Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

rebelshooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

hey guys wondering if I am being overly paranoid.
I have an ad on the B&S forum and received a PM from a member that joined on 12/31/09 but has zero posts and no feedback. Should I be concerned? Am I being overly cautious?
What would you do?

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:03 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Does the buyer have a Facebook account, photo website somewhere, bought anything on ebay? Does the buyer want to pay with PP gift only? If the answer to all these questions comes up with a big goose egg, personally, I would not sell to this buyer. AFAIK, PP can chargeback up to 180 days after sale.

Too risky for me but I'm a little risk adverse.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:12 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

I'd probably pass unless you can do it face to face.

I think mogud is right about PP - they are really set up to favor the buyer these days.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:29 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Depends on several factors. First off everyone deserves a chance to get started. I'd try to get to know the person. What is the value of the item? How are you being paid? Being the seller is an advantage so use that. As long as you get paid in a safe manner the risk is on the buyer not you. Can you get a phone number? If so talk to him. I've made many sales to new comers. Just remember to back away if you really feel uncomfortable.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:36 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

We all start at zero, if its a reasonably priced item I would proceed. Something ultra expensive I would be careful. That said I sold my 5D III to a member that joined the day they bought it. Provided you follow the Paypal rules, tracking, signature over $250 and the transaction shows 'Seller Protection Available' I tend to go for it.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:55 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Everybody needs to get started somehow, but the first thing to do on FM does not need to be a buy or sell transaction. I've gotten quite a number of PMs from members with zero posts when I have something for sale here. In each case, I politely suggest to the member that he starts contributing to a forum here (any subject that he is interested in) so that over time we get to know him, and then other members will be more comfortable to deal with him.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:56 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

I agree that 0 posts is a risk. 0 feedback is alright - as mentioned, we all need to start somewhere. But if they're not contributing to the forum at all, it makes you wonder why they joined.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:05 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

I have dealt with members with 0 feedback it is the 0 posts with a 6 year membership that puzzles me.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:08 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

The best new buyer is one who wants to send you a check for several thousand dollars over the price of what you are selling. All you have to do is sent the item and the difference for the check. A big check means they are good to go. Ron

If some of you, (probably Nikon shooters... ), haven't figured this out - this is a joke!!

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:08 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Not sure why you didn't post this on the B&S Forum. And not sure why you would ask this question when you have made at least 57 transaction on the B&S Forum.

I have sold to FM'ers that no postings or feedback, but made sure they had a PayPal verified address, then asked for a phone number that could be cross-checked with that address. Plus asking if they had feedback elsewhere that they could prove was theirs.

As for PayPal, I sold a $3500 lens to a guy in California that had positive feedback on eBay, plus a PayPal-verified address. The money was deposited in my account, the lens was signed for upon receipt, then 2 weeks later PayPal informed me my funds were frozen because payment had been made with a stolen credit card.

Since I had not used PayPal Gift and had proof the lens had been signed for, PayPal covered the loss. So PayPal does rule in Sellers' favor in many cases.

Don't know that my phoning the buyer would have accomplished much, since phone numbers are not restricted to one address anymore.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:10 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Mickey wrote:
Depends on several factors. First off everyone deserves a chance to get started. I'd try to get to know the person. What is the value of the item? How are you being paid? Being the seller is an advantage so use that. As long as you get paid in a safe manner the risk is on the buyer not you. Can you get a phone number? If so talk to him. I've made many sales to new comers. Just remember to back away if you really feel uncomfortable.

Not with PP. The risk is on the seller.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:17 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

As others said, everybody that wants to participate in a board, has to join at some point. But many years into Web 2.0, with the plethora of ways, means and sites to while away our time, I'd say that a zero-post buyer or seller raises an immediate red flag.

Is what you're selling particularly rare or hard to get? Additionally, is the price so good that others might feel like it's a steal (no pun intended)? Do they live real close to your stated profile and want to facilitate meeting? These are some legitimate factors which influence people to join boards.

In any event, you'll need to research them a little and engage in dialogue, to turn the flag to yellow.

You might even get to green and make a sale.

I'd like to say "caveat venditor" because it sounds pithy, but in reality it's not about examination of the goods. It's more fundamental in that, do you even feel comfortable enough to attempt transacting with the other party?

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:22 PM
ShutterPonch

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Pass, wait for another buyer.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:28 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Depends on where they are located and where I am or a friend I trust. I bought a 800L from a guy in California that had 0 sales and virtually no reference. I spoke to him on the phone and decided to proceed with the deal, but the catch was I sent the money to a friend in that area I trust and he met the seller face to face. Stuck his camera body on the lens...all good.

He was flying out in 6 weeks and carried it on the plane with him. Next time I was out visiting, I got the box and checked it on the plane.....all good.

But, I always proceed in these things like I do not trust the person I am dealing with....ever! That has worked real well for me for more than 50 years.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:43 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

How about asking such buyers to pay by check or money order rather than paypal? Assuming the seller has good track record and feedback here.

Dec 22, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

It depends on how well you're willing to vet the buyer. Post history and B&S feedback is a great tool for those who have it, but it isn't necessarily a black mark against those who don't. I had a big-$ transaction with a new member in a faraway place that carried just about every red flag in the book. However, I was thorough in my vetting process and everything was just fine.

Dec 22, 2015 at 06:08 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

Hi rebelshooter,

My first post here was for the purchase of a $5,500 lens, and I think I turned out alright!

Having said that, proceed with caution. FWIW, I went out of my way and took great initiative with my seller to establish a good working relationship, building up mutual trust (I was concerned about losing my cash!), and establishing a method for payment and delivery that we were both comfortable with and agreeable to implement.

As for the giant lapse between your potential buyer's signup date and today, yeah, I'd be curious as to how that came to be so?! As my dad always used to say, the best deals are when both parties are happy. If this buyer cannot make you feel good about proceeding, don't. No sense being bashful.

Anyhoo, hope this helps!

Dec 22, 2015 at 06:11 PM
tbird2

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

I agree that we all have to start somewhere. If no one buys from the person, how do they acquire feedback? Thankfully 2 members last year sold to me when I had zero and 1 feedback.

Dec 22, 2015 at 06:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

JameelH wrote:
How about asking such buyers to pay by check or money order rather than paypal? Assuming the seller has good track record and feedback here.

Well, the OP is asking about a buyer with zero track record and feedback.

Dec 22, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sell to member with 0 posts?

There are plenty of members that simply look at photos and read threads. They have no interest in posting images or comments, therefore their first post may just be because they want to buy or sell something.

And they don't buy and sell gear as often as I do.

Dec 22, 2015 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.