New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Drone/Quad-Copter Advice Needed

elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Drone/Quad-Copter Advice Needed

Lots of information on the various drones and their capabilities and the support from the manufacturer or lack thereof.

What appears to be a game changer is the GoPro Karma drone. With all other drones one has to buy a newer drone model to get a better camera and better picture quality. With the GoPro there is a good chance that all that you would need is to buy a new harness and be able to use the newest and greatest GoPro camera.

What is unknown is how good the gyro operation is and how reliable the GPS and auto return capabilities and other aspects of its operation.

If buying a drone today I would be choosing between the DJI Phantom 3 or 4 or the Autel Robotics X-Star or the GoPro Hero. Worst customer support is with the DJI drones and lots of drone forums where you can learn about this and make your own judgement as to whether it is important to you.

The Autel Robotics has its own control console and does not rely on a smartphone and this provides greater range. Something to consider when looking at the different models.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:31 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Drone/Quad-Copter Advice Needed

DJI firmware has "fence" firmware that prevents flying in many areas. I know a pro photographer that had RTC(return to China) on one of his first flights. DJI CEO admits to fly away problems:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/dji-ceo-phantom-2421957
No matter what you do put in many hours of flying with a Syma x11 and/or x5.
http://tinyurl.com/z2yq65y
http://tinyurl.com/zdsnp3d

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Dan Grisez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Drone/Quad-Copter Advice Needed

Advice? Yeah...don't slice your hand on the drone and then try to pitch 90+MPH fastballs a few days later.

Oct 18, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Drone/Quad-Copter Advice Needed

For any Canadians thinking about buying a drone be aware that Transport Canada is very close to setting out the new rules that will regulate their use. I suspect the US will be looking at some of this too but that's just a guess. The most important changes will be the need to have liability insurance and prove you have the skills to fly one. There will be some form of test. On the commercial side they will loosen their grip allowing commercial use without all the current rules by putting a more simple set into play.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/transport-canada-drone-regulations-1.3810123

Now this is a topic on one of my RC forums & fortunately one member decided to ask this reported why there wasn't any mention of MAAC & the reported was kind enough to answer saying they had never heard of us but would look into learning about us & the role we may play when the current proposals become law. MAAC & AMA may be the only reasonably priced way to buy insurance but it may also take a bit of time to get the underwriters to put a price on all the new risks. All of this will have an influence on who can do what & where and the legal people will have the power to stop / arrest etc once this stuff is the law.

Oct 22, 2016 at 04:01 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Drone/Quad-Copter Advice Needed

I thought I could add a bit of important info relating to this now that I have bought one. There's more to buy than just the drone & it can get expensive if you don't do your homework. I bought a DJI product & it won't operate without linking via WiFi to a tablet or Smartphone running the DJI Go app which is necessary to track the telemetry & see what the camera sees etc. I knew I would need to buy a tablet but wasn't aware very few can reliably run that app, and the same applies to a lot of Smart phones. Unless you have one of the few recommended android tablets or an Apple phone or tablet you may be spending more than planned. The DJI Go app seems to be designed primarily for Apple brand devices such as the Ipad Mini 2 & 4 or their Smart Phones. Tablets also "should" have cell service for maps. (a small window in the corner of the display shows the local area map so you know roughly where the drone is relative to you.)

Dec 10, 2016 at 01:38 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password