New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

Trunkmonkee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

I'm new to the "serious" wedding photography, although I've done a few in the past with less gear.

So, advice time: if you have no assistants and you're on your own, what kind of setup do you usually bring, what do you have on your person at all times (2 cameras? Backpack full of lenses? Set stuff in a corner?), and critical tips you wish you knew before.

"Mobile" Gear at present:

Canon 5D mk III
Canon 70-200L
Canon 24-105L

42" Reflectors
2x3 Softbox
Beauty dish
Snoot
Barndoors
41" Umbrella
Avenger A635B & Manfrotto 1004BAC stands

x2 Profoto B1 500 Lights (possibly soon to be 3)

Dec 21, 2015 at 02:02 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

For weddings, the important thing is BACK UP GEAR FOR EVERYTHING!!! You only have one camera body? You are ASKING for big trouble! If your only camera quits working, gets a drink spilled on it, drunken uncle hides it for a joke, someone steals it, little kid grabs and breaks it--whatever, do you think they're just going to pause the wedding while you go to a store and buy another camera You also list no on-camera flash (and again you need back up.) You are also weak on lenses--f4 as your main lens? Seriously?

My suggested list for VERY basic gear:

1. Two camera bodies, maybe a third. (Great if all the same model so you don't screw up settings. Cameras should be able to use two memory cards at once (cards set to back up.)

2. A 24-70mm f2.8 and a 70-200mm VR f2.8. Must be f2.8.

3. Back up lenses in case above gets stolen/breaks. I suggest 35mm f1.8G and 85mm f1.8G at a minimum.

4. Four spare camera batteries, two sets of fresh AA for each flash.

5. TWO on camera flash such as Nikon SB-910, plus mini-softbox/Gary Fong.

6. Three monolights (one is spare,) two spare bulbs, three stands, softboxex, umbrellas, extra cords, extension cord, duct tape to tape down cords, sandbags/weights.

7. Enough memory cards for 2,000 images.

8. Good software such as CC and Portrait Pro.

9. Good insurance policy for gear and lawsuits in case you do screw up. (seriously, it happens.)

Everything MUST have a back up. To not do so is very foolish and will bite you. The above is the minimum I'd feel comfortable with. The very minimum.

Kent in SD

Edited on Dec 24, 2015 at 08:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:02 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

^^^ Yup,

No double is asking for trouble.

Everything should have a backup, bodies, lenses, memory (make sure it's they are working the night before!), batteries and many other little things I can't think of right now.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

The only thing I would add to the above responses is a tripod. Makes life a lot easier when doing groups or setting up for portraits. Worked for me when I was shooting weddings.

Dec 23, 2015 at 01:23 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

In general forget about the softboxes etc. as you will not have the time to do the setup and take down as a solo photographer who is covering the bride and her entourage and the groom with his guys and the two families.

There are no retakes with weddings so you need to be 100% certain you can get the job done no matter what, and that includes equipment failure. I have talked to women where the photographer screwed up and 20 years later the pain is still fresh in their mind. And you also screw up the other members of two families and the bridal party and their guests.

I made the mistake of taking two D2x pro bodies to a wedding and one failed right before the processional was going to start. I had to shoot the remainder of the day with only one body and I missed a lot of shots while changing lenses from the 24-70mm to the 70-200mm and back again throughout the day.

For me a bare minimum kit consists of
3 cameras all capable of clean ISO 3200 images
3 SB-800 speedlights
Battery pack for the speedlight to cut recycle time
14-24mm f2.8 (16-35mm f2.8 for Canon shooters)
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8 VR/IS
105mm f2 DC prime lens (85mm f1.4 for Canon shooters)
77mm +4 screw on closeup lens for use taking macro shots with the 24-70mm lens.

I have a group shot kit as well that consists of:
Gitzo 2531LVL fast leveling tripod
Better Brackets bracket with quick release bracket for the tripod mounting
Quantum Qflash
Quantum DW hot shoe mounted control and transmitter mounted on bracket arm
Light stand
Umbrella and Qflash reflectors - umbrella is usually worthless outdoors

When I shot with Canon camera I used a lot more primes as the IQ and autofocus accuracy of the 16-35mm and 24-70mm lenses left a lot to be desired. No such worries with the Nikon lenses.

Dec 24, 2015 at 05:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Weddings: Single Photographer Gear & Tips

Whenever possible, keep it simple!

Shooting solo, I would pretty much ditch any off camera lighting unless it's for indoor group/family shots. If outside, it's usually possible to find a location in open shade with clean light. This is why, whenever possible, one scouts locations before the actual day of the wedding. Setting up lighting for the couple's shoot IMO adds a lot of variables that tend to bog down how much different stuff you can shoot quickly. You're usually in a time crunch.

For most of the daytime photography, I try to work available light. Indoors too if the light quality is decent. Otherwise it's bounced flash. At the reception I'll set up lights. Either several Canon 600EXRT flashes, or a couple monolights. Depends on what I'm after. The Canon flashes are great for the built-in radio control. While they're not going to light up a whole hall, you probably don't want to anyway (too much/too powerful flashing can and will bother those in attendance).

You may wish to consider if you want the convenience of the 'standard' zooms or the look available from primes. In any case, two cameras is ideal to reduce lens swapping. As mentioned, suitable backup is desirable, meaning a third camera would be good. Also, it's easier to shoot with two identical cameras due to the identical UI, etc. If one is a newer model and the other is older, chances are you will favor the newer over the older and will be switching lenses more often to try to keep using the newer (better) one. Two identical cameras eliminates this. While sometimes two different cameras can each bring strengths the other doesn't provide, in the end, it may not make a noticeable difference for the client.

I try to work with everything I need on me and at easy access. I use a Shootsac for carrying the lenses I immediately need but aren't currently on the cameras, as well as one flash, 4xAA, extra camera battery, lens cleaning cloth, a Cliff bar, my car keys, credit cards, cash, etc... I don't like a lot of things in my dress pants pockets. IMO it doesn't look so good. All the backup gear, extra flashes, lenses, batteries, chargers, etc. are in a suitably sized backpack. Others may prefer rollers or shoulder bags. In any case this is the 'transport' bag and isn't necessarily ideal for shooting out of. It's something I stash nearby when I get to each location so it's reasonably easy to access. Leaving it in the car is a bit of a risk. Not so much that it will get stolen (though that is a factor), rather, the time you'll lose retrieving it if and when one of your primaries fails and you need the backup.

My technical approach to weddings is I generally shoot primes: 21, 28 or 35, 50, 85. For some situations I'll use a 70-200, like during a ceremony when movement is restricted, or for different perspectives than the main photographer if I'm second shooting. Otherwise I'd say most of my shots when in more controllable situations are 28/50/85 primes with two cameras.

Lately I've mostly been second shooting. This removes some of the equipment burden. I do bring backups, but not to the nth degree like if I was solo. IMO, it's a good way to see how other photographers shoot weddings...

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:48 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.