Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

ACP728

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

I have been talking back and forth with the folks at wedding wire for about the last year or so. They want me to have a paid listing. I know that if i book just one wedding from WW it will pay for itself and then some. I just don't know how likely it is to happen based on ho most brides find their photographer.

has anyone had good results with WW or the knot

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:25 AM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

They used to call me all the time. I finally kindly told them to never call me again, and that I will not be paying money to be listed by them (which is just my preference).

Wedding Wire is good for collecting reviews and feedback, but I don't know how much stock I would put into being listed by them. I feel your best best for a quality lead come from your past clients.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM
audiowebdude
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

Just cancelled mine this month

Friendly helpful staff but

Didn't work for me

Dec 23, 2015 at 04:45 PM
ACP728

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

I talked to a few brides (not mine) and they all said they started with weeding wire and/or the Knot but ultimately ended up going to a referral from someone they knew

Dec 23, 2015 at 05:09 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

For me was the biggest waste of money

Dec 23, 2015 at 08:47 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

ACP728 wrote:
I know that if i book just one wedding from WW it will pay for itself and then some.

I don't mean to jump in this thread critically, so forgive me if this comes off wrong. I did want to share my thoughts on this statement though...

I've heard many photographers say "if i just book X weddings, than it will easily pay for Y." To me this is a really faulty way of thinking for several reasons:

1. If one were to do an audit of their business, they would likely find that the profit from a typical wedding is anywhere from 0-50% of the package cost. Of course, by that I mean true profit... profit after paying expenses and yourself. In most cases, any discount (and any expense) dips into those profits. Once it exceeds the profit, it dips directly into your salary. I think it's dangerous to think of expenses in comparison to raw numbers. I get why it's tempting and easy (after all most photographers are solo ventures and think business money is their money), but the reality is that you simply can't trade expenses for income as a 1-for-1 exchange. Every expense takes a percentage of your overall profit or salary. It's a big picture cost.

2. If you're going to say that 1 booking can pay for itself, than you should also apply that logic to all forms of marketing. For example, walking up and down the street handing out business cards and being friendly could easily find you a few clients and cost you like $20. So 1 booking would pay for hundreds of those. Getting a referral is basically free. I don't mean to state the obvious, but my point is that if you apply the same logic to all forms of marketing you'll likely find that with a bit more effort in one area or another, you can easily get that 1 booking for much less.

3. I had a third point but it's late and I forget. If I remember, I'll edit it in

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. I actually do think that these directory sites are the right way to go for some people. There's just very, very few of those people. Before you head down the WW route, I'd try to get creative with how you market yourself. There's lots of options out there, and most of them don't involve you being another name on a list.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:52 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

I have a handful of reviews collected on wedding wire and one bride directly said she booked me because of those reviews. Which makes sense. Just think about your own shopping habits. How likely are you to buy something or go somewhere with no reviews listed?

WeddingWire has called me a few times. But I just don't see the value. Especially considering I moved from NYC to a rural town near the NY and Canadian border and weddingwire gave me a lot of grief about changing my location. It still doesn't show up right in their listings. I changed my address on my page. But my "account" is still listed in the NYC area directory.

I think from now on though I'm just going to ask for reviews through google.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone have any results via wedding wire?

I was with WW for a couple years, several years back. It was a good booking vehicle for me and clients almost always ended up booking higher packages. I probably averaged $4K per wedding through them, which I was pleased with. My clients were predominantly young professionals, often in the medical industry. Inquiries and bookings nose-dived to almost nothing a couple years ago so I abandoned ship. Not sure why, but I know I was not alone in experiencing this. With all of that said, I think it's hard to compare apples to apples here because location, rates, and quality of work will all play a role in how well one does with these types of services (and in general). If you decide to try them out, don't be afraid to negotiate a better rate with them - that's what I did.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:06 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.