Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

nextelbuddy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

I have 2 D lenses now. 20-35 2.8D and a new to me 300 F4 AF-S D type.

both lenses on the D800e show Fee when connected. Aperture ring is locked at max aperture.. F22 and F32 respective.

both lenses work perfect on my D700.

on my D800 if I hold the lens and twist them a bit, i can get the Fee to go away but it flickers back and forth like its a bad connection. I notice that both D lenses have some PLAY from left and right when locked into place.

I have cleaned contacts on both lenses and on the camera body with isopropyl alcohol and it doesnt help.

I looked at both D800 and D700 next to each other and i dont see anything different between the 2 mounts, aperture levers, contacts.

The only thing i notice is that the D800 Aperture lever is harder to move back and forth compared to the D700 which moves very easily.

I tried looking online for "nikon aperture index tab" because i saw many articles say "check your aperture index tab it could be broken"

I dont have any issues with the D800 and G lenses and they work fine.. at least they seem to work fine with no odd exposure or sticking aperture issues.

Looking or any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 22, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

I had this problem on a D3s and they ended up replacing the aperture arm assembly. However I had two problems one of which was the same that you are experiencing. I believe this problem was resolved with an adjustment and it went away. The second problem was that it would stop in the middle of a burst even with G lenses. That required the replacement as they tried two adjustments unsuccessfully.

Dec 22, 2015 at 02:40 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

Thanks for the info!

i found this thread that describes my problem exactly.. where wiggling or rotating the lens can get the error to display/go away.

the difference is that I dont think its my lens mount since both of my D lenses work perfectly on the D700 and no wiggling or rotating does anything which leads me to believe its my D800 body lens mount thats bad?

I guess I can send it it and thats fine. theres a local place called Camera Repair Japan that is also a sigma authorized warranty center. they work on all types of cameras. Or should I send it to APS Nikon Service in IL?

Looking at APS website it looks like I just fill out the online repair form and send my body and paper work to them but i would love to be able to speak to someone to ask what they think it is and how much they think it would be first.

Was hoping someone else in here had any experience with this similar error scenario.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:48 AM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

I would send both the lens and the body to Nikon.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

APS will answer the phone and talk to you. Recommend you call them.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:39 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

I had the same with a Nikon D3 and various AF-D lenses. A new D3 did not show the same problem. My guess based on the information you provided is that it's the Ai indexing tab. You did set the lenses to minimum aperture. right?

Dec 23, 2015 at 04:36 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

NightOwl Cat wrote:
APS will answer the phone and talk to you. Recommend you call them.

Thank you, I called the, yesterday and will be sending out my stuff monday morning in hopes they get it by thursday before they close up for new years and hopfully they can look at it right after new years.
---------------------------------------------

the solitaire wrote:
I had the same with a Nikon D3 and various AF-D lenses. A new D3 did not show the same problem. My guess based on the information you provided is that it's the Ai indexing tab. You did set the lenses to minimum aperture. right?

Yes, both D lenses were set to F22 and F32 respectively and locked with the switch.

it has to be something loose in the D800 side and hopefully its not a bad or hard fix and hopefully it doesnt throw off the focus tuning I have with my 85 and 58 1.4G too much but ill retune them with A Fine tune afterwards anyways.

what a crappy time for this to happen since my jan and feb are booked solid with work and I really dont want to use my D700 if i dont have to. i just dont like the colors that D700 puts out or the low resolution.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:39 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

I have been able to correct the problem in the field by removing the lens completely and then putting it back on the camera body. When I get home I use alcohol and a swab to clean the contacts. In a pinch a pencil eraser is worth a try.

When I get a new lens I will put it on and take it off a camera several times with the camera pointed down. This helps with the contacts and any plastic particles are less likely to get onto the sensor - a common problem I have encountered with a new lens.

Dec 24, 2015 at 04:53 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

If you are an NPS member you get priority repair service, and a discount on the repair. Also NPS will send you a loaner body if needed.

I have a body at Nikon LA right now for repair. They received it this Tuesday, and I had told them on the repair form that I needed back in my hands by 1/5/16. I called them today (Thursday) and was told it was repaired and they were just double checking to see that it was fixed before returning it. I should have back soon.

Dec 24, 2015 at 07:44 PM
hiudufhuk

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Fee error D type lenses... possible bad mount/lock?

Following are the steps taken from Nikon D800 Manual to repair a stucked Aperture:
Move the lever back and forth and look through the lens: the aperture on a good lens should open and close and spring back into position.
remove the 3 little black srews (circled) and the one on the side (arrow)
Remove the two black screws holding the contact plate in place. Be careful: lift up the contact plate slowly. Underneath the contact plate sits a tiny spring. The spring sits in a hole pressing against the contact plate from below.
gently take aout the inner tube. Take care about the contact plate: it is connected with some fine wires to the optical parts and cannot be removed.
extract the lens to its full length (zoom in to 300mm) and look at the inside for the aperture lever. In the picture it correctly grips the lower aperture lever. if there is a problem, the 2 parts do not line up and connect to each other
You can try to put it back in place right from this point. Use some tweezers or a plastic spudge: the upper part can gently be bent to snap back in place.
In my case I noticed another problem: the lever would not move with ease and seem to stuck and stop sometimes. Time to remove the metal ring.
unscrew the 4 screws and take off the metal ring. Attched to the metal ring is the aperture-moving lever, so you need to slide it off a long way.
The lever has a small spring attached to the metal ring: keep both parts together, to save the spring.
That retaining ring (arrow) took me a while to sort out: it doesn't belong there, but rather fell out of ther just removed metal ring.
That turned out to be the problem: the retaining ring had snapped of the metal ring, giving the aperture lever to much room to move around and disconnect from the lower aperture lever.
Put the aperture lever (see left arrow) and the retaining ring back into the metal ring as shown in the picture. Connect the spring (see center arrow) in case it was disconnected.
I bent the lever slightly to better grip onto its opponent part
In the upper left part of the first picture you'll see the auto focus pin: this one needs to be aligned in the lens body during re-assembly.
three metal rings are on the lens body: do not mix them up. Picture shows the correct order.
This can become a little tricky. Best is to extract the lens to its full lenght.
Put the metal ring back and align the auto focus pin with the gear wheel in the lens body. Slightly turn it with a screw driver until it fits into the hole of the gear wheel.
At the same time try to align the two aperture levers that they are connected
put the remaining parts back. Always tighten the screws very loosly at first and continue tighten them in a starway fashion (opposite sides).
In case you what to dissambly further: here are some detail shots of what to expect. Not necessary for the aperture fix!
removing the 4 black srews lets you remove the big optical tube. Just slide it out carefully.
You can see some decoder contacts: clean them and look for eventual problems here
I was not able to remove the optical part from the housing. Hopefully some ifixit members can jump in here.

May 02, 2017 at 01:05 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.