Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sigma dock with multiple cameras?

egd5
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma dock with multiple cameras?

I have a new to me 120-300 Sigma. I will mostly shoot it with an also new to me D7200. However I might want to use it occasionally on my D810. I've been reading about how much fine tuning you can do with the dock and I want one. However what I haven't found out for sure is, once you tune it with one camera what happens when you shoot with another camera? Can you tune it to each camera by using the custom setting switch, custom 1 for one camera, custom 2 for the other??

Also, what about with a tc? Does the camera/s and/or lens recognize when you have a tc on and change automatically for it? Or must you use the custom 1 and 2 setting for mounting a tc? And how does the AF fine tune of the camera play into the equation? I'm thinking that one would set that to zero and only use the dock--right? Thanks

Dec 23, 2015 at 05:09 PM
ImagePass

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma dock with multiple cameras?

With the dock, you’ll fine tune the lens ( not the camera) at several distances. ( and focal range for a zoom).

you make this work with the lens attached to one camera.

if you attach the lens to another camera and see that you need new settings, you have to do it directly in your camera.

so, to fine tune your lens, I think that it’s better to do it with your main (or best, according what you want) camera.

I have the Sigma 35 mm and 50 mm ART. I use both with a Nikon D800 or D810. I fine tuned both with the D800 and didn’t have to do anything on the D810.
hope it will help you
Fabien.

Dec 24, 2015 at 01:36 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma dock with multiple cameras?

OK, thanks. Assuming you have the lens set to one of the custom positions for the "tuned to" camera, do you leave it there or set it to off when you put the lens on the "untuned to" camera?

Dec 24, 2015 at 08:44 AM
ImagePass

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma dock with multiple cameras?

Excuse me, it’s not easy for me to explain properly because I’m not very good in your language, so I’m trying to do my best:
Once you have fine tuned your Sigma lens with your main camera, the parameters are only stored in the lens, via the dock. Those parameters are just valuable for the lens and will stay the same, whatever camera you will use afterward with that lens.
We assume that your main camera doesn’t need to be fine tuned, so you let the camera’s settings to “off” (or “0” if you have already used this function for other lenses).
now, if you want use your Sigma lens with your second camera, you do it directly. but, if necessary,( differences between cameras) you can still use the camera capability to fine tune that lenses. (This time, the parameters are stored in the camera for each lens you will fine tune).
Fabien.

Dec 26, 2015 at 01:27 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma dock with multiple cameras?

I understand you fine. That's the way I was hoping it would work. Thanks

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.