23              28       29       end

Sony Smooth Reflection App

Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

sullivanrp wrote:
that PITA is nothing compared to stacking those files yourself in photoshop
I know my post-production could use some refinement and more practice when focus stacking, but if I was shooting this style often enough and this device doesn't take too long to process the files while being used it would seem worth it.

Don't quote me on that but if I remember correctly, they said the shots will be stacked as more shots are being taken. In other words, it doesn't wait for the cameras to finish all the shots first before the merging process starts.

Nov 29, 2017 at 04:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

kdrk888 wrote:
Don't quote me on that but if I remember correctly, they said the shots will be stacked as more shots are being taken. In other words, it doesn't wait for the cameras to finish all the shots first before the merging process starts.

That's correct. So it will be seamless. It's a pain to do this in Photoshop (slow even on fast machines)

Nov 29, 2017 at 04:18 PM
elimoss
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Fred, does it use JPEGs in the intermediary steps while stacking on the small device, or RAWs? I think with a full USB connection it could probably use RAWs, so that's cool

Nov 29, 2017 at 05:44 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

I just saw this (through a link on DPReview) for a remote controller for Sony that includes focus stacking and timelapse. Faster transfer than through the Sony Remote by the look of it (which is pretty sluggish). I emailed them to verify an Android tablet will work, and if so will sign up for one.

http://www.cam-fi.com/en/camfi-pro/index.html

Dec 05, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

mcbroomf wrote:
I just saw this (through a link on DPReview) for a remote controller for Sony that includes focus stacking and timelapse. Faster transfer than through the Sony Remote by the look of it (which is pretty sluggish). I emailed them to verify an Android tablet will work, and if so will sign up for one.

http://www.cam-fi.com/en/camfi-pro/index.html

I wish it supported image averaging as well. (just the SR app)

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:38 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Yes, easier if the app would do it.

I got confirmation that tablets work, but unfortunately not focus stacking for Sony.
"The focus stacking is not supported for Sony cameras. The Sony camera firmware do not provide the focus control feature. "

Dec 05, 2017 at 04:11 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Sorry for the stupid question but I'm wondering if I purchase a used Sony RX1rii today the apps aren't on it anymore? Or you can't buy them anymore?

Lynn

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:21 PM
brafman
• •
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Lynn Ross wrote:
Sorry for the stupid question but I'm wondering if I purchase a used Sony RX1rii today the apps aren't on it anymore? Or you can't buy them anymore?

Lynn

You can still buy them for the cameras they work on. The apps have never been available on an A9 or A7riii, and that remains true today.

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:16 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

You'd have no problems getting SR and Sky HDR onto a new RX1RII.
It's only the new cameras (A7RIII, A9 and A99) that don't support the apps.

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Ah! Cool
Thanks
Lynn

Dec 18, 2017 at 09:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thrice
• • • •
p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

First time playing with the SR app in earnest. Really quite useful in terms of increasing SNR and getting long exposure effects without the downside of increased noise!

35mm Zeiss ZM 1.4 with 5m PCX

Dec 25, 2017 at 01:47 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

thrice wrote:
First time playing with the SR app in earnest. Really quite useful in terms of increasing SNR and getting long exposure effects without the downside of increased noise!

Especially with the excellent ZM 35 with front filter as adding filters without vignetting can be tricky. Lovely shots. The SR app works great though it works best in my experience between 8 and 64 shots. More than that it can start introducing some negative effects. I read an explanation as to why around here somewhere. Wish we had this functionality on the riii. I will keep an RII for this reason (and as a backup).

Dec 25, 2017 at 02:02 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.22 #13 · p.22 #13 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

I haven't tried the current SR app on either of the A7R2 or the RX100V but the focus bracketing works on both except is only does 3 images on the A7R2, but I have tried 10 images so far on the RX100V with excellent results mounted on my hiking stick as a monopod. When the rain and fog stops and the trails dry up somewhat I'll try some greater image counts. That is if the snow does not start.

Dec 26, 2017 at 03:53 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.22 #14 · p.22 #14 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Luvwine wrote:
Especially with the excellent ZM 35 with front filter as adding filters without vignetting can be tricky. Lovely shots. The SR app works great though it works best in my experience between 8 and 64 shots. More than that it can start introducing some negative effects. I read an explanation as to why around here somewhere. Wish we had this functionality on the riii. I will keep an RII for this reason (and as a backup).

I have a CPL in front of the PCX in the second shot. My PCX is custom (48mm diameter, 1mm thickness) and sits inside very close to the front element and is retained with a 49-52mm step up ring. I'll post pics of it at some point.

Dec 28, 2017 at 03:17 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.22 #15 · p.22 #15 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

So many members here, can’t we influence Sony to enable these apps for 3rd gen cameras also?

Mar 30, 2018 at 02:21 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.22 #16 · p.22 #16 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

I just noticed that the SR app is supported in RX10 M3
RX100 IV and V
a6300
a6500

RX10 IV is not supported.

Mar 30, 2018 at 02:36 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.22 #17 · p.22 #17 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Just a thought: the 1“ compacts face a 3 stop DR disadvantage vs FF at base ISO. If we take 2^3=8 shots with SR that should cancel out this disadvantage, shouldn‘t it?
Pretty amazing stuff and a pity that Sony dropped support in its latest cameras without offering e.g. a native implementation...

nandadevieast wrote:
I just noticed that the SR app is supported in RX10 M3
RX100 IV and V
a6300
a6500

RX10 IV is not supported.

Mar 31, 2018 at 01:07 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.22 #18 · p.22 #18 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

They would need to be implemented from scratch in the new api. Since the older cameras are an Android 4.x based OS programming the apps and porting them between models was simple.

nandadevieast wrote:
So many members here, can’t we influence Sony to enable these apps for 3rd gen cameras also?

Mar 31, 2018 at 09:29 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.22 #19 · p.22 #19 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

Interesting! I was not aware of the OS change. That pretty much explains it, but I hope they'll bring the popular apps - esp. multiframe NR in RAW - back somehow...

Otherwise I'll probably just have to buy an RX100V, filter adapter and 3 spare batteries for light hiking

Apr 01, 2018 at 06:14 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.22 #20 · p.22 #20 · Sony Smooth Reflection App

thrice wrote:
They would need to be implemented from scratch in the new api. Since the older cameras are an Android 4.x based OS programming the apps and porting them between models was simple.

If they are Android based then a developer over on XDA should be able to program the new app. Can't be any worse than jailbreaking some of those phones. Albeit, I've been long since removed from messing around with any of that stuff. But it's worth a request. Where did you read that the cameras were Android based?

Apr 01, 2018 at 06:31 AM
1       2       3              21      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.