Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Looks good to me Phillip, I think your copy is better than mine. (Makes me wonder if there's somewhere I could get it CLA'd.)

-Tim

Dec 25, 2015 at 09:17 AM
Olaf G
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

timballic wrote:
Interesting that the Pentax 28/3.5 pipped the OM.

Great review, Phillip.

There are (at least) two Pentax 28mm f3.5.

The Pentax K SMC 28mm f3.5 (52mm filter thread, only 2-year production run) is very close in performance to the Distagon 28mm. My sample of the Pentax is better in the corners than the Distagon at f3.5 up to f8 but has a slight mid-zone dip that only disappears at f8/f11. My sample of the Distagon has worse corners but almost no mid-zone dip. At f11 the corners are perfect (I think better than Phillip's sample). I prefer the Distagon because of the lack of the mid-zone dip.

The Pentax-M SMC 28mm f3.5 (49mm thread, more common than the 'K' Version) is very good in the center but the corners really never get good even at f11 (at least my sample on the Sony A7).

Dec 25, 2015 at 05:08 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Thanks for your input guys!

I have the K version of the Pentax 3.5/28 and will make that clearer in the description. I only compared them at f/8 but there my Distagon was a tad sharper across most of the frame with the exception of the corners. When I review the Pentax I will learn to kniw it better.

I noticed a small midzone dip with the Distagon at around 15mm which is caused by field curvature.

I would like to see some samples of your Zeiss at f/11. Only a few pixels are unsharp at this setting with my copy but they do not get sharp unless I focus on the corners and sacrifice a lot if sharpness in the center.

Dec 25, 2015 at 05:25 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Review publshed: http://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-carl-zeiss-distagon-2828-t/ If you have anything to add please let me know

Dec 27, 2015 at 03:56 AM
Olaf G
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I would like to see some samples of your Zeiss at f/11.

Ok, here you are.

The candidates are:
- Contax Distagon 28mm f2.8 MM
- Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 version 2 (i.e. optics are identical to the Pentax-A version)
- Pentax K 28mm f3.5
- Pentax K 28mm f2 ("Hollywood" Distagon)

I've included only lenses I would consider to use on the A7.

Things I've messed up:
- unintentionelly switched the ISO from 100 to 80 after the first Distagon shot
- moved the Tripod a bit before the last shot

Order of the 100% crops:
- Contax Distagon 28mm f2.8 MM (top left)
- Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 version 2 (top right)
- Pentax K 28mm f3.5 (bottom left)
- Pentax K 28mm f2 (bottom right)

All shots are @ f11 and focussed in the center.

#1 Candidates and LR settings

#2 The Scene

#3 Top left corner crops

#4 Center crops

#5 Partway crops

Edited on Dec 27, 2015 at 08:03 AM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2015 at 07:06 AM
Olaf G
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

And finally...

#6 Bottom right corner crops

Dec 27, 2015 at 07:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Thanks for posting these comparison images.

Olaf G wrote:
Order of the 100% crops (clockwise starting from the top left):
- Contax Distagon 28mm f2.8 MM (top left)
- Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 version 2 (top right)
- Pentax K 28mm f3.5 (bottom left)
- Pentax K 28mm f2 (bottom right)

The order of the image position labels is not clockwise. It should go; top left, top right, bottom right, and bottom left. Which is right, the clockwise direction description or the labels?

Dec 27, 2015 at 07:50 AM
Olaf G
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

jcolwell wrote:
Thanks for posting these comparison images.

The order of the image position labels is not clockwise. It should go; top left, top right, bottom right, and bottom left. Which is right, the clockwise direction description or the labels?

Oh dear. Apparently I was still asleep.
Thank you for pointing that out. The labels are correct.
I will edit my post.

Dec 27, 2015 at 08:02 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

I love the contrast of the Pentax 28mm f/3.5 K, and it shows in your test shots Olaf. I could also recognize the Zeiss from the color, which mine also exhibits. Thanks for doing this test, it adds a couple of lenses that I've never seen in the mix.

-Tim

Dec 27, 2015 at 08:25 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

A reader just sent me this picture of his Distagon:

it has a close focusing distance of 0.4m not 0.25 like mine. I think that's very curious, have you any idea how this can be?

Jul 22, 2016 at 03:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
A reader just sent me this picture of his Distagon: ...

it has a close focusing distance of 0.4m not 0.25 like mine. I think that's very curious, have you any idea how this can be?

Maybe somebody used a donor Distagon 35/2.8 for parts.

Jul 22, 2016 at 05:45 AM
CalBoy87
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

I had couple of those lenses, but none with such ring. Wondering how close is his lens focusing? is it 40cm or 25cm? It should be easy to test it.

Jul 22, 2016 at 07:19 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

jcolwell wrote:
Maybe somebody used a donor Distagon 35/2.8 for parts.

This is what I suspect as well.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:48 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Difference between AE and MM version of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 C/Y ?

Some lovely images in that review Phillip

Jul 22, 2016 at 04:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.