New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

andylaiphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

Hey guys.

I'm due for new monitor. I haven't been keeping up with what's on the market. What are some suggestions for monitors that are sub $900? I'm added video to my work now if that makes any difference to your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2015 at 07:26 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

A little more info about your usage is needed. For example:
- Do you need wide gamut?
- How large of a monitor?
- How many pixels will your graphics card handle?
- Do you have a color calibrator of some sort?

For a start, maybe consider a refurb NEC PA242 or 272. Or, if B&H still has them on sale, you could get a new one for the price you're after.

Dec 20, 2015 at 09:59 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

A number of folks are using NEC products (including me) and seem to be pleased with them.

Since you brought up video though, what sort of processing requirements do you have? Those will determine whether you need to think about PC upgrades as well.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:46 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

The PA272 will be a slight $$ stretch but it's a tremendously flexible & quality unit. The 24" 242 is will within your numbers.

Dec 21, 2015 at 07:28 AM
chris cupp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

this is a great deal right now. I bought one over the summer and am pretty happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PC9HFO8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Dec 21, 2015 at 09:16 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

The lab in my photography department has those NEC's and I find they don't profile very well :/

Dec 23, 2015 at 08:48 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

They are the only ones.

Without knowing more info as to the details of what/how they do it, it'd be difficult to say 'why'.

Dec 23, 2015 at 08:50 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

What are they using to profile the [NEC] monitors, and how are they doing it? (I assume you were referring to the NECs and not the Dells mentioned earlier; please ignore if you were really referring to the Dells). I've used NEC SpectraVision II with both NEC's sensor and a DataColor Spyder4, and these tools work fine on both of my monitors on a Mac. DataColor's Spyder4Elite software also works, but I prefer the results from SpectraView with the NEC/i1 sensor. I know a number of people using NEC/SpectraView and have read about many others.

Dec 23, 2015 at 02:21 PM
hatch1921
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

I'm on the 6th month with this monitor and I am very pleased with the performance.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451320175&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+34+inch+curved+monitor

Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor

I was using dual monitors and decided to go this direction. The work space in PS or LR .. well... it's huge

I'm using Spyder 4 and calibrate it every couple of weeks... love this monitor!

hope this helps,
Hatch

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:32 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

I LOVE my new NEC PA272W!
I just got all of these things, so more testing is due, but so far, I find it profiles very good with SpectraViewII and the Xrite i1 Photo Pro 2 spectrometer.
It also profiles good with the Xrite i1 Profiler software too, though, SpectraviewII seems to be better.

Dec 30, 2015 at 08:45 PM
srikum
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need New Monitor Suggestions

buggz2k wrote:
I LOVE my new NEC PA272W!

+1

Jan 26, 2016 at 03:13 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.