Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

I noticed that a bunch of Macphun's software is on sale at the moment. Are they worth buying? You guys got any suggestions on which ones are worth the money? Am I getting anything out of these software that I may not get out of Adobe Lightroom? Does Macphun's software work with RAW files and can it act as a plug-in for Lightroom? I have read good stuff about Macphun Tonality and that may be worth getting. Aurora HDR seems to have a lot of coverage lately as it's endorsed by Trey Ratcliff. Is that HDR software as good as what the hype say it is?

Dec 24, 2015 at 06:54 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

I can't answer all your questions and TBH I'm just getting used to the software since I bought the full suite (about 8-9 programs inc. 3rd party Resize Sense and Watermark Plus) for I think it was US$80. Helluva Black Monday (or is it Friday) bargain.

Tonality Pro is excellent though I've used Intensify and Noiseless the most. Noiseless is very good though you can't target specific areas you can target shadows or highlights. I like Intensify a lot too. Focus and Snapheal seem a bit gimmicky at first but after watching the Application Training videos you can see viable applications for them. And that's what I'd advise doing - watch their videos to see how the programs work and what they are capable of - you can find them on Youtube or go to their website for the links.

Yes, they work as Plug-ins in LR (I'm using LR5) and as standalone and yes they naturally work with RAW.

I haven't tried Aurora, it's very new, but as I use Photomatix Pro, and am very happy with it, I wouldn't bother to switch / buy Aurora.

Dec 24, 2015 at 09:01 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

Noiseless is quite good. Slowly moving up to my first choice for noise. Focus CK do much as all it seems to do is correct perspective. Tonality is nowhere close to SilverEFX for black and white conversion. I've found SnapHeal to leave lines on the resulting image. I don't care what they say about their new HDR app. Nothing beats Photomatix. IntensifyCK doesn't seem to be too much more than what you can do in Lr much less Ps.

I guess all of their apps offer a level of automation where the user doesn't need to make as many choices, but then also doesn't have as much control.

Something that profoundly irritates me is the each time I invoke any of their apps it phones home four (4), yeah four times before it will launch. I really dislike that intrusion as I've found no way to turn it off and no clue what they're collecting.

If you don't have any plugins, I'd suggest either Topaz which has several excellent tools or Nik though I don't know for sure what's happening with Nik since Goggle bought them.

Robert

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

I've been using Tonality Pro for about a year and like it a lot. Depending on the image, I can get something out of Silver Efex that I can't out of Tonality and vice versa. Often I try a B&W conversion with both and see which I like better.

I still prefer Color Efex over Intensify. Both can be heavy handed in the presets, and I only use a handful of favorite presets in each, then heavily dial them back so images don't look unnatural.

I have the rest of the suite because I got an upgrade deal but honestly haven't used the other programs. I've used Noiseware for years and have been satisfied with it, but maybe I need to try Noiseless.

I'm sure someone better than me can get the same look out of Photoshop, but I'm not bright enough to figure out how to get that extra punch of contrast in the right places without screwing up the rest of the image, so that's where the plug-ins are handy for me.

Can't comment on Aurora as I haven't tried it. I gave up on HDR a few years ago when I couldn't make anything look natural. Again, maybe it's time to try the new stuff.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

I found Intensify Pro (now IntensifyCK) invaluable with Aperture and LR, but find little need for it with Capture One Pro.

TonalityCK is very good; I haven't found a use for FocusCK or SnapHealCK, both of which I have.

Dec 24, 2015 at 03:43 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

OntheRez wrote:
Noiseless is quite good. Slowly moving up to my first choice for noise. Focus CK do much as all it seems to do is correct perspective. Tonality is nowhere close to SilverEFX for black and white conversion. I've found SnapHeal to leave lines on the resulting image. I don't care what they say about their new HDR app. Nothing beats Photomatix. IntensifyCK doesn't seem to be too much more than what you can do in Lr much less Ps.

I guess all of their apps offer a level of automation where the user doesn't need to make as many choices, but
...Show more

What do you mean by phoning home? You mean Macphun does a server authentication to prevent piracy?

Dec 24, 2015 at 08:19 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

I know of three reasons MacPhun CK phones home:
- License server (might not be done if not using the Pro/CK versions)
- Version checking
- Online help

I don't like phoning home for license authentication, either, but if you use something like LittleSnitch to block it, the plug-in(s) won't run.

Dec 24, 2015 at 08:49 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

OntheRez wrote:

Robert

Noiseless is actually more than quite good
Focus CK does a lot more that correct perspective. If can act more like a T/S or fast lens. Giving you a similar look to say an f1.4 shot or miniaturisation.
Intensify is quicker, and has a more intuitive workflow than LR, though LR (esp. using Pre-sets) remains my #1 work-flow. I do also like that with almost all of the MacPhun CK programs if you find you like a particular effect you've created, but it's a but over-powering, you can use the slider to pull back the effect to make it rather subtler.
Snapheal I haven't used yet - just run through the Training Video. However I think it may be a valuable addition for removing figures from shots quickly - though Affinity works very well for that too.
Completely agree on Photomatrix - great piece of software.
Tonality - Actually yes, IMHO, it is close to SilverEfex. I use SEPro2 but again find Tonality more intuitive and love the overall effects slider.

