New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Young Chess Players

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Young Chess Players

A complex game, good to start young. As usual, your critiques and suggestions appreciated.

Steve

© eeneryma 2015

Young Chess Players

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Young Chess Players

Looks pretty good to me, is this without flash? I might have used a bit of fill flash or pulled up some shadows a bit, or maybe that's just the landscaper in me.

I would get rid of that sliver of wood upper left corner and maybe that light blue triangle lower right (part of the chair). I sort of wish the plastic bag was not there but on the other hand it might be part of the context. Young players with a fairly simple chess set.

Good expressions on the players.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Young Chess Players

ben egbert wrote:
Looks pretty good to me, is this without flash? I might have used a bit of fill flash or pulled up some shadows a bit, or maybe that's just the landscaper in me.

I would get rid of that sliver of wood upper left corner and maybe that light blue triangle lower right (part of the chair). I sort of wish the plastic bag was not there but on the other hand it might be part of the context. Young players with a fairly simple chess set.

Good expressions on the players.

Great suggestions Ben. Thank you. Some photoshop magic, getting rid of top and right slivers. Also lightened slight chipmunk eyes on smiling player. No flash on this, although it would have been productive.

© eeneryma 2015

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Young Chess Players

I agree with Ben. A bit of flash, or if not an option, some significant shadow recovery/exposure adjustment. Also I think the color temp is a bit cool. Used WB from papers in the background, grays in the clothes to estimate accurate color temp.

slight crop added.

Scott

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:00 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Young Chess Players

sbeme wrote:
I agree with Ben. A bit of flash, or if not an option, some significant shadow recovery/exposure adjustment. Also I think the color temp is a bit cool. Used WB from papers in the background, grays in the clothes to estimate accurate color temp.

slight crop added.

Scott

Per your super eye

© eeneryma 2015

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Young Chess Players

I like it.

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:11 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Young Chess Players

Also, per your suggestion, a color balance adjustment that Keith generously showed me how to do some time ago.

© eeneryma 2015

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Young Chess Players

Better yet.

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Young Chess Players

Steve - in a game with White vs. Black I think it's only appropriate to post a mono rendition. Bring it on!

Jeff

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Young Chess Players

+1 @ mono.

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:44 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Young Chess Players

beavens wrote:
Steve - in a game with White vs. Black I think it's only appropriate to post a mono rendition. Bring it on!

Jeff

You know me, always thinking color. Thanks for the suggestion! B&W via silver efex pro.

© eeneryma 2015

Chess Players B&W

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:46 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Young Chess Players

More engaging for me. Even the players are representing their colors and playing up the big opposites theme.

Jeff

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:55 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Young Chess Players

This is the coolest thread. It makes me smile to follow this from the beginning to the end result.

Well done Steve! You turned an average snap into a cool photograph.
Kudos to all that guided the way!

Dave

Dec 20, 2015 at 01:55 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Young Chess Players

Steve - quick nit would be to clone out the lil piece of material lower-left under the downed white pawn.

Jeff

Dec 20, 2015 at 02:01 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Young Chess Players

lighthound wrote:
This is the coolest thread. It makes me smile to follow this from the beginning to the end result.

Well done Steve! You turned an average snap into a cool photograph.
Kudos to all that guided the way!

Dave

The generosity and contributions of all on Photo Critique is what makes this an incredible place to visit and grow. Thanks to all for their guidance.

Dec 20, 2015 at 02:34 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Young Chess Players

beavens wrote:
Steve - quick nit would be to clone out the lil piece of material lower-left under the downed white pawn.

Jeff

Missed that little black sliver. It was a black bishop on it's side that I had almost cropped out.

Steve

© eeneryma 2015

Dec 20, 2015 at 02:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Young Chess Players

evolving nicely and I like it better as BW too.
I think the "actual" color temp is probably a bit cooler than my rendition and a bit warmer than yours
there is also room for personal preference over accuracy (not that I am super a color skin tones)

Scott

Dec 20, 2015 at 02:41 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Young Chess Players

sbeme wrote:
evolving nicely and I like it better as BW too.
I think the "actual" color temp is probably a bit cooler than my rendition and a bit warmer than yours
there is also room for personal preference over accuracy (not that I am super a color skin tones)

Scott

The lighting in the room where I shot this was incandescent. When I was beginning to process the image in raw, I clicked the eye dropper to set the white balance. Sometimes this seems to work better than other times.

Dec 20, 2015 at 02:48 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Young Chess Players

Neat evolution. I had to check what forum I was looking at; this would be well shown in the people forum, I think.

Dec 20, 2015 at 03:55 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Young Chess Players

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Neat evolution. I had to check what forum I was looking at; this would be well shown in the people forum, I think.

Thanks for the suggestion Ernie. Occasionally I cross post to other forums. I wasn't sure if the "people" forum would be interested in this as it's not a "studio" or lighting specific shot, but more a "candid" or "street" photo. Will take a closer look at the people forum.

Dec 20, 2015 at 04:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.