New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Paypal seller protection

tobycat2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paypal seller protection

I received an inquiry from a new (1 post only) interested buyer for my Nikon 14-24 lens. He was very communicative in PMs and sent payment via paypal the next day. I received payment and it is not eligible for seller protection, is an unverified account, and did not come with a shipping address (he included that in the PM). Furthermore, I didn't have to pay the fee as the buyer said he paid it (I thought sellers paid the fee, not buyers).

Is this a safe transaction and should I go ahead and ship? I'm not a big seller here and usually the paypal payments come with verified addresses and seem 100% legit, but this one lacks a lot of those additional details, and comes from a new user with only 1 post and no other feedback he can offer.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:34 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paypal seller protection

I would refund his money, run screaming in the opposite direction, and look for another buyer.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paypal seller protection

I fear you may be right. Just wondering if I could still be protected somehow to ship. I'd hate to cancel an honest transaction.

Dec 22, 2015 at 02:02 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paypal seller protection

Might be an honest transaction, but the risks are too high for you. That is one high value lens being sent to an unverified address. And Paypal already made it clear you are not protected. A compromise would be to tell the buyer to get verified.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:10 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paypal seller protection

I asked buyer to get verified and he decided to cancel payment. Seems I did the right thing, and thanks for help.

Dec 22, 2015 at 03:50 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paypal seller protection

There are free search engines to verify address..if you get one. Also if not verified DON'T deal!!!!!!
U made good decision.
Dan

Dec 24, 2015 at 09:09 AM
tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paypal seller protection

Yah I got another offer off here from a great buyer the next day, so it ended well. I didn't know you could search addresses to verify. Good to know.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paypal seller protection

A verified address by a search engine is not the same as a PayPal-verified address.

I will never ship to a buyer that does not have a PayPal-verified address.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paypal seller protection

Imagemaster wrote:
A verified address by a search engine is not the same as a PayPal-verified address.

I will never ship to a buyer that does not have a PayPal-verified address.

Not entirely correct Tony.. no disrespect Tony..I know for a fact. And I also know for a fact that PP "verified address is NOT 100% reliable. See scam here for Lesargeant, Lesargeant2, Lesargeant3 and the 5 other alias's she/he used. "Verified address by PP was an intersectoin of 2 roads in Nashua, NH.
The investigative search engine I use has been 100% correc t for 14 years and is free. If you have any info other that name, they have it. Fred "deleted" the search engine when I posted it so..can't post but it is there.
Dan

Dec 26, 2015 at 09:32 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paypal seller protection

"Paypal verified" offers the seller SOME level of protection. It may not be accurate but that is the method that Paypal uses.

Search engine, private investigator, your pet bloodhound verifying the address may be more accurate, but does not carry any weight with Paypal.

At the end of the day, if the seller is using Paypal, AND is expecting seller-protection from Paypal, the seller has to follow Paypal's rules.

Either that, or don't sell..

Dec 26, 2015 at 01:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paypal seller protection

Danpbphoto wrote:
Not entirely correct Tony.. no disrespect Tony..I know for a fact. And I also know for a fact that PP "verified address is NOT 100% reliable. See scam here for Lesargeant, Lesargeant2, Lesargeant3 and the 5 other alias's she/he used. "Verified address by PP was an intersectoin of 2 roads in Nashua, NH.
The investigative search engine I use has been 100% correc t for 14 years and is free. If you have any info other that name, they have it. Fred "deleted" the search engine when I posted it so..can't post but it is there.
Dan

No problem, Dan. All I was trying to say was that the verified address you search for is not the same criteria as a PayPal-verified address. While they may both be the same physical address, unless PayPal has verified that address, they will not honor their PayPal Protection even if the item was shipped to that same address.

And yes, I know you can be scammed even if you ship to a PayPal-verified address. As I posted earlier, I shipped a 500 f4.5 lens to a PP-verified address, but the buyer had stolen the credit card of someone. PayPal only covered the $3500 because I had proof of shipment, signature upon receipt, and a PP-verified address. Had any one of those criteria not been met, they would not have covered that loss for me.

Tony

Dec 26, 2015 at 01:30 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paypal seller protection

Imagemaster wrote:
No problem, Dan. All I was trying to say was that the verified address you search for is not the same criteria as a PayPal-verified address. While they may both be the same physical address, unless PayPal has verified that address, they will not honor their PayPal Protection even if the item was shipped to that same address.

And yes, I know you can be scammed even if you ship to a PayPal-verified address. As I posted earlier, I shipped a 500 f4.5 lens to a PP-verified address, but the buyer had stolen the credit card of someone. PayPal only covered
...Show more

Good man!

Edited on Dec 26, 2015 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paypal seller protection

To survive the Xmas season.

Dec 26, 2015 at 02:57 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paypal seller protection

D4S

Looks like someone else got taken.

Dec 26, 2015 at 08:17 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paypal seller protection

With respect to my previous post and Paypal protection, the buyer will be lucky to get just under 20% of the price he paid for the D4S back from Paypal, given a shipping loophole the seller took advantage of. The seller apparently didn't pay for signature delivery, which is stipulated by Paypal for coverage above $750.

That's as far as what I can tell from what's mentioned in that thread.

In any event, a lack of due diligence (and perhaps common sense and/or inexperience) appears to have played a major role in the way the transaction in question played out.

Dec 27, 2015 at 09:48 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.