13" (don't want to even discuss the pad on my old surface pro . I just had to add the desktop trackpad to the mix . found one in a local 2nd hand store for cheaps so it was a no brainier .

don't use my wacom touch much but when I do its the best tool for the job I'm doing .

Dec 27, 2015 at 02:02 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.