As with all software though, some people will have a preference for one and others for another, especially one you know and are used to using. What's important is that you can create the effect you are looking for and to that degree I think the CK Suite offers another good option. Ease of Use, Similar tools across different programs and

Another reason for me to buy it is that I'm looking to develop an alternative workflow to Adobe and their CC. I want standalone programs and with my earlier purchase of the superb Affinity to replace PS and now the MacPhun CK suite (currently used alongside LR) I'm almost there. It's interesting to note that Affinity, with it's latest update, can now offer a variety of RAW processing options on ingress.

I took this shot at dinner yesterday, pity about the directly overhead lights but that's usually what you get in restaurants ! The guy is a friend of my wife's, a very well known and affluent artist but rather shy. I smoothed his skin a tad first then used Tonality with a Film Texture overlaid and a vignette. Taken with a Sony A7r and Nikon 105/2.5 Ai-S, wide open, 1,000 ISO and 1/100.

Dec 25, 2015 at 03:33 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

lsquare wrote:
What do you mean by phoning home? You mean Macphun does a server authentication to prevent piracy?

Something that profoundly irritates me is the each time I invoke any of their apps it phones home four (4), yeah four times before it will launch. I really dislike that intrusion as I've found no way to turn it off and no clue what they're collecting. I guess I can understand registration checking but many apps don't seem to need it. As for version checking and help, those should both be user definable. I don't need them unless I ask.

Using Lil Snitch I tract every request in and out of my computers. Many are just probes to align advertising. Others? I don't know. The Internet is an ocean and not all the beasts are friendly. Many people just forge ahead and don't want to be bothered about such. I've been around the Internet long enough to know something about just how much information (yes google I'm pointing at you) is collected of users. Maybe I'm paranoid, but then there are good reasons to be so. No other application I have does near as much probing as McPhun. I've emailed them asking why with no answer. What's particularly galling is that even when I use their apps in immediate succession, if have to go thru the four answer dance.

Frogfish, I need to look at tonality again. I've had such good results from SilverEFX that I had no interest other than once brief foray. Focus does provide for things like a tilt-shift perspective, but I have a fine tilt-shift lens and use it when I need it. I do need to give Clarity another look as Lr's enhancement tools leave a lot to be desired.

I absolutely agree that different plugin suites can and will be preferred by different users. I have each of the big three on my machine and use the best out of each. And I'm absolutely with you on getting out from under Adobe's thumb. The latest upgrade to Affinity is very encouraging and I urge every Mac user to give it a try. I haven't given it a real work out yet because of the inertia of learning a new tool, but it looks so much more accessible and makes no pretense that it is anything other than a PHOTOGRAPHY tool, that I find it refreshing. Ps has become a kitchen sink with so much that can get in the way.

My biggest problem in getting away from Adobe is inertia (read laziness and deadlines and more important Lr - a program I basically hate - but can't find a replacement.

I do strongly suggest that people check out the trial version of each suite. I have McPhun, NIK, Topaz, and some ON1 on my machine. Each has something (generally more than one) that it does better than the others. I also vote with my dollars. If there is any offering other than Adobe (and the price is reasonable), I'll buy it and try it. All we can do to improve/change Adobe is vote with bucks. I'm a tiny speck in Adobe's metrics, but you do what you can - that is if you care.

I've gone on at length here in part to protest the intrusions of software into the innards of my device and also to suggest that the diversity of plugins is good. If you stick with just one set, you'll be all good as each does things that either can't be done in Lr or things that are quite complex in Ps.

End of my rant and a positive year to all of year and I hope we all have more light!

Robert

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

I bought the MacPhun Suite when it was on sale for a really low price and then added Noiseless as well. I use them once in a while but to be honest they are not much different then what LR can provide. I'm not sure I would buy it again knowing how little it ultimately affected my workflow. I've held off on buying other plugins as a result.

Dec 27, 2015 at 09:18 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Macphun software is worth buying?

Frogfish,

I have to eat my words I gave Intensify a real workout yesterday and have to agree that it is vastly superior to almost anything Lr can do (other than of course act as a DAM). It's ability to create layers (masks) is truly valuable and I was able to take an good shot of "Locomotive Rock" in hazy light, mid-afternoon and make it quite presentable. I'll be using it a lot more. (It doesn't have the select tools of Ps and it would be nice if brushes could be something other than round.)

One issue I'm having is that when I start any of the modules there is a "Update available" but by the time the plugin has completed creating its new file the update window is gone. Checked their web site and can't find updates. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Robert

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:53 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.